Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
buccaneer66

Google Earth Canal & River Map.

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Are Monks Lode and Great Ravelley Drain navigable as they are shown on the attached map?

NavBridges2013.pdf

Yes I believe so, though I have not done them yet. There are some more modern obstructions so I suspect one could get further south in the past.  Sorry I should have sent you that map before ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've decided to sort out and finish the Middle Levels for my next update and looking at old OS maps there are a few different names compared to today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Middle Level is now done, I'm just waiting for the web site owner to upload my data.

 

I'm going to finish off the East unless anyone wants me to complete another waterway first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After I finish waterways in the east, there won't be any updates to the map for sometime unless anyones spots errors that need fixing, as we have had comments about it I'm going to do the BCN which as everyone can imagine is going to take me a while.

 

Reg do the middle levels look right to you now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After quite a while another update has been uploaded to the map, I've done the Dudley canals and the Stourbridge canal so if anyone spots any errors please let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is very fine. Two specific comments on the Eastern stuff:

 

  • the relief channel north of Denver (incorrectly shown in the map as the Great Ouse) is navigable for quite a distance north,
  • something odd at Three Holes on the middle level. The short northern section (along goose  berry lane) is a road, not a waterway.

As a general point, in some places you are showing waterways that are no longer navigable in a different colour. In most they are the same colour of blue. Is that deliberate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

This is very fine. Two specific comments on the Eastern stuff:

 

  • the relief channel north of Denver (incorrectly shown in the map as the Great Ouse) is navigable for quite a distance north,
  • something odd at Three Holes on the middle level. The short northern section (along goose  berry lane) is a road, not a waterway.

As a general point, in some places you are showing waterways that are no longer navigable in a different colour. In most they are the same colour of blue. Is that deliberate?

Thinking of having a go at this on our Great Ouse cruise next year( 69ft boat). Do you know what mooring/turning is like?

 

 From google earth it looks pretty wide with quite a few pontoon moorings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks yes I see it says great ouse on the map but unfortunately I can't change that but I'll inform google about the mistake, I found a map showing the relief channel navigable to Saddle Bow is that correct?

 

At Three Holes that short northern section is the original line of Popham's Eau

 

Yes in some places I've deliberately highlighted old routes such as the Oxfords old loops. 

 

 

popham.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Thinking of having a go at this on our Great Ouse cruise next year( 69ft boat). Do you know what mooring/turning is like?

 

 From google earth it looks pretty wide with quite a few pontoon moorings.

This gives you the general idea. What is quite surprising is that this entire stretch was only built in 1960. I've not been any further north than Downham Market (as on this photo), and you might get a bit bored. I think there are  two further pontoon moorings, I have heard good reports of the pub at Stowbridge.

http://www.theheronstowbridge.com/our-story

dsc_0847.jpg.288d7edb03a15085f5a6fbaca5a46114.jpg

58 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Thanks yes I see it says great ouse on the map but unfortunately I can't change that but I'll inform google about the mistake, I found a map showing the relief channel navigable to Saddle Bow is that correct?

 

At Three Holes that short northern section is the original line of Popham's Eau

 

Yes in some places I've deliberately highlighted old routes such as the Oxfords old loops. 

 

 

popham.JPG

Fascinating - not seen that map before!   Yes the relief channel is navigable almost to the outfall sluice.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy
  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

This gives you the general idea. What is quite surprising is that this entire stretch was only built in 1960. I've not been any further north than Downham Market (as on this photo), and you might get a bit bored. I think there are  two further pontoon moorings, I have heard good reports of the pub at Stowbridge.

http://www.theheronstowbridge.com/our-story

dsc_0847.jpg.288d7edb03a15085f5a6fbaca5a46114.jpg

Fascinating - not seen that map before!   Yes the relief channel is navigable almost to the outfall sluice.

I have been as far as the water skiing zone  https://nbharnser.blogspot.com/2012/03/tuesday-13-march-2012-brandon-creek.html I may have some photos

DSCF7645small.jpg

DSCF7641small.jpg

DSCF7644small.jpg

DSCF7665small.jpg

Edited by ditchcrawler
Added photos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Thinking of having a go at this on our Great Ouse cruise next year( 69ft boat). Do you know what mooring/turning is like?

 

 From google earth it looks pretty wide with quite a few pontoon moorings.

Have been up to the limit of navigation in Fulbourne (71 ft 6in). Plenty of room to turn. There us a pontoon mòoring at Station Road bridge, convenient for Watlington Station, and the Cock Inn is just across the main river channel.

  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Thinking of having a go at this on our Great Ouse cruise next year( 69ft boat). Do you know what mooring/turning is like?

 

 From google earth it looks pretty wide with quite a few pontoon moorings.

PS There is a fun control panel by the lock at Denver. You can type in your mobile phone number, so that the EA can contact you if they need to clear the waterway (ie for serious flood relief purposes, when the current might get a  bit strong). You can then "sign yourself out" on the way back. I am not sure it has ever been used in anger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

PS There is a fun control panel by the lock at Denver. You can type in your mobile phone number, so that the EA can contact you if they need to clear the waterway (ie for serious flood relief purposes, when the current might get a  bit strong). You can then "sign yourself out" on the way back. I am not sure it has ever been used in anger.

We haven't been on the Gt Ouse for a while. I don't recall the relief channel lock or the control panel thingy at all. Will look out for both. At the very least a trip to Downham Market looks worthwhile. 

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

PS There is a fun control panel by the lock at Denver. You can type in your mobile phone number, so that the EA can contact you if they need to clear the waterway (ie for serious flood relief purposes, when the current might get a  bit strong). You can then "sign yourself out" on the way back. I am not sure it has ever been used in anger.

I'm sure there's been a couple of times when I've forgotten to sign out. Perhaps they think we're still down there.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm working on the BCN main line now, working my way along from Aldersley junction if there is anything currently missing along this route that anyone spots I'll add it as I go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.