Google Earth Canal & River Map. (Canalmaponline)

Chris Lowe

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Are Monks Lode and Great Ravelley Drain navigable as they are shown on the attached map?

NavBridges2013.pdf

Yes I believe so, though I have not done them yet. There are some more modern obstructions so I suspect one could get further south in the past.  Sorry I should have sent you that map before ....

• 4 weeks later...

After I finish waterways in the east, there won't be any updates to the map for sometime unless anyones spots errors that need fixing, as we have had comments about it I'm going to do the BCN which as everyone can imagine is going to take me a while.

Reg do the middle levels look right to you now?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

This is very fine. Two specific comments on the Eastern stuff:

• the relief channel north of Denver (incorrectly shown in the map as the Great Ouse) is navigable for quite a distance north,
  • something odd at Three Holes on the middle level. The short northern section (along goose  berry lane) is a road, not a waterway.

As a general point, in some places you are showing waterways that are no longer navigable in a different colour. In most they are the same colour of blue. Is that deliberate?

20 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

This is very fine. Two specific comments on the Eastern stuff:

• the relief channel north of Denver (incorrectly shown in the map as the Great Ouse) is navigable for quite a distance north,
  • something odd at Three Holes on the middle level. The short northern section (along goose  berry lane) is a road, not a waterway.

As a general point, in some places you are showing waterways that are no longer navigable in a different colour. In most they are the same colour of blue. Is that deliberate?

Thinking of having a go at this on our Great Ouse cruise next year( 69ft boat). Do you know what mooring/turning is like?

From google earth it looks pretty wide with quite a few pontoon moorings.

Thanks yes I see it says great ouse on the map but unfortunately I can't change that but I'll inform google about the mistake, I found a map showing the relief channel navigable to Saddle Bow is that correct?

At Three Holes that short northern section is the original line of Popham's Eau

Yes in some places I've deliberately highlighted old routes such as the Oxfords old loops. 

popham.JPG

57 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Thinking of having a go at this on our Great Ouse cruise next year( 69ft boat). Do you know what mooring/turning is like?

This gives you the general idea. What is quite surprising is that this entire stretch was only built in 1960. I've not been any further north than Downham Market (as on this photo), and you might get a bit bored. I think there are  two further pontoon moorings, I have heard good reports of the pub at Stowbridge.

http://www.theheronstowbridge.com/our-story

dsc_0847.jpg.288d7edb03a15085f5a6fbaca5a46114.jpg

58 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Thanks yes I see it says great ouse on the map but unfortunately I can't change that but I'll inform google about the mistake, I found a map showing the relief channel navigable to Saddle Bow is that correct?

At Three Holes that short northern section is the original line of Popham's Eau

Yes in some places I've deliberately highlighted old routes such as the Oxfords old loops. 

popham.JPG

Fascinating - not seen that map before!   Yes the relief channel is navigable almost to the outfall sluice.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy
  • Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

This gives you the general idea. What is quite surprising is that this entire stretch was only built in 1960. I've not been any further north than Downham Market (as on this photo), and you might get a bit bored. I think there are  two further pontoon moorings, I have heard good reports of the pub at Stowbridge.

http://www.theheronstowbridge.com/our-story

dsc_0847.jpg.288d7edb03a15085f5a6fbaca5a46114.jpg

Fascinating - not seen that map before!   Yes the relief channel is navigable almost to the outfall sluice.

I have been as far as the water skiing zone  https://nbharnser.blogspot.com/2012/03/tuesday-13-march-2012-brandon-creek.html I may have some photos

DSCF7645small.jpg

DSCF7641small.jpg

DSCF7644small.jpg

DSCF7665small.jpg

Edited by ditchcrawler
Added photos

12 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Have been up to the limit of navigation in Fulbourne (71 ft 6in). Plenty of room to turn. There us a pontoon mòoring at Station Road bridge, convenient for Watlington Station, and the Cock Inn is just across the main river channel.

• Happy 1

12 hours ago, rusty69 said:

PS There is a fun control panel by the lock at Denver. You can type in your mobile phone number, so that the EA can contact you if they need to clear the waterway (ie for serious flood relief purposes, when the current might get a  bit strong). You can then "sign yourself out" on the way back. I am not sure it has ever been used in anger.

1 minute ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

PS There is a fun control panel by the lock at Denver. You can type in your mobile phone number, so that the EA can contact you if they need to clear the waterway (ie for serious flood relief purposes, when the current might get a  bit strong). You can then "sign yourself out" on the way back. I am not sure it has ever been used in anger.

We haven't been on the Gt Ouse for a while. I don't recall the relief channel lock or the control panel thingy at all. Will look out for both. At the very least a trip to Downham Market looks worthwhile. 

• Greenie 1

43 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I'm sure there's been a couple of times when I've forgotten to sign out. Perhaps they think we're still down there.

• Greenie 1

• 2 months later...

No, they don't. There's a de facto closure from Ryders Green Junction to Swan Bridge Junction due to pollution. CRT have put a sign in the middle of the channel asking people not to proceed (at least, they had a few years ago... I presume it's still there).

I think the last boat down there was 2010 sometime. I know we tried in May 2013 and this was as far as we could get! 

2013_0527_153756.JPG.f51e4c726ed99281583995872474dec5.JPG

6 hours ago, Richard Fairhurst said:

There's a de facto closure from Ryders Green Junction to Swan Bridge Junction due to pollution. CRT have put a sign in the middle of the channel asking people not to proceed (at least, they had a few years ago... I presume it's still there).

I don't think there's actually an official closure, I think it's just a polite request, although as above, you can't navigate anyway. I also think the sign has now gone, but suspect it wasn't CRT who removed it!