Google Earth Canal & River Map. (Canalmaponline)

Chris Lowe

Featured Posts

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Does anyone have any information on the very short lived Pen Clawdd canal in South Wales?

Google search brings up more than 7 results!
Including a book, photographs and a reference from CaRT.

https://www.google.com/search?q=penclawdd+canal&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

River Great Ouse and various tributaries updated, now doing the Cam and various Lodes.

Thank you, can you remind me what your policy is on whether waterways are navigable? There are quite a few on the Fens section of your map that are no longer navigable. 

I'm trying to map all of our UK and Irish waterways that are currently navigable and also those that used to be navigable, and that includes both canal and river navigations.

I've had some particularly challenging former navigations to map as there are a good number that closed before OS got started mapping.

36 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

I'm trying to map all of our UK and Irish waterways that are currently navigable and also those that used to be navigable, and that includes both canal and river navigations.

I've had some particularly challenging former navigations to map as there are a good number that closed before OS got started mapping.

Thanks, a great task!  You do need to add the relief channel north of Denver Sluice, to (I think) the last bridge before the sluice at the north end., Wiggenhall St Germans.

2 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

Thanks I had noticed the lock going into the relief channel but wasn't sure how far it is navigable.

I've now updated the River Cam and the Cambridgeshire Lodes.

You could also add a bit more to the SW corner of the Middle Level, eg New Dyke is navigable as far as the railway, just to the south of Holme.