Google Earth Canal & River Map. (Canalmaponline)

Chris Lowe

Featured Posts

I have created a large Google Earth file mapping all the canal & river navigations that i have so far been able to find, I can make the base GE file available but it can be viewed on-line here: http://www.railmaponline.com/Canals.php if anyone spots any omissions or errors please let me know.

Not all the navigations have all the locks and bridges marked yet I'm gradually working my way through doing these, the Oxford canal is currently being done.

Chris

• Greenie 2

Thanks it has taken a long time and for some of the long gone obscure canals a lot of research as well.

It isn't supposed to be a navigation map as I've included disused and long destroyed waterways, and others have the navigation side of things well covered. 

You'll find that Ireland is complete for locks, bridges and other features, Brian at https://irishwaterwayshistory.com helped with this and for the UK I've done:

River Thames
Grand Union Canal
Kennet & Avon Canal
Somerset Coal Canal
Wilts & Berks Canal
Thames & Severn Canal
Bridgewater & Taunton Canal
Itchen Navigation
Portsmouth & Arundel Canal
Wey & Arun Canal (This one has even more detail as I'm a trust member)
Baybridge Canal
Sussex Ouse Navigation
River Medway
River Stour (Kent)
River Wey
Basingstoke Canal
Monkland Canal

Currently doing the Oxford canal from Hawksbury junction down.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this - very fine.   As you say above includes derelict canals as well as current ones.

I think something odd has happened with Limehouse basin. The original exit from Limehouse Cut direct to the Thames is shown, and also the later link built to Regents Canal Dock/Limehouse basin. But you show three exits from the basin to the river, and I don't think that is right??

You could add Deptford Creek, which is navigable.

This probably needs cross checking with the very fine map in the London Canal Museum ...

Thanks Scholar Gypsy I'll check limehouse basin, I think I did show the now filled in original cut it's a bit messy around there so I may have to change some colours.

I'll also add Deptford Creek, how far is it navigable?

Chris

Edited by buccaneer66

2 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

Thanks Scholar Gypsy I'll check limehouse basin, I think I did show the now filled in original cut it's a bit messy around there so I may have to change some colours.

I'll also add Deptford Creek, how far is it navigable?

Chris

I went to a very interesting talk recently by Jeremy Batch, a former Limehouse Lock keeper, about the East London Waterways and I remember him saying that there have been three locks over the years from the Basin. IIRC the the source of his information was Alan Faulkner's book on the Regents canal, the entrance to at least one of the filled in locks is still visible on the dock wall.

In London City Road Basin was originally navigable passed the City Road and  the River Roding was/is navigable as far as Ilford

On the Thames many of the London Docks, St Katherines, Millwall/West India/Blackwall, South/Greenland Docks and the Royals are accessible plus there are marinas at Chiswick and Thames Ditton

Tim

On the Douglas Navigation/L&LC, it is difficult to show what happened as the river below Rufford was straightened c1805. The navigation built the canal from Rufford to Sollom c1760, joining the old river at either end. The current canal line below Sollom was opened c1805, using the old river line between Sollom and the A59 bridge.

Further up river, at Wigan, the navigation branched off the river to Miry Lane Ends, the current canal basin being part of the old Navigation, dating from 1741.

12 minutes ago, Pluto said:

On the Douglas Navigation/L&LC, it is difficult to show what happened as the river below Rufford was straightened c1805. The navigation built the canal from Rufford to Sollom c1760, joining the old river at either end. The current canal line below Sollom was opened c1805, using the old river line between Sollom and the A59 bridge.

Further up river, at Wigan, the navigation branched off the river to Miry Lane Ends, the current canal basin being part of the old Navigation, dating from 1741.

And good luck with anything in East Anglia - Fens, Nene, Witham etc - where rivers move all over the place, and change their names, either due to nature or to human intervention! 

• Greenie 1

Hellfire! We'll be adding the New River next - well, it was navigable by maintenance punts!!

Now, it wouldn't surprise me to find it already is, as I have not checked . . . Such detail, amazing work.

Nope, not there. Nor need it be!

Edited by Derek R.
Added text

I've done the Dartford Creek but it won't appear on the map until i do my next upload.

Dartford Creek i have stopped where 2 weirs are shown on the 1894 25inch OS map & its where the light railway now crosses.

Chris

Edited by buccaneer66

Normal feedback process is via the contact us button on the website, but I'm making notes of comments here as well.

Kathryn

Do you have a map showing the full extent of the tramway, what i have i got from the Blisworth village website.

The other tramway I'm trying to trace in that area is the Gayton to northampton tramway.

Chris