Google Earth Canal & River Map. (Canalmaponline)

Chris Lowe

Featured Posts

56 minutes ago, Tom and Bex said:

I think the last boat down there was 2010 sometime. I know we tried in May 2013 and this was as far as we could get! 

2013_0527_153756.JPG.f51e4c726ed99281583995872474dec5.JPG

I don't think there's actually an official closure, I think it's just a polite request, although as above, you can't navigate anyway. I also think the sign has now gone, but suspect it wasn't CRT who removed it!

Well, the weed seems to be thriving on the "pollution"!

28 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

Well, the weed seems to be thriving on the "pollution"!

As it does on many underused parts of the BCN!

1 hour ago, buccaneer66 said:

It's a shame BW allowed the low level road crossing that cut of the ridgeacre branch.

So true. Shame I never got to cruise it. Still, planning to take our folding dingy on it sometime. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nearly finished the curley wurley so the online map should soon have a huge update for the BCN, the section of the curly wurley from Ogley junction to Huddlesford junction I'm still going to label as the Wyley & Essington canal, but I'll put the modern Lichfield canal name in as a sub heading.

i'll post when the update goes live so that people can tell me where i've made mistakes.

On 16/03/2020 at 19:55, buccaneer66 said:

Nearly finished the curley wurley so the online map should soon have a huge update for the BCN, the section of the curly wurley from Ogley junction to Huddlesford junction I'm still going to label as the Wyley & Essington canal, but I'll put the modern Lichfield canal name in as a sub heading.

i'll post when the update goes live so that people can tell me where i've made mistakes.

Well done for all your work.

On the Lichfield Canal you've drawn the original canal line, but you might want to add the new proposed line of canal around the south of Lichfield, along Falkland Road.

( the canal east of the railway is being constructed this year, and the tunnel under Birmingham Road is already installed)

15 hours ago, John Brightley said:

On the Lichfield Canal you've drawn the original canal line, but you might want to add the new proposed line of canal around the south of Lichfield, along Falkland Road.

( the canal east of the railway is being constructed this year, and the tunnel under Birmingham Road is already installed)

Working on that at the moment John, rather conveniently the Lichfield & Hatherton Canals Restoration Trust put the route on their website in a google earth format that I could make use of, also the new route for the Hatherton branch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A huge task well done 

would you allow a well meant observation?

After all your work to overlay the Google map, it is inevitable that during the time it has taken, the Google part goes out of date as premises and their ownership/businesses change so is it technically possible to overlay your whole work on top of the most up to date Google map?  

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

Map no updated with Leominster Canal, Wisbech canal, Horncastle canal, and Stamford canal features, now working on the Witham Navigable Drains.

Good luck with the drains. The photo below is of one of my favourite books, let me know if you get stuck and I will see if I can help! A sample map (?C16th) is also below.  Perhaps more helpfully, this is a decent current map:  https://www.waterways.org.uk/waterways/canals_rivers/witham_navigable_drains/pdfs/wnd_map

2020-05-26_060803.jpg.96aae00c050f4a02c7b4bee483e4d50b.jpgIWA_Milton_Keynes_v2.jpg.8be17d3567d397b9d27313a64d51fa32.jpg

2020-05-26_060803.jpg

Thanks I have downloaded that map from the IWA, also a big help is the Waterway Routes Fossdyke & Witham map & cr5oss referencing that with OS maps on NLS but there are ares need clarifying, old OS maps show locks on the Hobhole Drain at Lade Bank pumping station, so would there have been a lock at Hobhole Sluice?

https://www.w4idb.co.uk/about-us/pumping-stations/ 

https://www.w4idb.co.uk/about-us/our-history/  starts at 60 BC!  The current Hobhole pumping station is quite new. I suspect the Witham Fourth will have some good historical records.

My hunch is that Hobhole sluice was not navigable; and that access to Hobhole was via the short arm just to the east of Cowbridge lock, where there was I think another lock going down to Cowbridge drain. Here's a photo I took last summer, south east corner of the golf course. Map link here.

DSC_4297.JPG.87af7b0b7d996685b525f3585a2c25b8.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm concentrating on the locks and bridges at the moment, but will go back over and add any important tramways later, in the meantime they can mostly be found on the main UK railmaponline page.

Just working my way up the Tardebigge flight adding the locks to the map.