Carrying spares

jddevel

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Taslim said:

True. Tomorrow...Or the next day... 'Mybe.

And if it doesn't work, you didn't take enough.

Just watching Humble Pie videos tonight, full moon melancholy. 

For Your Love... amazing soulful and underrated singer, that Mr Marriot...

I find any need to get the toolbox out urgently during a cruise is rarely to do with the engine. It will usually be either something electrical or something to so with the structure of the boat.

For example I needed tools twice on my last long(ish) trip. Once to replace the domestic batteries when one shorted a cell and a second time to replace a mushroom which broke(!) when I got the centre line caught under it in a lock, and pinged the dome off! Note neither of these running repairs needed a fan belt or oil filter or any of the sort of things suggested so far in this thread.

Most running repairs I find can be addressed with a selection of plain and Posidrive screwdrivers, an adjustable spanner, a pair of good quality pipe grips (which make better pliers for gripping things than a pair of pliers), a multimeter and a cable crimp set. (Surprising how often I find myself needing to make electrical cable connections.) The multimeter I'd say is actually the MOST useful thing to have around as electrical stuff is the most likely to go wrong, in general. 

But I note your question is actually about carrying spares, not tools. I don't carry spare parts about with me, I buy whatever parts I need whenever I need them. You can fill the boat up with spare parts that might fail at some point in the future. I prefer to keep my stock of parts where it belongs and out of my way, on the shelf in Midland Chandlers. :)

I would never be without a tube of Marineflex or Stixall PU adhesive/sealant.

Since you're on a new sailaway you should use this stuff to bed in any any new fittings rather than silicone. You can use silicone but a PU sealant is much better, more permanent and can be used for loads of other jobs too. I've used Stixall and Marineflex to fix leaky water pumps, bond ply to steel to mount things rather than drill into steel bulkheads, bed in skin fittings, fairleads and cleats, as a tile adhesive in my bathroom, plus scores of other jobs.

Edited by blackrose

14 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And if it doesn't work, you didn't take enough.

Just watching Humble Pie videos tonight, full moon melancholy. 

It was, err, is tomorrow and the engine now runs. 

I foolishly clicked on your link and two band members, the sum of their ages being less than half mine, latched onto it.  records were dragged out and systems set up. 

Quite a session. The boys done good.  Thanks.

Back on topic.  Modern engine in newish boat= Halfords tool kit, duct tape and rescue insurance.  Older engine and boat= Everything + the kitchen sink BUT there is no point toating tools or kit that you don't know how to use properly.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I find any need to get the toolbox out urgently during a cruise is rarely to do with the engine. It will usually be either something electrical or something to so with the structure of the boat.

For example I needed tools twice on my last long(ish) trip. Once to replace the domestic batteries when one shorted a cell and a second time to replace a mushroom which broke(!) when I got the centre line caught under it in a lock, and pinged the dome off! Note neither of these running repairs needed a fan belt or oil filter or any of the sort of things suggested so far in this thread.

Most running repairs I find can be addressed with a selection of plain and Posidrive screwdrivers, an adjustable spanner, a pair of good quality pipe grips (which make better pliers for gripping things than a pair of pliers), a multimeter and a cable crimp set. (Surprising how often I find myself needing to make electrical cable connections.) The multimeter I'd say is actually the MOST useful thing to have around as electrical stuff is the most likely to go wrong, in general. 

But I note your question is actually about carrying spares, not tools. I don't carry spare parts about with me, I buy whatever parts I need whenever I need them. You can fill the boat up with spare parts that might fail at some point in the future. I prefer to keep my stock of parts where it belongs and out of my way, on the shelf in Midland Chandlers. :)

Exactly why my response did not include much in the way of actual spares.

What I use most often are from the "bits of junk" as they tend to be called by the females that I accumulate over time and the use to fix/bodge things until I get back to base.

If a failure will stop the boat or make things very difficult AND (this is the important bit) an item is known to or a failure is likely then carry a spare.  If its not a known failure item or is likley to fail why tie cash up in spares you may never use.

8 minutes ago, Taslim said:

I foolishly clicked on your link and two band members, the sum of their ages being less than half mine, latched onto it.  records were dragged out and systems set up. 

Quite a session. The boys done good.  Thanks.

Excellent! 

I too find young musicians surprisingly interested and knowledgable about the more esoteric stuff from back in the 70s.

I run a cigarette lighter reconditioning factory on the side. We litter picked the river for seven years and apart picking unopened cans of beer out I saved all the lighters that folk chuck away when the gas runs out, they float. I strip em down and save all the good bits and rebuild factory exchange units to sell, which pay for a packet of ''GOCat'' cat food once a month. I've not had to by a lighter for myself for 11 years. Good flint striking wheels are getting scarce now, they get clogged up, but will only clean and recondition about six times.   Depicted here is the stripping down department of my factory. :mellow:

001.JPG

Compared to some we carry very little. A spare for all four belts, spare impeller and a few spare electrical fixtures and fittings so that we can bodge electrics together to get home. 

In 9 years the only thing that has disabled us enough to not get home was a £2.73 relay which sent the leg up to the top meaning we couldn't drive it rendering us immobile on the tidal Trent. Luckily we were with friends who towed us home.

We now carry spares of those relays.

1 hour ago, Iain_S said:

Are the matches for when the repair isn't 100% successful ?

Not matches old bean they're flint wheels.   I also fix watches and mobile telephones and make chimney hats to order at my factory. Copper top with curvacious brass legs. Beer glass not supplied :)

002.JPG

003.JPG

Edited by bizzard

27 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Not matches old bean they're flint wheels.   I also fix watches and mobile telephones and make chimney hats to order at my factory. Copper top with curvacious brass legs. Beer glass not supplied :)

The old 3 in 1 penetrating oil is handy as well, I also have 2 of those phones

21 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Sadly died smoking in bed; I've often wondered though exactly what it was he was smoking at the time?

There is a Small Faces tribute band called Small Fakers http://smallfakers.co.uk/ if you ever get the chance to see them it is a really show and well worth going. 

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

The old 3 in 1 penetrating oil is handy as well, I also have 2 of those phones

Yes DC the older cleaner phone on the right is still in use, original battery. I hold the record for doing the ''Snake'' game on it.  Brilliant devices,

1 minute ago, Bewildered said:

Sadly died smoking in bed; I've often wondered though exactly what it was he was smoking at the time?

There is a Small Faces tribute band called Small Fakers http://smallfakers.co.uk/ if you ever get the chance to see them it is a really show and well worth going. 

That happened to someone I knew, except his bed was already alight when he got in it.