2 x 70’ boats for sale - comments gratefully received

Dartagnan

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Tuscan said:

Astron seems well fitted out. Don’t think head height will be a problem.

Depends how tall OP is!

If it is based on som3thing vaguely "Star" class, (which looking at is stretching things a bit!), then it will have lower headroom than in a "Town"class boat.

You would have to be fairly short to use the door to the side of the double bed, (or indeed the walkway), without stooping, I would say.

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

We'll the front end definitely looks more Small Woolwich than Large Woolwich.

Well let's be honest, it is hardly a replica - it doesn't look much like either.

What on earth is with so many fake rivets along the top of the hull - some kind of but 1 get 2 free offer?

Anthony M fitted out some of my boat the finish and ability to remove panels is fantastic very clever way of fixing things without any screws being in sight. I have seen fully fitted boats by him and they are well done [this was when he was in Johnathon Wilsons yard] I have heard the stories about funny money going on and Know who caused it by removing his boat without paying for it.

Many thanks for all your replies.  I did do a compression response but it appears to have disappeared into the ether.

sadly the boat fitted out by Anthony M is now sold.  That’s happened with a few boats at Great Haywood.  They tell me the duck is slow to update and I should use their website but that’s the same!  Boats advertised for sale but when you enquire they are sold.

i still like Alston though."

1 hour ago, Dartagnan said:

Many thanks for all your replies.  I did do a compression response but it appears to have disappeared into the ether.

sadly the boat fitted out by Anthony M is now sold.  That’s happened with a few boats at Great Haywood.  They tell me the duck is slow to update and I should use their website but that’s the same!  Boats advertised for sale but when you enquire they are sold.

i still like Alston though."

I found that with virtually every broker, when I was looking nearly 4 years ago. 

The solution is to phone or visit each broker with a list of your requirements.  They will then contact you with details of suitable boats they have in stock and advise you of any coming Inn,  even before they are advertised. 

This will give you a significant advantage over those who only look at adverts on the internet,  many of which are sold within a day or two of coming into the brokers stock.

13 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

If it is based on som3thing vaguely "Star" class, (which looking at is stretching things a bit!), then it will have lower headroom than in a "Town"class boat.

Well I’m 6’2” and had plenty of headroom in our “Star” Class conversion. It would be much better described IMO as in the style of a converted working boat rather than a replica of any particular class. To be a good replica it needs less rivets and more dents ! 

Looks better than some working boat conversions to be fair.

14 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I found that with virtually every broker, when I was looking nearly 4 years ago. 

The solution is to phone or visit each broker with a list of your requirements.  They will then contact you with details of suitable boats they have in stock and advise you of any coming Inn,  even before they are advertised. 

This will give you a significant advantage over those who only look at adverts on the internet,  many of which are sold within a day or two of coming into the brokers stock.

Yes that’s what they suggested but I thought it was a sales come on.  Having read your reply I will do a you suggest

Many thanks

1 minute ago, Dartagnan said:

Yes that’s what they suggested but I thought it was a sales come on.  Having read your reply I will do a you suggest

Many thanks

The boat I bought never got advertised. I was the first to view her.

The only problem is that it puts you in a weaker position to negotiate. I offered 10% less than the asking price and it was rejected. I then offered another £2k, and stated it was my final offer. The broker then said the owner wasn't answering his phone, which I took to be a sales ploy so walked out. 30 minutes later I got a call from the broker saying the offer had been accepted.

When I had the boat surveyed, the surveyor could only find a couple of minor issues, plus the charger part of the Victron Combi didnt seem to work.

On receipt of the survey report I forwarded it to the broker saying I wanted the charger fixing and guaranteed for 12 months, or the price of a replacement knocking off the and agreed price.  He called the owner,  who immediately agreed to reduce the agreed  price by £2k.

When I got the boat back to my mooring, I found the charger worked perfectly, so it was probably a faulty shore bollard at the brokers marina... Result.