Cratch - What Is Important

system 4-50

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, Whisky said:

Putting a cratch cover on a boat is like building a garden shed as an extension to your living room at home. From your living room you then have a view of the bike(s), a large assortment of ugly but useful tools, chairs, barbecue stuff etc. Who would want that? Surely a view of the garden is better. We bought a taller than average narrow boat and the cratch cover made it quite difficult to see the view ahead when we are sailing. It had to go. In the cratch area we now have a few seasonal colourful plants which enhance the view and the look of the boat and can be removed when appropriate. With a cruiser stern we have plenty of space for sitting outside in good weather.

When I bought our boat, the cratch was full of ,fishing gear, tools, genny etc etc,a cc had it b4 us. When we was putting our stuff on after them taking there stuff off, my partner sat with female co owner at front, although had a covered ,no windows catch cover. She lamented, aww this reminds me of when they first bought it. But he took it over as a store room. We have nothing in the front apart from the essentials, I'e seating and a table and big windows in the cover to look out from, best part of boat in my opinion. However, winter cruising does neccessitate a bag of coal and kindling in there.

i remember watching around the world in eighty days , the M Palin version, and he asked , a serial tv broadcaster/traveller, Alan whicker what his advice was before his trip, and he said any idiot can undertake a journey and be uncomfortable throughout. , the skill is in make ng yourself comfortable, no matter where you go. A good mantra for any travel in life I think, without it , stay moored.

My deck board is slightly raised and given me no problems, even going through Harecastle OK. It also has windows which make the front light even with the sides closed. We have hinged the two side wings with lift off hinges so we can open them if necessary when working on the front or take them off completely for doing work on the front deck, so if we need to we can run with the covers and the side wings off and just the centre and the top plank in place. our covers overlap the gunwale and to save drilling for fixings on the outside of the boat, where they are liable to get damaged we have stitches very strong magnets into the hem of the cover which hold them down OK.

• 1 month later...

We love our cratch. Dark blue canvas, heats up with sunlight on cool mornings and good for drying clothes. We use ours as small conservatory, with sunchair and table plus cushions. We grow flowers, tomotoes and chillies. Missus sits up there with her wine and nicotine fix with just a bit open to vent and shes like royalty under all those coloured fairy lights and horse brasses. Stops direct wind and weather onto your front doors too. Its our front porch so shoes are stored under the chair and table. Wouldnt be without it.