OK I’m back after health issues

Dartagnan

Featured Posts

I was here previously researching for the purpose of purchasing a Narrowboat.  Then In July 2013 I suffered a major stroke (haemorrhage).  I’m not complaining because I have had what the medical peeps refer to as a remarkable recovery and I realise there are many people who are not so fortunate.  I now have some cognitive issues around memory and what I call logical processing.  It makes research difficult as I quickly forget what I have just read and I often make decisions without remembering all the facts which I later remember!

My rehabilitation probably took 2 years when at which stage I felt I was back in the land of the living.  Then late 2016 It was suspected I had rectal cancer.  After numerous tests and scans I underwent surgery in April to remove the tumour and I am now in my final stage of chemotherapy treatment.

So I am ready to finish what I started and purchase a boat.  The problem is I have forgotten a lot of my previous research and I am having difficulty researching the subject in detail which I had done previously.  I have come to the conclusion that I want/need a 62’ trad stern with a boatmans cabin.  Unfortunately there are not many of those available.  I missed out on Carpe Diem, a Hudson which suited my needs perfectly.

So I am now considering 70’ trad stern boats which also have a boatmans cabin.  The reason for the boatmans cabin is that my daughter now lives in Kingston upon Thames so it would give her and her partner to visit and stay with us whenever she wanted.

i am aware of some of the issues with such a large boat ie extra costs re mooring and blacking etc but I would be grateful for people’s opinions and advice regarding 70’ boats.  

Apologies for the initial rambling but I wanted to explain why I will be asking some more questions in the near future.

Kind regards - Martin

• Greenie 3

Welcome back to our forum Musketeer, delighted to read that you have surmounted those serious setbacks!

There is currently a forum member offering a 70-footer of good quality with a Gardner engine, this is perhaps a boat which you would care to look at.

Edit: before anyone points it out, I have remembered that d'Artagnan was a friend of the Three Musketeers and not actually one of their number.

Edited by Athy

Firstly glad to see your back on your feet again and pursuing your narrowboat quest. I can fully appreciate your cognitive and memory problems had and have the same problems after a serious case of M.E, bed ridden for 6 plus years, having to relearn everything I use to know. Won't go on about it as it's history now and like you looking to the future. The one thing I found useful was to write down everything even the smallest thing and also accept the fact that people get upset when you can't remember their names or other details,  they don't understand the problem and, for their sake I hope they never are in the position to understand it fully. Glad your up and running and looking forward hope you find your boat. 

Edited by reg

Here's a link to the 70ft boat Athy mentions:

So sorry to hear about your health problems by the way. I had a brain haemorrhage myself a few months ago but have been lucky enough to make a good recovery with no cognitive issues (although I'm likely to need surgery soon to prevent further bleeds). I can only imagine what a long slog that two years of recovery was for you, and what it's like to be dealing with the issues you describe on a day-to-day basis.

• Greenie 1

Congratulations on your recovery and tenacity. I wish you well for the future. 

In answer to your original question, the two major issues with having a 70+ foot boat are:

1. Slightly limited cruising range ,  your boat is too long to access some northern waterways, including the Leeds & Liverpool from Wigan to Leeds.

2. Slightly more difficult to find mooring spaces long enough at popular visitor moorings, especially at peak time (school holidays). Easily remedied by asking people to move up or breast against them, boating put of peak season or mooring away from popular visitor moorings.

Some years ago we had a 62` boat, this had the engine as far back as it would reasonably fit and the rest of the boat was accommodation, 6` or so of this was the kids bedroom and there was still adequate room for us, there was also a decent length of front well deck so it looked balanced and OK. I think it would have been a struggle if it was much shorter but I'm not sure if a boatmans cabin is really worth the bother. Good luck though.