Dave Clarke Boats

Featured Posts

Hi everyone.

I've come to this forum for info for years but this is my first post. I'm planning to get a sailaway built and am considering using Dave Clarke because a: he's built a boat previously that's almost exactly what I'm after, b: his quote seems reasonable and c: On the phone he sounds like a nice chap.

His availability is also very good, which is great but makes me slightly suspicious seeing as a lot of builders seem have very long waiting lists. I was wondering if anyone on here knows anything about him or better still, has had a boat built by him and wouldn't mind letting me know how it went, privately if you'd prefer.

Grateful for any responses, and for all the useful info I found on here while fitting out my last boat!

Thanks

Nightwatch, our boat, is a 1991 Dave Clarke boat. We've had Nightwatch for fourteen years and we are pleased with it. I hadn't realised that he was still building boats. 

The fitout was by Bromsgrove Boats. There's been the odd occasion when we have received compliments on the hull design.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Yes, Everybody knows.

Sorry to p*ss on your ch*ps, but the "drummer" Dave Clark didn't have an "e" at the end of his name. Does the boatbuilder?

No, you've got me there Athy, I don't remember that Dave Clark song. :glare:

Edited by cuthound
To change Cathy back to wot i rote, Athy. Blurry autowrong.

We have just experienced Dave Clarke boat building. My advice is don't use him if you are new to boat building. He builds fabulous shells, but is uncomfortable with new technology or schedules even. 

7 hours ago, KBG said:

We have just experienced Dave Clarke boat building. My advice is don't use him if you are new to boat building. He builds fabulous shells, but is uncomfortable with new technology or schedules even. 

“He builds fabulous shells”...........is that not what you want from a boatbuilder?

“but is uncomfortable with new technology or schedules even”.........boatbuilding isn’t exactly new technology and they all work on “boatbuilder time”

I have known a couple of people with Dave Clarke Shells and also looked at a few for sale over the years and they have always looked really nice and well built to me and the resale values have always been good which to me is a good indication of how good they are.

Rick

7 minutes ago, KBG said:

'Boatbuilder time' says it all really. 

I ordered a new shell from a wellknown builder for delivery oct 98 and got it in about march 99 ish. its typical, no big deal and far better than thinking everything in life has to be done yesterday. Take a chill pill narrowboats gooooo slooooowwwwwwww :)

Going slow is great, unless the boat is needed as your home and place to work. His shell is fabulous, and he is a lovely guy just pity he did not check the doors were shut before it got the boat lifted and transported. 

1 hour ago, KBG said:

Going slow is great, unless the boat is needed as your home and place to work. His shell is fabulous, and he is a lovely guy just pity he did not check the doors were shut before it got the boat lifted and transported. 

love to see a picture of the boat.