Surveyor Recommendation Please

Featured Posts

22 hours ago, matty40s said:

Chris Williams of Ovation boat services will probably come over there, he is based on the river Soar at Mountsorrel but I know he is prepared to travel an hour to boats.

Thanks. Has he surveyed your boat?

4 hours ago, sarahavfc said:

Iain Jones is my preference.

Same question, please?

---------------

Thanks everybody. I'll try one of those and see if they're available. :cheers:

Edited by BlueStringPudding

57 minutes ago, BlueStringPudding said:

Thanks. Has he surveyed your boat?

Same question, please?

---------------

Thanks everybody. I'll try one of those and see if they're available. :cheers:

Steve Hand (and his son) surveyed my boat and I would recommend him without hesitation.

But I've only had one boat surveyed so I do not have anyone to compare with - but I was completely satisfied with his common sense, willingness to talk and ability to spot little oddnesses.

36 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Steve Hand (and his son) surveyed my boat and I would recommend him without hesitation.

But I've only had one boat surveyed so I do not have anyone to compare with - but I was completely satisfied with his common sense, willingness to talk and ability to spot little oddnesses.

+1

In 2011 I approached a few surveyors, all of whom were busy, or didnt reply. Steve was one of those who didnt reply, (immediatley). However, a few days later he emailed me with his availability etc., and apologised for the delay because he had been at a wedding, (daughter??).

Anyway, he provided a great survey that confirmed that I should buy the boat for the price offered as fast as I could. All of the faults he mentioned were minor, and all came to fruition over the following couple of years. i still refer to his survey for information 6 years on. 

Thanks. Steve was my original surveyor when I bought my boat from Sawley too. And he's also who the dry dock staff recommended. Unfortunately he's away for a few weeks when my boat is due to be dry docked. But I don't mind having a different surveyor this time. 

49 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

We used Chris Williams for our BSC, seemed eminently sensible and competent. We didn’t have a survey though.

Is he Gas Safe registered?

My BSC is due next year and I donthave a bubble tester fitted.

7 hours ago, cuthound said:

Is he Gas Safe registered?

My BSC is due next year and I donthave a bubble tester fitted.

Yes. However since your boat is not a live aboard, by the customary interpretation of the GSIUR (even though that interpretation is silly IMO) he is specifically exempted from needing to be GSR.

9 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Yes. However since your boat is not a live aboard, by the customary interpretation of the GSIUR (even though that interpretation is silly IMO) he is specifically exempted from needing to be GSR.

Thanks, I thought the gas system needed to be proven to be leak free, so I needed a BSC bod capable of unscrewing the manometer test points without blowing himself up... :P

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

Thanks, I thought the gas system needed to be proven to be leak free, so I needed a BSC bod capable of unscrewing the manometer test points without blowing himself up... :P

Doesn't the argument actually go that any non Gas Safe registered person may be incapable of screwing the plug back into the test point in a completely leak free way once they have done the test?

That is that doing the test may actually have introduced a leak not originally present.

Yet this is only an issue, apparently for boats that are a primary residence, and for the rest of us a leak after doing a test might be acceptable?

Slightly bonkers, isn't it!

39 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Yes and no! Yes the gas system needs to be proven to be leak free, and yes this involves unscrewing and re-screwing the manometer test point. However the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 exempt leisure boats from the need to have only gas safe registered bods working on them. The relevant text is in section 2 (5)

5) Nothing in these Regulations shall apply in relation to the supply of gas to, or anything done in respect of a gas fitting on—

(c)a vessel not requiring a national or international load line certificate except when such vessel is-

(iii)used primarily for domestic or residential purposes;

(sorry about font size!)

So if the boat is not used primarily for domestic or residential purposes, anyone can work on it. In my opinion, your boat and my boat is either not used, or when it is being used it is used for residential purposes. Thus it’s primary use is residential. And when one is on it for a couple of weeks, why should a different standard be required compared to someone on it for 52 weeks? However the industry takes a different view and for it, the differentiator is live aboard or not. But since it seems a whole lot of fuss about unscrewing and rescrewing a test point plug, I can’t get too excited about it!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2017 at 12:59, rusty69 said:

Trevor Whitling may also travel, worth asking, highly recommended 

E mailed Trevor yesterday regarding my BSC which is due soon. Quote:

Hi Ray, thank you for your email but I’m not doing Bss inspections now as hull surveys have become so busy. You could try Chris Williams on 07963 974793 . T/A Ovation boat services.

Regards Trev

On 26 Nov 2017, at 12:06,

Edited by Ray T

5 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Hi Ray, thank you for your email but I’m not doing Bss inspections now as hull surveys have become so busy. You could try Chris Williams on 07963 974793 . T/A Ovation boat services.

Regards Trev

Interesting, although I have only used Trevors services for hull surveys anyway. I assumed OP wanted a hull survey? Perhaps not though

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

Regards Trev

Which is why Trevor was a reasonable person to suggest, as BSP was after a survey not a BSS inspection.

(I could have told you Trevor no longer does BSS inspections!)