Travelling on the Trent.

Chas78

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Just some pics of my new boat i bought yesterday which was moored at Basin Lane on the Trent what an awesome river the Trent is me an my nephew had help from a well experienced old hand we just about made it to Sawley Marina but lost the light can't wait for the next leg of the journey :D

trent 009.jpg

trent 016.jpg

trent 023.jpg

trent 007.jpg

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

We love the Trent. Many don't but we do.

Great at this time of year as you can pretty much have the whole river to yourself and not see another boat on the move.

Completely agree, a superb river with much interest. I luv many of the sections especialy the tidal stuff. Stoke lock is also a great mooring spot for a quiet time and Newark is nice to visit.

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Completely agree, a superb river with much interest. I luv many of the sections especialy the tidal stuff. Stoke lock is also a great mooring spot for a quiet time and Newark is nice to visit.

And Hazelford.  Spent a couple of days there last year.  The island (Nabbs Island?) feels remote, but there are two pubs within walking distance, of which the one at Bleasby is the best.

The Trent is a real treat.  I haven't done all of the Thames yet but have done The Severn, The Avon, The Weaver, and various river-canal navigations (C&H, A&C etc).  The Trent is equal first with the Avon for me, although two totally different rivers.

In fact one of the best things about rivers is how totally different they all are in character.

We did the Trent for the first time this summer and I have to say it was a very pleasant surprise.  The only issue, which is common with many rivers, is the lack of moorings, particularly ones that are more "narrowboat suitable", ie not against an 10 ft well.

Please stop it. We are doing that puddle called the Thames again next year, well some of it avoiding the big crap whole and going to Bristol then going up to York but that will not be till later in the year via of course the fabulous Trent. We may not actualy get up there though and I arnt far away from the Trent at present but unable to do it this winter :unsure:

14 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Please stop it. We are doing that puddle called the Thames again next year, well some of it avoiding the big crap whole and going to Bristol then going up to York but that will not be till later in the year via of course the fabulous Trent. We may not actualy get up there though and I arnt far away from the Trent at present but unable to do it this winter :unsure:

We are doing the Thames next summer. We thought it was about time that we saw what all the fuss was about :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We are doing the Thames next summer. We thought it was about time that we saw what all the fuss was about :rolleyes:

Mmmmmmmmmm methinks you will like it but the Trent it aint. Plenty of nobbie posh houses littering the banks as you get south of Oxford towards the big slum but my bet is you will prefer the Trent by a country mile. Go up to Lechlade if you get chance its by far prettier than the more used Slum to Oxford route. Don't look for any big locks as there arnt any and remember to turn your engine off in locks as they are " very special " :rolleyes:

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Mmmmmmmmmm methinks you will like it but the Trent it aint. Plenty of nobbie posh houses littering the banks as you get south of Oxford towards the big slum but my bet is you will prefer the Trent by a country mile. Go up to Lechlade if you get chance its by far prettier than the more used Slum to Oxford route. Don't look for any big locks as there arnt any and remember to turn your engine off in locks as they are " very special " :rolleyes:

We are starting at Lechlade, having nine days non tidal and then heading into London for a week. God help us :unsure:

Then back to the tranquil Trent for a few days to relax and unwind and end the holiday.

• Happy 1