A to K and L to W Vintage Marine Engines .

Nicktheplumber

Featured Posts

While looking at another forum ( I’ve a tasteless yoghurt pot of a car ) I found books on vintage marine engines . If anyone’s interested :

http://www.whittlebooks.com/page5.htm

http://www.whittlebooks.com/page6.htm

There are some others as well .

Apologies if this has already been posted . Apart from a common interest in the Lotus Europa , I’ve no connection with the author .

On 30/10/2017 at 22:18, Captain Pegg said:

Nice to know they consider the engine on the front left of the L to W book to be vintage.

JP

Well it sure  isn't one of those modern buzzy japanese things so beloved of the boaters here who have no soul...

On ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 01:00, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well it sure  isn't one of those modern buzzy japanese things so beloved of the boaters here who have no soul...

Oi, I've got one of them. Not only have I got no soul I have no need of Whitworth spanners, a sledgehammer, easy start, a rupture truss, a gorilla to start the bastard and I don't look like a panda after peering through the black smoke from the exhaust.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/2/2017 at 18:52, Bee said:

Oi, I've got one of them. Not only have I got no soul I have no need of Whitworth spanners, a sledgehammer, easy start, a rupture truss, a gorilla to start the bastard and I don't look like a panda after peering through the black smoke from the exhaust.

How boring! :)

1 hour ago, Fitter kieron said:

Nailed it in one paragraph Bee. You seem to know a lot about running an old engine. It's ok to come out.

I think what it really does is demonstrate that the term 'vintage engine' is arbitrary and not necessarily helpful.

I believe the engine in the picture is a Petter PH2W, a design manufactured between 1960 and 1991 and which quite possibly has more in common with a modern buzzy Japanese engine than it does with a semi-diesel such as the one adorning the cover of the A-K volume. It's a non-mysterious water cooled lump with most of the tricky bits on the outside where they are accessible. Probably all that are still fitted in narrowboats start via an ignition key and starter motor and revving at about half the speed of a modern engine can drive a modest alternator. Spare parts are readily available. The one pictured also looks like it has a water cooled exhaust manifold which is a source of heat for domestic hot water.

The most vintage thing about it is the (probably non-authentic) paint scheme. For someone who is interested in a more traditional type narrowboat engine but concerned by the type of anecdotes above it's a very good place to start. Makes an excellent noise too, even without a long pipe on the roof.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

On 11/2/2017 at 18:52, Bee said:

You've forgotten the ear defenders for use in tunnels :)