Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Markinaboat

2LW on Ebay

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Wasn't me.

I decided to bid £4,111 but it jumped up to £6,100 before I could type it in. 

oh well, at least you're £6100 (or £6950) better off than you might have been! Drinks on you then Mike?

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

Still most likely a bargain!

..........Dave

I was very tempted Dave but she'd have battered me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Markinaboat said:

Many moons ago when I was a sea cadet, there was a grey Gardner with sections cut out for marine engine maintenance (that we were never shown!). Of course, I didn't know what it was then, just an engine but it was around 1979! The grey must've stuck and our 3L2 is such.

Grey is a very practical colour for a marine engine, it shows up oil leaks quickly. Lister also used grey for marine applications

Richard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, dmr said:

I can't decide. Some rough painting so not done by a perfectionist. I would say rebuilt a fair while ago and left standing, but probably not installed in a boat. Maybe that's the story, got the engine ready but never got as far as getting the boat as age/life events took over.  Still worth a risk.

..............Dave

 

I think the £6950 it sold for is a fair price, given the uncertainties involved, and the significant risk of turning out to have bought a lemon. 

With a proper pedigree (e.g. names of builder, machinists etc, and photos all along the way of the work done) it would have been worth about double IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

oh well, at least you're £6100 (or £6950) better off than you might have been!

 

Not really, I was planning to paint it grey and polish the ally bits, then flog it again for £12k.

So having failed to buy it for my £4,111, I'm actually £7,889 out of pocket on the deal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

Not really, I was planning to paint it grey and polish the ally bits, then flog it again for £12k.

So having failed to buy it for my £4,111, I'm actually £7,889 out of pocket on the deal!

well, you should've typed in £7500 or whatever you were prepared to go upto! Still, could have ended up spending god knows how many hours and ££'s on it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/10/2017 at 18:48, Markinaboat said:

well, you should've typed in £7500 or whatever you were prepared to go upto! Still, could have ended up spending god knows how many hours and ££'s on it though.

 

Errrr.... I did! 

I was prepared to go up to £4,111, having thought about it very carefully. That was the price at which I would be ambivalent about losing it given as you said, the amount of work in collecting it from Newcastle, doing the (trivial) work I mentioned, then flogging it again for £12k, or possibly a good deal less if I needed to chop the price to shift it.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

Errrr.... I did! 

I was prepared to go up to £4,111, having thought about it very carefully. That was the price at which I would be ambivalent about losing it given as you said, the amount of work in collecting it from Newcastle, doing the (trivial) work I mentioned, then flogging it again for £12k, or possibly a good deal less if I needed to chop the price to shift it.

Had I seen/heard? it running and met the guy, perhaps with some photographic history, I may have bid to £6k but then no doubt got carried away upto 7. All hindsight though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/10/2017 at 08:17, Markinaboat said:

Had I seen/heard? it running and met the guy, perhaps with some photographic history, I may have bid to £6k but then no doubt got carried away upto 7. All hindsight though!

 

The massive risk of bidding on it having never seen it running also massively dragged down the price I was willing to pay, given the only thing reason to buy it was to add some value and sell it again. 

Had I actually wanted a 2LW and had a use for it I'd have driven up to Newcastle on the spot to meet the bloke and see it running, then probably paid possibly up to about £14k, depending on my judgement of both the engine and the vendor seen face to face! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

The massive risk of bidding on it having never seen it running also massively dragged down the price I was willing to pay, given the only thing reason to buy it was to add some value and sell it again. 

Had I actually wanted a 2LW and had a use for it I'd have driven up to Newcastle on the spot to meet the bloke and see it running, then probably paid possibly up to about £14k, depending on my judgement of both the engine and the vendor seen face to face! 

You probably wouldn't need to travel to Newcastle to hear it running, just go outside with an ear trumpet pointed northwards and listen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During ww1 a large munitions factory in Silvertown ''London docklands'' blew up, it was brewing tons of chemical explosive, Amatol. TNT and stuff. The pressure wave smashed windows as far away as Kings Lynn and the midlands and was heard in Cumbria. There was just a massive 30' deep crater left where the factory was. Massive boilers were flung a mile away, it was terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, bizzard said:

During ww1 a large munitions factory in Silvertown ''London docklands'' blew up, it was brewing tons of chemical explosive, Amatol. TNT and stuff. The pressure wave smashed windows as far away as Kings Lynn and the midlands and was heard in Cumbria. There was just a massive 30' deep crater left where the factory was. Massive boilers were flung a mile away, it was terrible.

When Buncefield oil terminal blew up, our boat slammed against the piling on our mooring in Uxbridge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to live almost exactly 30 miles from Buncefield as the crow flies and the noise of the explosion woke me up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BWM said:

When Buncefield oil terminal blew up, our boat slammed against the piling on our mooring in Uxbridge. 

I was moored by the park at Cowley and it woke me up. Thought a tree had fallen on a neighbours boat. The pressure wave must've travelled straight down the cut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Markinaboat said:

I was moored by the park at Cowley and it woke me up. Thought a tree had fallen on a neighbours boat. The pressure wave must've travelled straight down the cut.

That's the conclusion I came to, would have been interesting to see how the pressure wave progressed through locks, etc. Many local boaters experienced the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Markinaboat said:

Had I seen/heard? it running and met the guy, perhaps with some photographic history, I may have bid to £6k but then no doubt got carried away upto 7. All hindsight though!

 

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

The massive risk of bidding on it having never seen it running also massively dragged down the price I was willing to pay, given the only thing reason to buy it was to add some value and sell it again. 

Had I actually wanted a 2LW and had a use for it I'd have driven up to Newcastle on the spot to meet the bloke and see it running, then probably paid possibly up to about £14k, depending on my judgement of both the engine and the vendor seen face to face! 

I had been watching this 2LW with interest. The same seller had a 3LW in the same state of green up on ebay a few months ago. I was amazed at what someone ended up bidding for it "unless they had proof of what's inside that wasn't on the advert"

Based on what was in the advert and that the advert had no proof that the liners, crank etc had actually been done, and if it had ??? hours since that work I would have been looking at it with no greater expectations than it needs an overhaul and bid as such. So normally a core 2LW comes in around the £2 - 3k mark. add to that it has a gearbox (again unknown condition but most likely fine) then being generous around £4k as MtB mentioned earlier would make it the right ish money. If the mentioned work turns out not to be then you would end up shelling out around another £5 to 6k on parts/machining to do it right with anything the gearbox needs on top of that, oh and labour if your paying someone else to do it. So at around £4k you wouldn't end up paying more than you could have got one for with some provenance so a good deal. But at £6950 if it turns out to be only fit for overhaul, by the time that work has been done you have a expensive 2LW.

The next engines into our workshop are a 2LW and a pair of Samofa 2S108's. The 2LW owner bought it a number of years ago as a good runner, but unseen. When shipped back to the UK it got damaged in transit by the shippers and ended up with us. in the process of repairing the damage a load of white metal was found in the sump (had the damaged drain bung removed from the sump) so from experience I expect to find some rather knackered bearings/crank damage when we get it stripped. However when it first arrived in the UK the engine ran quiet happily with nothing to show what appears to be lurking inside, and we have found this on a lot of supposedly good Gardner's that when stripped are very poorly indeed. Testament to their build that they still run on like it I suppose.  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bizzard said:

During ww1 a large munitions factory in Silvertown ''London docklands'' blew up, it was brewing tons of chemical explosive, Amatol. TNT and stuff. The pressure wave smashed windows as far away as Kings Lynn and the midlands and was heard in Cumbria. There was just a massive 30' deep crater left where the factory was. Massive boilers were flung a mile away, it was terrible.

You remember it well?  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/10/2017 at 13:19, martyn 1 said:

The same seller had a 3LW in the same state of green up on ebay a few months ago.

 

That's interesting. Your comments rather confirm my suspicion that it may have been 'rebuilt' by just re-painting it. 

Seeing it in the flesh is the only way to even begin to judge whether it has really been stripped down and re-built. Even one nut that clearly has never been disturbed (from the paint on it, dirt etc) tells a revealing story, not possible to assess in photos. Similarly a face to face chat with the seller tells an unspoken story too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, cuthound said:

I used to live almost exactly 30 miles from Buncefield as the crow flies and the noise of the explosion woke me up.

Same thing happened to us.  We were moored at Bulbourne at the time.

:offtopic:

We were living in Bow when we heard the Bishopsgate IRA bomb go off in 1993

I was teaching very close to Cavendish Square when IRA bombs went off in 1992

The Canary Wharf bomb in 1996 shook the windows of our flat in nearby Rotherhithe

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

Same thing happened to us.  We were moored at Bulbourne at the time.

:offtopic:

We were living in Bow when we heard the Bishopsgate IRA bomb go off in 1993

I was teaching very close to Cavendish Square when IRA bombs went off in 1992

The Canary Wharf bomb in 1996 shook the windows of our flat in nearby Rotherhithe

 

 

 

and you got away with it!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

Same thing happened to us.  We were moored at Bulbourne at the time.

:offtopic:

We were living in Bow when we heard the Bishopsgate IRA bomb go off in 1993

I was teaching very close to Cavendish Square when IRA bombs went off in 1992

The Canary Wharf bomb in 1996 shook the windows of our flat in nearby Rotherhithe

 

 

 

I have similar experiences, with the 1973 IRA bombs.  I was 150 metres from the St Pancras bombing and one of the first on the scene, about 250 metres away from the Old Bailey bombing (I was woring in Central London next as a BT technical at the time) and was in Guildford the night the IRA exploded a bomb there. At the time I thought it might be me they were after. :mellow:

I attended the scene of the Bishopsgate bomb and was subsequently part of the disaster recovery planning team that came up with strategies to speed up recovery from future events.

I was on a tube train going to work for the 7/7 bombs and had to walk back from Parsons Green tube to Wimbledon to get home. A person in the building I was working in at the time was killed in the bus explosion that day, he was trying to get to work and was using the bus because the tube trains had been stopped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was teaching at the Berlitz Language School in Portman Square in 1975 when a bomb went off not far away. I remember that it did not sound like a bomb, more like an enormous metal dustbin lid being dropped from a great height.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And to expand on this, I think there is the classic ebay fraud going on here.

I emailed before bidding as instructed in the listing, and was told the BIN price was £3,000. I responded saying 'Oh I see you're in Saffron Waldon, can I come over this afternoon and see it running? He responded with no, it works perfectly but he's in Aberdeen and the deal would have to be done via ebay, with free delivery.

So I emailed back asking why the listing says the item is in Saffron Walden, and he's gone all quiet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.