2LW on Ebay

Markinaboat

Featured Posts

Just now, Athy said:

But the original engine was sold; how many has he got?

You're missing the point. It was sold last week by the real seller. This is a different seller and looks like a fraudulent listing. 

The photos are identical. Can you think of a reason other than fraud for someone to buy an engine for £6950, then sell it a week later for £3,000?

On 10/30/2017 at 15:50, Athy said:

Though battleship grey was Gardner's default colour, engines could be finished in any colour the customer wanted. I've seen a pillarbox-red one and also a green one, though it wasn't that shade of green. I've also seen, still in service in a local 'bus a couple of years ago, a silver one, which did look somewhat over the top.

A good number of the ones in SA mine loco's ranged between Sky & Mid Blue with most replacement parts that were fitted Red Oxide. Ones with a number of replacement parts were often referred to as " Patchworks"it was an easy way of knowing that parts had been replaced,how long ago was a different matter Unfortunately the practice of running them to near destruction was a common practice with drivers & maintenance staff not being very mechanically sympathetic

On 05/11/2017 at 09:34, X Alan W said:

A good number of the ones in SA mine loco's ranged between Sky & Mid Blue with most replacement parts that were fitted Red Oxide. Ones with a number of replacement parts were often referred to as " Patchworks"it was an easy way of knowing that parts had been replaced,how long ago was a different matter Unfortunately the practice of running them to near destruction was a common practice with drivers & maintenance staff not being very mechanically sympathetic

That'a interesting info, as we have one of those ex- Safrican mine loco engines in our boat, thank you.

On 04/11/2017 at 11:31, Mike the Boilerman said:

. Can you think of a reason other than fraud for someone to buy an engine for £6950, then sell it a week later for £3,000?

Philanthropy and stupidity might be candidates, but neither is very likely.

On 06/11/2017 at 14:14, Athy said:

Philanthropy and stupidity might be candidates, but neither is very likely.

So if you were a betting man (and I imagine you are not), which of the three possibilities would you put money on being the case here? Fraud, philanthropy or stupidity? 

52 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So if you were a betting man (and I imagine you are not), which of the three possibilities would you put money on being the case here? Fraud, philanthropy or stupidity? 

You imagine correctly: I bought a National Lottery ticket the first week that they came out, didn't win anything and have not bought one since.

How's that for a "politician's answer"?

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

It was on a couple of weeks ago as well although a different seller to the original listing, and that time I asked how come it had been relisted and it suddenly disappeared. I noticed this time it has jumped to pretty much the other end of the country. Taunton isnt that far from me so I wonder if the seller would mind a visit.

On 11/12/2017 at 15:47, martyn 1 said:

It was on a couple of weeks ago as well although a different seller to the original listing, and that time I asked how come it had been relisted and it suddenly disappeared. I noticed this time it has jumped to pretty much the other end of the country. Taunton isnt that far from me so I wonder if the seller would mind a visit.

I thought exactly that last time it came on, when it was listed in east angular. So iI PMed and asked to visit and view. Seller told me no as it was actually in Aberdeen but I could buy it for £3k immediately, and he would put up a special BIN listing for me alone. Assured me I could rely on the ebay guarantee if not as I expected once it was delivered to me. Year right!

I wonder how many dozen times he has sold it on this basis.

I think that nice Mr Athy should buy it for the £3k as he doesn't share my scepticism. I'll happily give him £5k for it cash on the nail if he proves me wrong and actually ends up with this 2LW genuinely purchased and unloaded by the courier onto his drive!

12 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think that nice Mr Athy should buy it for the £3k as he doesn't share my scepticism. I'll happily give him £5k for it cash on the nail if he proves me wrong and actually ends up with this 2LW genuinely purchased and unloaded by the courier onto his drive!

Thank you for your kind offer to spend my money for me.

Er, but I've already got a 2LW. Anyway, that green might clash with our paintwork.

I wonder if this engine is the equivalent of the roadside offers of years ago, speakers, video recorders, etc. with the insides all found to be full of bricks instead of electrical components, when opened at home? 

2 hours ago, BWM said:

I wonder if this engine is the equivalent of the roadside offers of years ago, speakers, video recorders, etc. with the insides all found to be full of bricks instead of electrical components, when opened at home? 

Nah I reckon its more straightforward than that. You pay the £3k BIN price, then nothing arrives. You contact ebay to complain and they say nothing to do with them, and then it turns out you bought it from a fraudulent ebal/paypal cloned site.

The switch occurring when he emails you the link to the 'special ebay BIN listing' he promises to create 'just for you'. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Nah I reckon its more straightforward than that. You pay the £3k BIN price, then nothing arrives. You contact ebay to complain and they say nothing to do with them, and then it turns out you bought it from a fraudulent ebal/paypal cloned site.

The switch occurring when he emails you the link to the 'special ebay BIN listing' he promises to create 'just for you'. 

Could be - but why try such a confidence trick with an item as esoteric as a Gardner engine? Why doesn't he advertise, say, a DVD player or a telly, which would attract a vastly greater number of punters?

...unless he's doing that as well.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Could be - but why try such a confidence trick with an item as esoteric as a Gardner engine? Why doesn't he advertise, say, a DVD player or a telly, which would attract a vastly greater number of punters?

It's down to cash - the Gardner is a lot more money than a telly. You'd have to scam 15 people for a telly to make the equivalent dosh to 1 Gardner, hence 15 times the likelihood of getting caught and/or having your face beaten to a pulp!

On 04/11/2017 at 11:31, Mike the Boilerman said:

The photos are identical. Can you think of a reason other than fraud for someone to buy an engine for £6950, then sell it a week later for £3,000?

You may also think you are dealing with old crustys who don't do much Internet. .....

4 hours ago, D. W. Walker said:

It's down to cash - the Gardner is a lot more money than a telly. You'd have to scam 15 people for a telly to make the equivalent dosh to 1 Gardner, hence 15 times the likelihood of getting caught and/or having your face beaten to a pulp!

What a vivid turn of phrase you have. But far more people WANT TVs, electronic devices and such, it must be very hard to find someone who is seeking a 60-year old diesel engine.

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

What a vivid turn of phrase you have. But far more people WANT TVs, electronic devices and such, it must be very hard to find someone who is seeking a 60-year old diesel engine.

they go for high value items that attract a few bidders that will pay the high price but are likely to jump at the chance of an instant purchase for lower than the going rate or go through some other payment system "to avoid paypal / ebay fees"

usually it's also larger items that would have to use a courier to pick up & deliver, when someone asks a question they look at the persons location and give the items location as being as distant as possible (to discourage viewing).

similar happens with sales of a particular pinball table that never sells for less than 4k unless it's total scrap, I reckon that 1 in 3 of them available is fake and using pics and text from an older genuine listing.

it's also been done several times with boats

Edited by Jess--

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, steamraiser2 said:

I see that the same 2LW is back on eBay again. Claims to be in Wales this time rather than Aberdeen. No doubt people will fall for the apparent scam again. The "vendor" has even used the same photograph! 

You would think that if Elon Musk can invent a rocket that re lands in a vertical position after delivering a payload into space or manufacturing Tesla that he could have designed software which identifies such scams when he set up eBay.