2LW on Ebay

Markinaboat

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm curious about why there are no bids at a starting price of £3.5k. What's wrong with it!!

Precisely my thoughts although it aint my cup of tea its very cheap? perhaps its just to get some genuine buyer to message the owner with a serious offer?

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm curious about why there are no bids at a starting price of £3.5k. What's wrong with it!!

Looks a good buy to me, Walshes have done some work on it (possibly), Ally bits are painted silver, not polished, at that sort of money it's worth buying for spares.

I have to go out now for a while, will look in when I get back........ transport costs £80....

or is it all a bit 'fishy'?....................probably.

M

It looks like a real bargain to me.

I generally think old boat engines look best in green, I have never liked the Gardner grey and silver ali look. Its not the best green though , Deep Brunswick Green is the one for me. :D

..............Dave

Though battleship grey was Gardner's default colour, engines could be finished in any colour the customer wanted. I've seen a pillarbox-red one and also a green one, though it wasn't that shade of green. I've also seen, still in service in a local 'bus a couple of years ago, a silver one, which did look somewhat over the top.

12 minutes ago, Athy said:

Though battleship grey was Gardner's default colour, engines could be finished in any colour the customer wanted. I've seen a pillarbox-red one and also a green one, though it wasn't that shade of green. I've also seen, still in service in a local 'bus a couple of years ago, a silver one, which did look somewhat over the top.

Many moons ago when I was a sea cadet, there was a grey Gardner with sections cut out for marine engine maintenance (that we were never shown!). Of course, I didn't know what it was then, just an engine but it was around 1979! The grey must've stuck and our 3L2 is such.

36 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

Many moons ago when I was a sea cadet, there was a grey Gardner with sections cut out for marine engine maintenance (that we were never shown!). Of course, I didn't know what it was then, just an engine but it was around 1979! The grey must've stuck and our 3L2 is such.

Yes, mine came in grey when I bought it some dozen years ago now - though it was Walsh's grey, since replaced (or coated) by Redshaw's Gardner Grey (Old), as it's called.

Only an hour to go and no bids! Its a niche market so maybe nobody is looking at the moment, that's the risk with eBay auctions.

I expect a load of last minute bids. I live on a boat so have no storage but if I did I would put in a bid for this and then sell it on later, but I expect mtb is already poised for a last minute bid on this :D

...............Dave

the question is, if it's running without sounding like a bag of the proverbial spanners, what would it actually be worth? And if it sounded a little rough or had a cracked head, what could the parts bill go to (assuming that the crank has been reground properly and there are indeed new pistons and liners already)?

Why has someone just rebuilt an engine and then decided to sell it? Lots of possible legitimate reasons.

I am not anything like a Gardner expert, but reckon the worse case scenario would be significant internal corrosion of the castings and the engine still getting rebuilt but no guarantee of a long trouble free life and owner then deciding to sell rather than put in his own boat. But at £3500 I would still take the risk if I was looking for a Gardner. These are getting quite rare.

..............Dave

1 minute ago, dmr said:

Why has someone just rebuilt an engine and then decided to sell it? Lots of possible legitimate reasons.

I am not anything like a Gardner expert, but reckon the worse case scenario would be significant internal corrosion of the castings and the engine still getting rebuilt but no guarantee of a long trouble free life and owner then deciding to sell rather than put in his own boat. But at £3500 I would still take the risk if I was looking for a Gardner. These are getting quite rare.

..............Dave

It doesn't look like it's recently been out back together. Look at the corrosion on the water connections and dirt around the various bolt heads.

8 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

It doesn't look like it's recently been out back together. Look at the corrosion on the water connections and dirt around the various bolt heads.

I can't decide. Some rough painting so not done by a perfectionist. I would say rebuilt a fair while ago and left standing, but probably not installed in a boat. Maybe that's the story, got the engine ready but never got as far as getting the boat as age/life events took over.  Still worth a risk.

..............Dave