Generator - inverter or standard?

Johny London

Featured Posts

I want to buy one of these...

http://www.justgenerators.co.uk/stephill-ssp2000-generator.html#.WfSSqDe1vnM

but I'm wondering if it will give a well enough regulated output for most "sensitive" equipment. I can bolt this to the stern deck, run it off lpg and leave it all hooked up as the case is weatherproof as well as offering some noise reduction.

Or would I do better with a kipor inverter generator or similar? Downside being it cannot be secured and will need setting up every day.

The supply will pass through my Victron3000 but I don't think that does anything other than add power from the batteries if needed. Mostly it'll  be going the other way ie charging but I would be running everything from a washing machine to laptop off it at one time or another.

A standard generator has to run at a set speed, for a petrol one typically 3000rpm. This is so that the power comes out at 50Hz. An inverter generator can run a any speed within reason, depending on the load. So normally the latter can run at a fast idle whilst producing not that much power, which helps a lot with fuel consumption and noise. Since boat generators spend a lot of time at fairly low power (the last half of battery charging) it makes a lot of sense to have an inverter type. You don’t really want the engine thrashing away at 3000rpm just to put 10A into the batteries.

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

A standard generator has to run at a set speed, for a petrol one typically 3000rpm. This is so that the power comes out at 50Hz. An inverter generator can run a any speed within reason, depending on the load. So normally the latter can run at a fast idle whilst producing not that much power, which helps a lot with fuel consumption and noise. Since boat generators spend a lot of time at fairly low power (the last half of battery charging) it makes a lot of sense to have an inverter type. You don’t really want the engine thrashing away at 3000rpm just to put 10A into the batteries.

Do inverter generators all have pure sine wave outputs? 

3 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Do inverter generators all have pure sine wave outputs? 

Mine certainly does. But no doubt someone makes one that doesn’t so always check the spec. The one linked to by the OP doesn’t mention the waveform so I’d be suspicious.

Edited by nicknorman

13 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Mine certainly does. But no doubt someone makes one that doesn’t so always check the spec. The one linked to by the OP doesn’t mention the waveform so I’d be suspicious.

Thanks for that, I wasn't sure if that was always the case.

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

It does. But it doesn’t say whether pure or quasi sine.

True. The only other thing that I can usefully add to the conversation is that Victron combis seem to be pretty sensitive to frequency and waveform. While my old cheap Wolf frame Genny would work the charger and pass through 230v, two more powerful and expensive ones I've tried recently would not.

16 minutes ago, Rick-n-Jo said:

True. The only other thing that I can usefully add to the conversation is that Victron combis seem to be pretty sensitive to frequency and waveform. While my old cheap Wolf frame Genny would work the charger and pass through 230v, two more powerful and expensive ones I've tried recently would not.

Even with the Bad Waveform switch?