Lock keeper beaten up

Bewildered

Featured Posts

As I passed the little swing bridge at Rose Narrowboats on the North Oxford Canal one of the guys who works there said to me, "be aware there are two fibreglass boats heading this way, one towing the other, they have just beaten up a lock keeper at Hillmorton and C&RT would like to know where they are".

I can only assume that C&RT have called places ahead of the incident to ask them to keep a look out.

If any members spot these boats please let C&RT know

Edited by Bewildered

Not everyone is satisfied with the service provided by volockies, but that sounds unnecessary and indeed extreme, and this incident should be investigated by CART and by the police - if it's true (we have only one view of the story at the moment).

33 minutes ago, Athy said:

Not everyone is satisfied with the service provided by volockies, but that sounds unnecessary and indeed extreme, and this incident should be investigated by CART and by the police - if it's true (we have only one view of the story at the moment).

No, only by the police!

38 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Could one of the GRP boats be the one featured in the 'Hit and run' thread?

I don't think so. The red cruiser in the photographs passed me in Polesworth yesterday lunchtime. It was heading towards Alvecote and was reported (on here) to be heading towards Glascote later yesterday.

I saw these two white f/glass boats pass through the locks early afternoon and then police arrived very quickly, apparently because the young men on these boats were arrested recently for theft of an outboard but were let out to continue their version of life on the canal.  Last seen going at full speed past Clifton Cruisers but that was a while ago now.  CRT seem powerless or unwilling to stop criminals using their canal. 

Edited by canalboat

12 minutes ago, canalboat said:

CRT seem powerless or unwilling to stop criminals using their canal.

More than a little unfair there I think. Have these white plastic boaters been found guilty in a court of law of anything? If so, what? 

And even if they have, what right do CRT have to stop them using their boats on the canal?

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

More than a little unfair there I think. Have these white plastic boaters been found guilty in a court of law of anything? If so, what? 

And even if they have, what right do CRT have to stop them using their boats on the canal?

Probably as much as a county council has to stop a pick pocket using the roads, which as far as I know is nil.

27 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Perhaps Mr MTB as unfair as you referring to them as "white plastic boaters".
I was merely sharing my observation to clarify the original post.
But you're probably quite right - let em all proceed unhindered to steal, assault and terrify as they wish - if that is want your canal to be.

10 minutes ago, canalboat said:

Perhaps Mr MTB as unfair as you referring to them as "white plastic boaters".
I was merely sharing my observation to clarify the original post.
But you're probably quite right - let em all proceed unhindered to steal, assault and terrify as they wish - if that is want your canal to be.

You probably might not get your licence renewed if you keep beating up CRT staff, but in general, being law abiding isn't a noted characteristic of boaters, and never has been. Sometimes I've even caught a whiff of hash as I've walked past a boat, and some people stay longer than 14 days in one spot!

Flogging's too good for 'em, I say.

54 minutes ago, mark99 said:

This is 100% police matter.

Not entirely. It may be the responsibility of the Police to aprehend and question the acused boaters, but C&RT, as the lock keeper's employers, albeit unremunerated, have a resposibility for the welfare of therir staff and it would be reasonable for them to assist the Police.  If it is deemed appropriate that could result in a "Citizen's Arrest being made.

Edited by David Schweizer

Anyway!

I expect you all would like to hear that after the police got the details of the crime and rushed off with blue lights flashing and sirens a blazing, in the pursuit of the rather rough looking characters , the lockie continued his work, and indeed worked to well after his finishing time, helping us down the Hillmorton Flight and didn't seem fazed by his altercation!

Well done that man!

Nipper

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Not entirely. It may be the responsibility of the Police to aprehend and question the acused boaters, but C&ART, as the lock keeper's employers, albeit unremunerated, have a resposibility for the welfare of therir staff and it would be reasonable for them to assist the Police.  If it is deemed appropriate that could result in a "Citizen's Arrest being made.

Given the suspects have already used violence I agree with Mark 99 it is a police matter. CRT are not paid or trained to apprehend possibly violent people.

I would agree that this matter can and should be dealt with by police. Their role is to investigate, report and then deal with that outcome. Arrest of subjects is only a way of having a controlled conversation where rights are protected and facts are established. Lets hope that the subjects (if guilty) upon arrest see the errors of their ways.  l

4 hours ago, Bewildered said:

As I passed the little swing bridge at Rose Narrowboats on the North Oxford Canal one of the guys who works there said to me, "be aware there are two fibreglass boats heading this way, one towing the other, they have just beaten up a lock keeper at Hillmorton and C&RT would like to know where they are".

I can only assume that C&RT have called places ahead of the incident to ask them to keep a look out.

If any members spot these boats please let C&RT know

I don't understand why Rose boats didn't just chain up the swing bridge and call the police when the villains arrived.

1 minute ago, Flyboy said:

I don't understand why Rose boats didn't just chain up the swing bridge and call the police when the villains arrived.

Because it's half term and most of the hire companies have most boats out in this area, and lots of private boats too. They would be out every 10 minutes unlocking it, and what happens if said idiots arrive and come into shop threatening or assaulting again? ?

Do we have boat names or more accurate descriptions,  as there are more and more plastic boats around nowadays.

• Greenie 1

We are on the  Ashby and will be heading south soon.  Do we actually know what they have done though, if they had really beaten up a lock keeper, or anybody, wouldn't the police have already got them in custody, they can't exactly get far on the North Oxford.

54 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Because it's half term and most of the hire companies have most boats out in this area, and lots of private boats too. They would be out every 10 minutes unlocking it, and what happens if said idiots arrive and come into shop threatening or assaulting again? ?

Do we have boat names or more accurate descriptions,  as there are more and more plastic boats around nowadays.

There can't many plastic boats on the N. Oxford towing another one.

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

Not entirely. It may be the responsibility of the Police to aprehend and question the acused boaters, but C&RT, as the lock keeper's employers, albeit unremunerated, have a resposibility for the welfare of therir staff and it would be reasonable for them to assist the Police.  If it is deemed appropriate that could result in a "Citizen's Arrest being made.

David I think you will find in reality that the kind of people who assault lockeepers or for that matter assault anyone are not the kind of people who take kindly to a " Citizens arrest " and the said citizen is quite likely to suffer the same fate.

12 minutes ago, john6767 said:

they can't exactly get far on the North Oxford.

Ripon? Bristol?

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

David I think you will find in reality that the kind of people who assault lockeepers or for that matter assault anyone are not the kind of people who take kindly to a " Citizens arrest " and the said citizen is quite likely to suffer the same fate.

Ripon? Bristol?

Yea yea, but in the timescales not far.