New menace on the L&L

Flyboy

Featured Posts

They are clearly in breach of so many byelaws it's surely only a matter of time before they're caught, charged and convicted of a criminal offence? Of course, if they already have a criminal record the last bit may not worry them too much

Edited to add - I don't condone this in any way and would imagine if one of those hit another boat it would be fatal for the ride and possible for the occupants of a small fibreglass boat, but I can see that it is a test of skill that gives them an adrenaline rush. I do wonder if they used to do this elsewhere e.g a reservoir) and have been thrown off that. I recall significant (and not ungrounded) fears that this and speed boating would be pushed onto inapproriate waters when a 10mph speed limit was placed on Windermere, the last of lakes to have no limit. In practice most of the speed boaters went to Preston Docks where they could go out to play at sea

Edited by magpie patrick

I hope CaRT don't see this, they will market it another good way to modernise the waterways, bring new users to the waterway, and upset boaters at the same time, a win win win situation for them.

.................Dave

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

They are clearly in breach of so many byelaws it's surely only a matter of time before they're caught, charged and convicted of a criminal offence? Of course, if they already have a criminal record the last bit may not worry them too much

Edited to add - I don't condone this in any way and would imagine if one of those hit another boat it would be fatal for the ride and possible for the occupants of a small fibreglass boat, but I can see that it is a test of skill that gives them an adrenaline rush. I do wonder if they used to do this elsewhere e.g a reservoir) and have been thrown off that. I recall significant (and not ungrounded) fears that this and speed boating would be pushed onto inapproriate waters when a 10mph speed limit was placed on Windermere, the last of lakes to have no limit. In practice most of the speed boaters went to Preston Docks where they could go out to play at sea

Oh come on. You know full well that CART wont do a thing. They are on the water and CRT only do stuff for users of the towpath.

11 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

its the aquatic variation of kids on pit bikes, its all good fun until someone gets hurt and usually at some innocent persons expense :(

Just what I was thinking. To be fair there have always been numpties the difference is the toys are bigger nowadays. Idiots have been using the towpath for motorcycling for decades these numpties have just taken to the water.

39 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Those are several years old. 

Does that make it ok then?   I saw a jet ski in June on the Macc. near Congleton but it was going slowly, I thought it was a bit odd though. Maybe he slowed down when it saw 17 tons of narrowboat bearing down on him.

49 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Does that make it ok then?   

No it doesnt make it okay .

But your original post says you hope it isnt the start of a new trend.

Your hope is achieved as the evidence suggests it's not a new trend. 

If there are a few videos on youtube there may be many other similar events that are not filmed/not on youtube.

6 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

its the aquatic variation of kids on pit bikes, its all good fun until someone gets hurt and usually at some innocent persons expense :(

Indeed. In our local market town recently lads riding up and down damaging cars in the process riled the locals. One allegedly decided to take the law into his own hands and (again allegedly) lamped one of them with a shovel. He died at the scene and the guy is due to stand trial for his murder. 

So one life ended and one life ruined all because, like these idiots they thought it was great fun at the time.

Edited by MJG

• 2 weeks later...

I thought towpaths had become unsafe through the mindless action of cyclists travelling at speed, as well as trail bikes and quad bikes churning up the ground. Now the waterway is not safe. It is only a matter of time before a jet ski collides with something, Then there is the wash that may damage the bank. 

A question that must asked is how they get to the water. In fact should access be more tightly controlled.

about 2 years back we where moored at stoke prior .coming towards us was what just looked like three lads enjoying there little cruise ..they moored right outside the boat and railway ..they must have been local .for the pub to let them do that ..any an hour or so later they came out of the pub ..we where inside the boat ..and i kid you not .they came past us faster then those jet ski.s never seen anything like that nor since ...there where other boaters moored and every one of them came out of there boats to see what the hell it was ...where anyone who uses canalworld there just to confirm this happening 

On 26/10/2017 at 10:04, Tunnelman51 said:

All canal boats should be fitted with what my old dad had on his boat during WW2. 

An Oerlikon gun.

That'll stop 'em.

In an earlier life, I maintained 20mm Oerlikon guns. I never met anyone who operated one who could have hit a barn door if they were holding on to the handle!

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

In an earlier life, I maintained 20mm Oerlikon guns. I never met anyone who operated one who could have hit a barn door if they were holding on to the handle!

One of my obscure recent interests has been remotely piloted aerial vehicles, beginning during WW1 (no, that's not a typo)

Among the most successful was the DeHavilland Queen Bee:

queen_bee_1000.jpg

remotely controlled by this unlikely device:

maxresdefault.jpg

Yes, it's an adapted telephone dialler

Apparently:

There is even an account of the King witnessing a demonstration of Royal Navy gunnery prowess using the Queen Bee, during which the gunners were unable to hit it. One high-ranking officer was seen to turn to his subordinate and whisper “For ***** sake, tell the operator to dial SPIN”, at which point the Queen Bee dove into the sea, seemingly the victim of the gunners

This is quite likely. In the UK, unmanned drones showed naval gunners couldn't shoot down aeroplanes. Things haven't changed much

Richard

Edited by RLWP