Severn-Avon ring

frahkn

Featured Posts

I want to include this ring as part of next year's big trip. I did it once before but that must have been 20+ years ago.

Which way should I go - what are the pros and cons of clockwise v anti-clockwise?

What is the best time of year for decent river conditions (I don't do August!)?

Thanks.

(I want to extend the trip to Saul Junction and I plan to join or leave the Severn at Stourport). 

Edited by frahkn

I would not go clockwise round the ring such. The Severn in normal flow conditions is deep in a cutting and all you see is the river bank and trees for miles - with the occasional glimpses of open countryside - so a bit boring after a while, especially if going up against the current that could add an extra day to the trip.

There is current on the Avon, but much prettier so the extra time against the current is not so bad -  and easier to control steering the boat through narrow bridge holes (requiring a bit of throttle in the hole to get through)

Having done the Severn both ways, I would avoid going up it myself.

36 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Clockwise every time.  I would always do the Avon heading downstream, given the choice.  Apart from the hazard of the flow suddenly increasing the locks are a real pain to do coming up river.

Agree, its much easier that way.

Having done it more than once in both directions I would simply say that it's all fabulous whichever direction you choose.  

I just don't get this argument about the Severn being boring because of the high banks.  The river itself is endlessly interesting.  So much to see, if you have a mind to look.  The extra trip down to Sharpness is well worth it too.  I'd say that a two week trip round the ring plus Sharpness is as good as it gets on English inland waterways.

Having done the Avon ring in both directions many times and up and down the Severn lots I would head downstream on the Avon, then down to Sharpness and return upstream to Stourport. I normally do Gloucester docks to Worcester in one day and then up to Stourport the next day.

4 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Clockwise every time.  I would always do the Avon heading downstream, given the choice.  Apart from the hazard of the flow suddenly increasing the locks are a real pain to do coming up river.

Yep agree with that, downstream on the Avon every time if you have the choice.

Edited by john6767

Thanks very much for the opinions so far - clockwise except for one dissenting voice.

My one previous trip was clockwise but on a 40' hire boat, not on my own 70' boat. Also, I came off at Worcester (having overnighted at Upton). I imagine there have been some changes over the intervening 20 years.

What about timing - is there a month which is usually free from high stream conditions?

7 hours ago, frahkn said:

Thanks very much for the opinions so far - clockwise except for one dissenting voice.

My one previous trip was clockwise but on a 40' hire boat, not on my own 70' boat. Also, I came off at Worcester (having overnighted at Upton). I imagine there have been some changes over the intervening 20 years.

What about timing - is there a month which is usually free from high stream conditions?

There's others on here with more experience but the Avon is so volatile to sudden heavy rainfall and these days you can get that at any time of year.  We did it mid June last year thinking that would be an ideal time but a couple of stretches were on amber.  

10 hours ago, frahkn said:

Please don't make a decision based on my negative comment - you will probably like it either direction. I found the Severn boring for the reasons given. ...alhough perhaps the subtlety of the Severn Bore slipped through unnoticed.......!

1 hour ago, Horace42 said:

Please don't make a decision based on my negative comment - you will probably like it either direction. I found the Severn boring for the reasons given. ...alhough perhaps the subtlety of the Severn Bore slipped through unnoticed.......!

Not to worry, I am grateful for any advice.

It's more that it has been a long time. For instance I have done the Thames ring several times in shorter hire boats with no problem but 2 years ago I encountered significant difficulty finding moorings for my current 70' boat.