Linear Moorings

Bantam_dave21

Featured Posts

Hiya,

I've read lots of posts ref linear moorings vs marina moorings etc. But wanted to ask some specifics that I've not seen answers to yet...

I'm considering moving my boat from a marina in Newark and am considering the online moorings at Bleasby, just above Hazleford lock. All appears ok with very large piles etc but I do not know the Trent well enough to know its winter state. Should I stay in a marina setting am I more sheltered from adverse weather and high waters there etc? I had a preference for a mooring on the riverside rather than inside floating pontoon due to the size and my perhaps poor boat handling skills but I suspect I'd be more at risk from floating debris - again I don't know the Trent well enough to know if this is a reasonable risk. Also does anyone have any reviews of these moorings?

Any thoughts please L & G?

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Bantam_dave21 said:

Any thoughts please L & G?

Boats have moored there for years so it must be OK, but -

The Trent can be ’wicked’ in the Winter, and you can get a flow of  4 or5 knots, the water level can rise by 6 feet +.

Have you seen the weir at Nether Lock ? This can regularly be ‘level’ and even the wall (by the Barge Pub) can be breached. (normally at least 4 feet above the water)

I would not leave my boat on the River (it is in the Marina at Newark), but if you decide to go just ensure that you are on a floating pontoon (I think they have recently put in those new ones) and that they can cope with the rise. Make sure you can moor up correctly and ensure either you or someone inspects your boat everyday.

If you do moor on the outside you will  have the risk of tree trunks hitting you.

• Greenie 1

Hi 

Thank you for your swift responses. I think you have confirmed all the things I was worried about. 

It appears the moorings at Bleasby have some considerable rise on the pontoons it all seems quite new. But your comment ref checking it every day is the reality check really. I live circa 35 miles away from Newark (mines currently at Farndon) and the logistics of checking it every day for damage, and being well secured just aren't feasible. At least in its current home the likelihood of damage in the marina is much reduced. The consideration to move is a financial one with a few strains at the moment but not worth the risk in this instance.

thanks all.

I believe there are various suitable site for linear moorings on our waterways and I would like to see more on the less used waterways. There are sites on the BCN where this could apply. One in particular is at Galton Bridge where the towpath, nearest the station, is disused and overgrown. There is a long length here that would be useful for moorings and would have access controlled through a gate placed near the bridge where road and a link to the used towpath is possible. The down side is that CRT would have to spend money for dredging, and constructing the moorings. An advantage would be the access to the train station and buses.

• Greenie 1

There are far too many linear moorings on our waterways, and I would like to see less of them! Long lines of moored boats are unattractive to look at, especially when accompanied by landing stages, sheds, junk etc. etc. And as for being expected to slow down for what seems like mile after mile.....!      (I'm now looking for my tin hat!)

• Greenie 2

Yes, for the popular waterways, there may well be an excess on certain stretches, but as the number of craft in use increase the best places are new marinas. There however  remains places where suitable moorings are a potential benefit.

Besides slowing down for moored boats is not the exclusive reason for reducing speed. Wash can destroy or damage banks and then there are the fishermen......especially those that hide between bushes so that they are hard to see, and their rods too if the light is not good