Caledonian Canal June 2018

AllanD

Featured Posts

We did this in our own boat this year. Fantastic cruise if you get the right weather.

The butchers in Fort Augustus is a must visit and stock up at.

We found eating out places few and far between.

The takeout at Fort Augustus was shocking don't bother.

Inverness had all the expected shopping stops and a great butchers bit can't find the receipt to find the name.

We were weather bound in Banavie for three days.  The food in the Lockie is shocking, the Chinese is quite good and Fort William lacks a good pub.

3 hours ago, AllanD said:

Booked a cruiser for a week in June next year and looking for info regarding mooring, shopping and eating out.  Already have the cruising guides to study but first hand experience is always best.

Thanks in advance, AllanD 

A few pictures from My trip in April 2010:

https://timlewis.smugmug.com/Other/Caledonian-Canal-April-2010/

Tim

23 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Funny we were told that so stocked up on Avon Skin So Soft. Brought most if it back.

Perhaps we were lucky but it wasn't too bad.

Mind you the weather want brilliant during our stay. We had better weather this week in Norfolk!

They do seem to like eating me, I got bitten to pieces at Neptune’s Staircase.  The good thing about the rain in Scotland is it clears the midges :-)

We did this trip in June this year. We started on a Monday and left Caley Cruisers quite early so we were able to get the full length of Loch Ness on that day and moored at Fort Augustus. We tried to eat out but most places were full so we cooked on board. The second night we spent at Laggan. The third and fourth nights at Banavie - we went by train to Mallaig. The service train stops at Banavie and is a third of the price of The Jacobite. The shop in Banavie is much further from the canal than the Caley guide states. Our fifth night was above Cullochy lock and the sixth at Fort Augustus again. The final night we spent at the boatyard. The only night we ate out was the final one. There is a Beefeater adjacent to the Tomnahurich swing bridge - also a Premier In which we used for a night in Invernessat the start of our holiday. There are stopping places above most of the locks but few places otherwise. Caley Cruisers discourage stopping anywhere except approved moorings. They supply an excellent chart of the canal. Moorings at Fort Augustus can be busy so stern on or breasting up might be necessary. The shops there are useful.

The large lochs can be a bit lumpy especially if its windy.

We enjoyed our break - the boat was old but very clean and in good order  (Highland Commander). Everything on it worked and steering was easy. The weather was not brilliant but this meant that the midges were not a problem.

A few pictures to whet your appetite!

IMG_2238.JPG

IMG_2293.JPG

IMG_2294.JPG

IMG_2299.JPG

IMG_2311.JPG

IMG_6408.JPG

IMG_2294.JPG

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Mike E-W said:

Fort Augusta good pub mid flight great fresh fish need to book though .Fort William disappointing with poor moorings  

We didn't rate any of the pubs at Fort Augustus. Far too touristy and no atmosphere. 

The takeaway by the moorings was also possibly the poorest we have ever been too.

The butchers on the other hand was top notch.

8 hours ago, Mike E-W said:

Fort Augusta good pub mid flight great fresh fish need to book though .Fort William disappointing with poor moorings  

Fort William is disappointing generally.  The dump of the Highlands and probably best avoided, whether on a boat or not.

20 hours ago, Dave_P said:

Fort William is disappointing generally.  The dump of the Highlands and probably best avoided, whether on a boat or not.

I agree. We went there some years back,wish we hadn't bothered. 

Got eaten by midges too. 

• 6 months later...

First of all I want to thank everyone for their input into my initial enquiry, I have gleaned a lot of information to help me best experience the holiday. 

I am wondering if anyone has holidayed there in recent months and can any updates on moorings, facilities and of course eating out. 

Thanks again. 

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up Crusader class boat from West Highland Sailing at Laggan yesterday afternoon and due to the weather we overnighted at our berth. 

This morning we went through Laggan Lock onto Loch Oich and through Cullochy lock and got our gold stars from lady at Kytra lock.

Good passage through Fort Augustus and now moor in Urquhart Harbour. 

This is everything I dreamed it would be and more. 

Enjoy your trip Allan!  It's a great canal ... quite unique in my experience.

If you have time in the morning I can recomend Urquart Castle and you can moor on its pier as long as you use the North West side of it (the trip boat uses the other side)

Edited by NickF

Spent the morning at Urquhart Castle and then tried to head back to Fort Augustus but gave up as the headwind, waves and swell was too much and turned around and returned to Urquhart Harbour. 

Took advantage of the pick-up and drop-off service by Cobbs restaurant at the Clansman Hotel. Excellent meal and service from everyone involved. Would recommend it highly. 

Are heading to Inverness tomorrow by bus and as the weather will have improved head to Fort Augustus on Wednesday. 

Fantastic moorings at Urquhart Harbour and I can confirm without doubt that they are free of charge for ALL hire craft. 

Left Urquhart Harbour this morning around 8am and arrived at Fort Augustus at 10.45am. Due to boat traffic heading north and lockeeper's lunch we did not enter the bottom lock till 2.00pm. The lock was filled with 3 hire cruisers and 3 yachts. We left the top lock at 4pm. 

Moored at Kytra lock overnight. 

Left Kytra lock after a very peaceful night, idyllic place to moor. Through Cullochy lock and over Loch Oich. Weather was a bit blustery so gave the  pontoons of Invergarry castle and the Well of Seven Heads a miss headed for Loch Lochy. 

Through Gairlochy lock and onto Banavie.

There were a lot of boats and yachts about given that the school holidays haven't begun. 

Lovely morning sunshine in Banavie would follow us for the rest of the day as we cruised back to Laggan for our last night on board. Through Gairlochy Lock where the lockeeper passed down a rope from the lock side for us to use because the depth of it makes it difficult to throw a line up. 

We virtually had Loch Lochy to ourselves for most of the way. 

This trip has exceeded all my expectations.