Advice on Sawley to Anderton

Crab

Featured Posts

Hi all,

We're moving a boat from Sawley Marina up to Anderton Marina starting on Sunday and are after some good places to stop on the route as well as places not to stop if at all possible.  Also anything that we need to be aware of on the route, I've plotted the route on canal planner as well as getting the Nicholson guide book so now where most things are on the route.

3 minutes ago, Crab said:

Hi all,

We're moving a boat from Sawley Marina up to Anderton Marina starting on Sunday and are after some good places to stop on the route as well as places not to stop if at all possible.  Also anything that we need to be aware of on the route, I've plotted the route on canal planner as well as getting the Nicholson guide book so now where most things are on the route.

A nice easy trip. There are no areas unsafe to stop, some are " posher " than others but its all fine. Just be aware of the early river sections such as sawley and alrewas for instance and check what the river is doing there. If you are on a widebeam you will soon get stuck :D :cheers:

We did most of this trip a few years ago and really enjoyed it, the only scary bit for SWMBO was as stated above at Arlewas, the river was quite high but apparently safe to proceed

but she didn't like it at all and just remember to duck in Harecastle tunnel.

Many thanks all, we're doing it all in one week as its a hire boat.  Thankfully its a narrowboat rather than a wide beam by the sounds of it.  Will see what the storm brings in relation to the river sectionswhich sound interesting, the only river I've done before was the Thames when I did my CCBM course with Hillingdon Narrowboats last year.

I did it from Norton Junction late August in 4 days, so a week is quite sensible at this time of year.

I would suggest Alrewas or Fradley, Great Haywood, Festival Park rather than the Tunnel entrance at Harecastle. Bluebell Inn at Kidsgrove, Middlewich,  go down Anderton lift and have a day on the River Weaver.  This allows lots of spare time for inclement weather and visiting places - something I don't have the luxury of doing when moving boats. 

20 hours ago, matty40s said:

I did it from Norton Junction late August in 4 days, so a week is quite sensible at this time of year.

Where did you overnight on the way up? It's a route I've done a few times but going via the scenic route (Shroppie!)

Anchor at hartshill,,Rugeley visitor moorings, the carvery at festival park and then bottom end of Middlewich (the big Lock).

I prefer the Shroppie but thought that hire crews /fishing competitions and a broken lock on the Middlewich branch might slow me down a bit!!!!

I'm trying to think of the stops en-route I took but only seem to remember Hack Green to Brewood on the way out and Great Haywood to the Broughton Arms on my return. I probably should write this stuff down.

Edited by Liam

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all, we managed it without any major problems, even managed an afternoon in Stoke-On-Trent taking the kids swimming, mooring outside the Carvery before tackling the Harecastle tunnel first thing the next morning.  All in all a very enjoyable weeks cruise, the only downside was we couldn't go on the Anderton boat lift as the hire company wouldn't allow it on this occasion although they have said if we pre-book it with them they'll be happy to include it next time round.

Good, you had an enjoyable trip. Well. I am jotting down some of the places that were too beautiful and I like during my trip:

1)Heritage Centre, near Shardlow Lock

2)Swan public house at Fradley Junction

3)hugborough Hall, the home of the late Patrick Lichfield

23 hours ago, joshuabr said:

Good, you had an enjoyable trip. Well. I am jotting down some of the places that were too beautiful and I like during my trip:

1)Heritage Centre, near Shardlow Lock

2)Swan public house at Fradley Junction

3)hugborough Hall, the home of the late Patrick Lichfield

Is that near Shugborough hall?! :P .... sorry couldnt resist!

Rick

• Haha 1

On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 18:23, Crab said:

Thanks all, we managed it without any major problems, even managed an afternoon in Stoke-On-Trent taking the kids swimming, mooring outside the Carvery before tackling the Harecastle tunnel first thing the next morning.  All in all a very enjoyable weeks cruise, the only downside was we couldn't go on the Anderton boat lift as the hire company wouldn't allow it on this occasion although they have said if we pre-book it with them they'll be happy to include it next time round.

Did you try the Thai café in Waterworld, the food was really good last time we were there with our two children