Planning next cruise - Thames/Basingstoke/K&A

Featured Posts

I have been in touch with the Basingstoke and the Wey, but nobody could really shed much light on anything - for example I thought to get a 21 day license for the Wey, at the beginning of the year so I could be away before their lock closure, but they didn't like the sound of that. I guess incase I was late and got stuck there. The Basingstoke there are possibly lengthy lock closures but they don't really know when or how long for.

I thought to buy a Thames license for a day on 31st Dec or 1st Jan thus canceling my crt license and buying first a Wey then a Basingstoke then after that a EA for a week then back to a crt for the K&A. Otherwise I need a gold which means I wont have saved anything as you have to buy the whole year - though it does seem a bit daft effectively having two licenses on the go at the same time (ie Wey and Gold)

I think I must have picked the most complicated places, what with throwing the Thames into the mix.

Still trying to figure it all out, plus a possible Bow backwaters tour day.

I spoke to a very helpful crt boat spotter(?) the other day who gave me a lot of info on doing the Thames. So my next thing is to go down to Limehouse and have a chat with the lock keeper there.

Whatever I end up doing it looks like it'll have to be planned and booked to a certain extent - I usually prefer to just "see how it goes" but that won't be appropriate on these stretches.

If by any chance anyone else with a boat is wanting to go West on the Thames, either from Limehouse or Brentford - do get in touch!

If you do plan to come out at Limehouse, please bear in mind my earlier comments about VHF radio, however it is sufficient if you're in convoy with another boat which has a radio and operator.

Also the accepted wisdom I think is preferably go early morning so you're past the area where the Thames Clipper ferries make big waves before they come out to play, and/or have someone aboard with experience of coping with them.

I'd still be up for crewing on your trip from the East End to Reading, and particularly useful for doing all the locks if you go via the Paddington Arm and Brentford, except not in the next few weeks. I recently had a week in hospital and have been ordered to keep in the warm and rest for weeks, so am not really available to go boating until the new year.

2 hours ago, Peter X said:

I recently had a week in hospital and have been ordered to keep in the warm and rest for weeks, so am not really available to go boating until the new year.

Sorly to hear that you have been unwell Peter, nothing too serious I hope?

Here's wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Sorly to hear that you have been unwell Peter, nothing too serious I hope?

Here's wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

It felt very serious at the time, terrible chest pain. As always with such symptoms, the hospital began with urgently checking the heart, but when the old X ticker turned out to be running perfectly they did a CT scan and discovered pneumonia. A combination of morphine for the pain and antibiotics settled things down, and I'm told the tablets will slowly get me back fighting fit, but for the time being rest is imperative. So probably no boating until January for me, I'm concentrating on my other hobby of board games.

Oddly the CT scan showed up a complete red herring, a big cyst next to my heart which after much learned debate the doctors now think is harmless and congenital, i.e. I was born with it.

9 hours ago, Peter X said:

It felt very serious at the time, terrible chest pain. As always with such symptoms, the hospital began with urgently checking the heart, but when the old X ticker turned out to be running perfectly they did a CT scan and discovered pneumonia. A combination of morphine for the pain and antibiotics settled things down, and I'm told the tablets will slowly get me back fighting fit, but for the time being rest is imperative. So probably no boating until January for me, I'm concentrating on my other hobby of board games.

Oddly the CT scan showed up a complete red herring, a big cyst next to my heart which after much learned debate the doctors now think is harmless and congenital, i.e. I was born with it.

Get well soon. Chest pains are always worrying.

I had some on my home from work several years ago. Turned out to be dry pleurosy. Quickly cured with antibiotics and pain killers.