How to stop being unmoored by yobs

Boisdevie

Featured Posts

I find having a reactive GSD on board helps. He growls at every person passing on the towpath,  and if  they take too long in passing the  boat , he goes into ferocIous barking and snarling mode.

Not as effective as Tree Monkeys solution though :lol:

Continuous cruise that stops the little scrotes casting you off...and there's another not oft used phrase. Untie being the current parlance.

we used to commence engines when trip boating..it only had an ha3 but crew telling the great unwashed the skipper was commencing engines sounded so professional unlike what then happened

3 hours ago, RLWP said:

I couldn't imagine you tying a line off to anything else on a boat

A Capstan turns

Richard

You should have been in Middlewich this week, centre rope and then front end of handrail with a nice loop hanging from bow T to handrail at the right height to trip anyone up as they left the boat

"How to stop being unmoored by yobs"

I find myself wondering if it is really 'yobs'. There are plenty of intolerant middle class people out there who resent boats and boaters mooring near their houses, running their noisy engines and burning their stinky stoves.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if one of these types decided 'direct action' was better than moaning repeatedly and ineffectively at CRT about the boats. 

5 minutes ago, canalboat said:

I always thought the loop on the pin was to put the rope through so that if it dragged out, or someone pulled it out, provided you tied off on board, you didn't loose the pin.

That is true, but when moored the rope should go the loop and around the pin, so that no strings is put on the loop when a passing boat pulls the ropes tight.

On 20/10/2017 at 11:31, cuthound said:

That is true, but when moored the rope should go the loop and around the pin, so that no strings strain is put on the loop when a passing boat pulls the ropes tight.

Fixed :)

On 20/10/2017 at 09:50, Mike the Boilerman said:

"How to stop being unmoored by yobs"

I find myself wondering if it is really 'yobs'. There are plenty of intolerant middle class people out there who resent boats and boaters mooring near their houses, running their noisy engines and burning their stinky stoves.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if one of these types decided 'direct action' was better than moaning repeatedly and ineffectively at CRT about the boats. 

I woke up on the wrong side of the Runcorn Arm many years ago. We were late turning in as we were the last to leave the pub we were moored beside, so it wasnt people leaving the pub. When I mentioned it t the pub they said it will be the early morning fishermen. This was a very long time ago.

13 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Bluddy auto wrong, I check to see it hasn't interfered before I post but I guess I see wot I thort I rote, rather than wot is ritten. :blush:

Right now I’m watching Sky news about a nutter with a shotgun about half a mile from our house...