Shardlow to nottingham

Harlan

Featured Posts

No problems going downstream apart from the pull of Sawley Weir so keep well away from the barrier. At Beeston Weir  keep to the left bank when approaching it. Going upstream there is a narrow section just below Cranfleet lock where the river flow can be quite strong so just be aware of it and be prepared to put more power on, keeping towards the bank can help. Enjoy the trip.

If the flood lock at Sawley is in action I'd think again.

Only because if the river is rising you might end up punching the narrows on the bend below Cranfleet Lock on your return, also when it rises they put the gates on at the top of Cranfleet under the railway bridge.  Which leaves you with an enjoyable, long trek to recover your car.

Sadly the weather in the Derby area is not always an indicator of what the river will be doing. Since the flood alleviation work was completed umpty years ago everyone in your area learnt that "alleviate" doesn't mean it reduces or makes it easier.  It means hurry it down line, get it out of your area and let those further along the river deal with it.

Consequently someone peeing into The Trent from behind a bush in Burton or a geezer washing his car on his drive up near Matlock seems to result in a sunny day rip tide at Sawley followed the next day by a Tsunami in Newark.

Curiously the next day while the inhabitants of Cleethorpes are stacking sand bags against their front doors the EA will have announced a hosepipe ban spanning the area between Stoke on Trent and Leeds.  That's how unpredictable it can be. I once poddled down from Shardlow to charge my batteries.  The intention was to have a quick lunchtime pint at The Steamboat and be back in time for early doors at The Malt Shovel that evening.  However in the meantime some irresponsible person watered his garden in Staffordshire and I became a temporary resident on The Erewash for over a week.

So just check Sawley flood lock and if both gates are pinned back you'll be fine.

:boat:

• Greenie 2

11 hours ago, Richard T said:

No problems going downstream apart from the pull of Sawley Weir so keep well away from the barrier. At Beeston Weir  keep to the left bank when approaching it. Going upstream there is a narrow section just below Cranfleet lock where the river flow can be quite strong so just be aware of it and be prepared to put more power on, keeping towards the bank can help. Enjoy the trip.

I wish someone had told me this before we went down the Trent the first time.  The pull of Beeston weir is a lot stronger than you imagine, even if you are used to rivers.  

I think the Trent is quite deceptive, even when water levels are low there seems to be much more flow than on say the Severn or the Thames.  I've been on the Avon when levels have been at Amber and the current wasn't as strong as some sections of the Trent eg like that bit before Cranfleet.   

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Sawley flood lock wide open yesterday morning , the Trent is currently very low.

It is, we draw 4 foot 6" and, on Thursday at North Muskham we had just 4 foot 7" of water,

Had trouble in the same  spot last year, but actually grounded - (this is in the middle the main navigable channel, not on a bend or spit)

7 hours ago, matty40s said:

Sawley flood lock wide open yesterday morning , the Trent is currently very low.

I've heard recently (from a reliable source) that the flood gates at Sawley might be found closed more often than not. As the job has passed to whoever is on call rather than a resident keeper, there's a good chance they will be closed early if bad weather is forecast. Not a problem at Sawley, but will definitely be if the same starts happening at Cranfleet.

Edited by noddyboater