Ideal size boat?

DimitriOrlov

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, DimitriOrlov said:

What about height?

i see some boat with perma to things sticking up a lot higher than others, are they OK to go under most bridges?

Are there many places this boat could not go to?

If you look in the front of each section of the ‘Nicholson’s Guides to The Waterways it will answer all   these questions:

Examples

Fossdyke navigation (Torksey to Lincoln)

Length: 75 feet

Beam: 15 feet 3 inches

Headroom : 9 feet 2 inches

Soar Navigation

Length:  72 feet

Beam : 14 feet 4 inches

Headroom :  7 feet 6 inches

3 hours ago, DimitriOrlov said:

What about height?

i see some boat with perma to things sticking up a lot higher than others, are they OK to go under most bridges?

image.jpeg

Yes, there are very many waterways where that boat couldn't go because of low bridges or tunnels. It's not unusual to have to take the chimney off a 'normal' narrowboat to be sure of fitting under bridges etc. while cruising, so fixed wheelhouses etc. will mean serious restrictions.

You asked where exactly a 70' boat can't go. See here for a list:

http://www.abnb.co.uk/submenupages/length.html

...but bear in mind that these restrictions also affect your route to waterways where a 70' would fit. For instance, a 70' boat will fit on the Aire and Calder, but how are you going to get it there when you can't travel along the L&L from Wigan to Leeds (62ft), or along the Calder and Hebble (60ft max)? The tidal Trent would be your only option.

Edited by magictime

3 hours ago, DimitriOrlov said:

What about height?

image.jpeg

Yes,

Mainly any canal with one or more low bridges or tunnels on it. :giggles:

Edited by cuthound
Clarification

14 hours ago, DimitriOrlov said:

What about height?

image.jpeg

That boat can go anywhere silly. Its a bloomin submarine it simply dive dive dives and clears any bridge in the deep deep water of our canal system.

12 hours ago, matty40s said:

You obviously havnt got to the Coventry yet.........

I can assure you its better than it used to be We viewed our first boat to live on at Ansty in 89 and the owner moved it round the corner down towards Coventry on the day we took it away and boy oh boy its sooooooooooooo much better now. There were cars and sofas a plenty on our first ever trip with the boat and we went aground no end of times, we remember thinking " What have we done " :lol:

We will be on it later this morning and hope it hasn't got too bad since our last visit 3 years ago :mellow:

12 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I can assure you its better than it used to be We viewed our first boat to live on at Ansty in 89 and the owner moved it round the corner down towards Coventry on the day we took it away and boy oh boy its sooooooooooooo much better now. There were cars and sofas a plenty on our first ever trip with the boat and we went aground no end of times, we remember thinking " What have we done " :lol:

We will be on it later this morning and hope it hasn't got too bad since our last visit 3 years ago :mellow:

We did the full length of the Coventry (apart from the five and a half) in both directions at the end of the summer and had no trouble at all. The nearest we came to a problem was two bicycles at a bridge in Tamworth. Fotunately they had already been pulled out and left on the towpath by the ime we went through.

Of course this could just be because our boat has a sensible sub-two foot draught as, I believe, does Tim's.

We've also just done the full length of the Ashby and were warned by a couple of boaters leaving it that it was shallow. Not that we noticed!    

Tim, shame we only saw you briefly and unexpectedly on Wednesday, didn't give me sufficient time to admire the new paint job. Looked good though from the brief glimpse I got. What's the story beind the new name? Are you on a whistle stop tour?

Edited by Lily Rose
Add bits

10 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

We did the full length of the Coventry (apart from the five and a half) in both directions at the end of the summer and had no trouble at all. The nearest we came to a problem was two bicycles at a bridge in Tamworth. Fotunately they had already been pulled out and left on the towpath by the ime we went through.

Of course this could just be because our boat has a sensible sub-two foot draught as, I believe, does Tim's.

We've also just done the full length of the Ashby and were warned by a couple of boaters leaving it that it was shallow. Not that we noticed!    

Tim, shame we only saw you briefly and unexpectedly on Wednesday, didn't give me sufficient time to admire the new paint job. Looked good though from the brief glimpse I got. What's the story beind the new name? Are you on a whistle stop tour?

The name is from a certain film cos we are saddos and yes as to draught it all to do with living and learning some people live but never learn :lol: Having a deep draughted boat is all very well on the Aire and Calder but on our selection of little dtches that abound they make noooooooooooooooo sense whatsoever as was again proved to me early in the week at the Claydon flight when we and a couple of others got through but a couple of engine roomed boats with clunk clunks in had to tie up, but hey ho what better place than the centre of your living accommodation to put an antiquated lump of steel/iron/alloy ;) they do look pretty though.

Edited by mrsmelly

Presumably this film, which I'd never previously heard of. Anyway, I now can't help but think of it meaning anything other than you being on a whistle stop tour.

Re draught, I knew nothing about the pros and cons of varying draughts, as well as oodles of other things, when I bought the boat. I guess I just got lucky. I'll know next, assuning there s  next time (probably not).

All the best for the rest of your trip oop norf. You must be looking forward to some decent fish and chips. Or perhaps you had some in The Folly. We'll hopefully see you darn sarf again some time in the future, perhaps after you've been reminded how grim it is in the north.

17 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Rick Cooper regularly takes his laden  fuel boat Auriga pretty much the full length of the Coventry Canal without issues.

In comparison with the Souther Oxford is is much deeper. 

Yep it certainly is. But I will probably hit a car or somett soon :lol:

On 19/10/2017 at 14:45, Scholar Gypsy said:

Brandon Lock on the Little Ouse will only take a NB up to about 48', but there is only a mile or so of river beforehand. Rather nicer to walk all the way to Thetford and get a train back to Brandon ...

Took the canoe up there and the fallen trees were the biggest problem and not a lot of interest in removing them above the town

6 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

Presumably this film, which I'd never previously heard of. Anyway, I now can't help but think of it meaning anything other than you being on a whistle stop tour.

Re draught, I knew nothing about the pros and cons of varying draughts, as well as oodles of other things, when I bought the boat. I guess I just got lucky. I'll know next, assuning there s  next time (probably not).

All the best for the rest of your trip oop norf. You must be looking forward to some decent fish and chips. Or perhaps you had some in The Folly. We'll hopefully see you darn sarf again some time in the future, perhaps after you've been reminded how grim it is in the north.

Wrong film :D

On ‎26‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:19, matty40s said:

Don't go too fast, should be catching you up by the weekend

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2017 at 17:17, smiler said:

I lived there 26 years about 200yards north of the lock alongside the river and have never seen a narrowboat navigate on the river.

To be honest, thinking about it after my last post, most NBs would be turning right out the lock and heading south??

You must have been out on those days but over the years i have visited the L+L often as i moored at Sawley and sShardlow for years and all but once when i did the huddersfield route have always gone up and down via Keadby ... have also turned left out of keadby several times as my ex came from market weighton so we often visited her family there.

Rick