Yank - Locked in For Hire from Chirk

tipton1947

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Thanks for your input. It has been most helpful! I have a few more questions.

1. We found from our experience last year that it would be better to spend a night locally  prior to picking up the boat. This gives us time to get groceries and otherwise oriented. So we plan on arriving in Chirk on Friday and do grocery shopping Saturday morning. Any suggestions as to where to stay in Chirk?

2. We will be picking up our boats on Saturday afternoon. Is better to head out for Llangollen immediately or go the other direction to Ellesmere?

3. Everyone involved is very excited!

Thanks!

40 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

oh!    From the thread title I thought you had been arrested for the offence of hiring a boat from Chirk.

2 nations separated by a common language.

I think that would have been 'locked up' on either side of the Atlantic. Now, if he said he was 'pissed' in Chirk, you may have had a point...! :D

Can't help on accommodation but I'd say Llangollen first -  I think it would work to spend all day Monday in Llangollen and all day Thursday in Ellesmere, giving you two days to get from one to the other which is plenty. Others may have different views. I can see merits in doing it the other way round too

There are two biggish hotels near the Glendrid roundabout, just outside chirk

The lord morton

The lion quays

Plus Llangollen is full of B&B type hotels, plenty of supermarkets in Wrexham to stock up for the trip or if you want to try some local colour go to Stans supermarket,  there is also a superb butcher in Llangollen itself

When we had a share boat, we often used to get Tesco or one of the other large supermarkets to deliver the grocieries direct to the boatyard.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/

It's easy if you have the postcode for the boatyard and the name of the boat. Saves lugging large quantities of shopping (wine and beer are especially heavy :mellow:) about.

12 hours ago, tipton1947 said:

Hi All,

Thanks for your input. It has been most helpful! I have a few more questions.

1. We found from our experience last year that it would be better to spend a night locally  prior to picking up the boat. This gives us time to get groceries and otherwise oriented. So we plan on arriving in Chirk on Friday and do grocery shopping Saturday morning. Any suggestions as to where to stay in Chirk?

2. We will be picking up our boats on Saturday afternoon. Is better to head out for Llangollen immediately or go the other direction to Ellesmere?

3. Everyone involved is very excited!

Thanks!

I am not familiar with hotels etc. in Chirk, but if you are food shopping there is superb butchers shop there - McArdles - which is a must! If you have time, try to visit Chirk Castle which is well worth seeing.

Have a great holiday

Howard

Having groceries delivered is a great idea. Have many of you done so. My concern is that if the delivery doesn't make it on time you will have some real problems at the last minute.

My wife thought that going to the Tesco website would help make out a shopping list showing what is available.

Tesco deliver in 2 hours time slots, so as you are staying in the Chirk area the night before, you could get to the boatyard early and await your delivery. If you talk to the boatyard they might accept it on your behalf,  or allow you early access to the boat to stash it onboard when it arrives.

More details here.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/help/?rel=help

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

Tesco deliver in 2 hours time slots, so as you are staying in the Chirk area the night before, you could get to the boatyard early and await your delivery. If you talk to the boatyard they might accept it on your behalf,  or allow you early access to the boat to stash it onboard when it arrives.

More details here.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/help/?rel=help

Sainsbury's have one hour slots which may make it easier ... I don't know if they deliver to Chirk!