Whispergen...

MtB

Featured Posts

Ok tonight I have fired up the Whispergen for the first time. 

00.15am and the batteries are silently charging at 30A into a 24v bank. Boat is like an oven with the radiators chucking out 2kW of heat and I have the side doors open to cool it down. 

Now the thing has just turned off (with an overheat error I suspect) as I am supposed to be giving it a 4kW heat load. 

Perhaps I'd better connect it into the skin tank to dump some of this heat energy to stop it shutting down. 

Looks very promising though and lots of thanks to Peterboat for all the help in getting it purchased and installed.

On 14/10/2017 at 00:43, pete23 said:

Is this the gen in a cacoon type case?  Is it master volt??  If so I know someone who has one in the back of there shed for spares

Hi Pete, harzit going?!?!

Yes, and no respectively. This is a diesel fired Sterling engine operating an alternator to charge and radiator circuit to heat the boat. Made in New Zealand before the stupid earthquake destroyed the factory... 

20 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

20 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Perhaps I'd better connect it into the skin tank to dump some of this heat energy to stop it shutting down. 

It should have a secondary coolant pump running to a skin tank to dump the excess heat when you only want battery charging.

There are two sets of water in & out on the back for this.

Edited by davidg

17 minutes ago, davidg said:

It should have a secondary coolant pump running to a skin tank to dump the excess heat when you only want battery charging.

There are two sets of water in & out on the back for this.

Not on mine there aren't. Mine is the 'land based' version which has only one water circuit. 

Mine is very rare in that it is the 'land based' version but 24Vdc rather than 240Vac. Probably why it was cheap!

I'm concluding there is a fault actually. The coolant temperature can be set in the software, and should regulate the speed of fuel injection pulse pump. Mine does not moderate down the speed of the injection pulse pump as the coolant temperature rises, it runs it flat out until the over-temperature cutout steps in and shuts the system down. This takes about half an hour from first ignition.5

More reading of the manuals is required. I suspect a failed temp sensor. I need to find it and test it.  

(Edit for clarity.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman