Alde Slimline Boiler

Featured Posts

• 4 years later...

Rekindling an aged thread.

After years of trials and tribulations, repairs and sometimes botched repairs, I have come to the conclusion that our beloved Alde Comfort Slimline 2829(?) boiler is deceased.

We have a leak from the header tank somewhere. The lower burner control has stopped controlling. (Will not turn). Well basically it’s duff for a number of reasons.

So, two things being considered.

1. Buy a refurbed unit, if there’s any available.

Or

2. Source and install a replacement boiler. 

Either way, would be looking for a LPG Gas Safe chappie in the Banbury area. Presently moored above Claydon Locks on the South Oxford.

To add, we use the boiler as a secondary means for hot water/heating. But with an efficient boiler we may well use more frequently.

As always, any advice, suggestions or recommendations welcome.

Thank you.

As you probably have a copper calorifier and possibly copper pipes then the modern Aldes are unlikely to be an option unless you change a lot of the plumbing for plastic/stainless steel. The modern units have an alloy heat exchanger and Alde say copper is not allowed because of corrosion.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

As you probably have a copper calorifier and possibly copper pipes then the modern Aldes are unlikely to be an option unless you change a lot of the plumbing for plastic/stainless steel. The modern units have an alloy heat exchanger and Alde say copper is not allowed because of corrosion.

Hadn’t realised that Tony. Thank you.

To add, again, space/room is an issue. Lots to think about.

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Much as I hate to say this but I think one of the diesel boilers may be the most practical option and that could be fitted in the engine bay

I was just about to post exactly the same thing but without the hate. ;)

The current availability and price trends for LPG would also suggest that diesel is a better choice of fuel going forwards.   

Just searched the Hurricane boiler. I don’t doubt they are good but Calcutt who are agents for the company seam to sell the base unit for £2600 and a narrowboat kit for £680, or thereabouts. Plus fitting and all the sundry costs amounts to quite a great deal of money.

There are others I’m sure.

Research, research research. I have in the recent past spoken to Ian Smith of Autoterm. Will look deeper into this company.

Edited by Nightwatch

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

Just searched the Hurricane boiler. I don’t doubt they are good but Calcutt who are agents for the company seam to sell the base unit for £2600 and a narrowboat kit for £680, or thereabouts. Plus fitting and all the sundry costs amounts to quite a great deal of money.

Research, research research.

Webasto Eberspacher Mikuni type I meant.

• Happy 1

Research, research research.

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Webasto Eberspacher Mikuni type I meant.

Is the Eberspacher the one that sounds like an industrial units air conditioning and ventilation system, without the silencer?

19 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Is the Eberspacher the one that sounds like an industrial units air conditioning and ventilation system, without the silencer?

I think any make of that type of heater will tend to sound like mini-jet engines when running. It is the flame roaring in the blown combustion air plus fan noise.

• Happy 1

My temporary next door neighbour has bought a refurbed (not new) Webasto diesel heater. He hasn’t fitted it yet. I need water heating and heating capability not just hot air blowing.

This has got me thinking more. I’m looking at the Autoterm unit, but also considering the Webasto, the Eberspacher, and the Mikuni.

So mayI ask others opinions of the four units. We all have our favourites. But ease of installation, reliability, and anything else I may have to consider.

52 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

My temporary next door neighbour has bought a refurbed (not new) Webasto diesel heater. He hasn’t fitted it yet. I need water heating and heating capability not just hot air blowing.

This has got me thinking more. I’m looking at the Autoterm unit, but also considering the Webasto, the Eberspacher, and the Mikuni.

So mayI ask others opinions of the four units. We all have our favourites. But ease of installation, reliability, and anything else I may have to consider.

12 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Don't rule out the Russian/Chinese version of those heaters. We seem to be getting fair reports about them.

The same choice as for many other bits of kit such as inverters -- you can pay more for stuff supplied and supported (including spares) by companies like Evo/Webby, or buy something considerably cheaper from a less reliable supplier. The kit might or might not be as well designed and made -- it may be made in the same factories, or almost identical -- but is more likely to have issues with spares and support/maintenance in future.

You might get a good one which is reliable, or one which turns out to be junk that breaks down and is essentially unfixable -- but you'll have saved a lot of money up front.

Literally, you pays your money and you takes your choice... 😉

(N.B. "I bought a cheap Chinese one and it was fine" is anecdote not evidence, just like "I didn't wear a mask and I didn't catch Covid" -- you need to get a lot of them out there to know if they really *are* good or bad...)

Edited by IanD

50 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Don't rule out the Russian/Chinese version of those heaters. We seem to be getting fair reports about them.

Are those not warm air blowers? I've not noticed any that heat water and radiators but I'm off to do a bit of googling to find out more....

Edit to add: 

Yes there are, they seem to cost about £350 or so, so not cheap like the air heaters. Here's an example. 

image.png.c483af9ee008af832897bee6ca81b611.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275042119767?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item4009c9b057:g:~A4AAOSw1e1hoMIi&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACoPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSlHY%2FYTip4QFVjNQrCEJt6nb4%2Be3f4ynFgrJK9phWPdP%2BkcYB4CB%2F1AGGKG8qTNFF4ijz1bjE7sKKd%2B6Jw%2BrTL8xzXm%2FMoLFqJkMw59RQWJPufMTQl%2FH9qEkAVdxB%2FMCzx0L3mCsDpIQRRHMjPle8D5eWxXCvCDW9bTEGQq0CmIiWPZOxOMuzq%2B8h%2BFonaLhbuLvmG5Npje5Ld2eAExeK5KZuUnq%2BB%2FHsb5onkk8RFEfZKN8wYoDRUrC3fO5%2BIBFeEoKV4J8v%2FvYuugIxDvoTH3qYcHrk0OJL9SM3%2BbQk0C70ClTaWSIPMlzpDxFxFR7fs0nuNWd%2BMVg%2BfVg4lw9BAzCDF%2Bt0XXdiXVXU%2FivUH1PxFqSyNGC3n222JlIcmeoQFVGH7TDzjdm6vCnzQK7F%2B64qHC%2Fi0mu2D8dNKm00TvNLLg0Uv%2BouyPW8cIrEF5vsSCDJapgOfRAZ8ZdZTpECAjdS0vth8Rv9gEp6FOBdx%2B%2BhQO7nJGU6RJVuK4Xcq8%2F9IcXs9LeeUzdb%2FtikeEN1wxJ6l%2Bv0m3BpiAXEIJQAf1cq%2FmjI76T4g2%2FPYuTBQgfDmVhxXBt4qKQZ4ZhsPN9XLZCwqSK%2F8HXaqhLlLaIiw24ZAr0oaoYC0q%2F5Fgtf%2BtNY5MQR%2BQarPoWzoGi5GfOx5vOvJFYI%2FD19SafBqb0iI%2FUdgMt8wPv%2Bkziv0MySmDNhctkOUJPC5SMJ%2BOPImSlNsCKpCfcHURkV9Hva1gbiUmNeuDfXWfLuf%2FgkoNd5gpKPrxvvnK06RUsNw7qJYmzKrvl4VOPKXYpWB%2B5n0zK2XCzePC2Wtb4AIFsKP4wPGvBRib%2FhvKEkcm%2FDHER1lmC9ew%3D%3D|clp%3A2334524|tkp%3ABFBMtPzNuMxf

Edited by MtB

We replaced the Alde boiler on our shared owners boat last winter with an Eberspacher unit fitted in the engine bay.  So far it has performed well and we also get a bit more (narrow) cupboard space where the boiler used to live. The Alde had been a bit temperamental in it’s last couple of years.  Gas is now just for cooking and a bottle lasts for ages.  It seems to have been a timely move with the issues regarding shortage of Calor gas.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1