PETTER PH2M

sosa8888

Featured Posts

Have a look on the fuel injection pumps- some are marked "AVA" on the brass plates ( when it's an AVA engine!). PH2 is more powerful, I am familiar with these in dumpers- dead reliable, good cold starting, nice noise from the PH2. Very important to get the injection pumps working equally between cylinders, adjust the connecting links between pump racks.

Looks very much like a PH2 to me, that's the gearbox that they are usually fitted with

I'll take some pictures of an air cooled PH2 we have in store so you can compare them

All the air ducts are missing on your engine

Richard

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

Gearbox is or almost certain an old  Morris-Newage, also often fitted to BMC Vedettes and Captains, Coventry Victors.

That is exactly what it is, quite similar to the Parsons gearbox

Richard

Probably best way will be to establish the cylinder bore . the AVA has 80mm bore, the PH has 87.3mm.

The stroke of both AV and PH is the same at 110mm.

But of course that means having one head off. Or maybe an injector out and somehow devising a way to poke a bit of wire about and measure it, but that's going to be a real feat of ingenuity.

They are so similar in external looks that there may be no significant differences which you can identify.

Hope that helps, cheers Mick

• 3 weeks later...
This engine is a late type Petter AVA2 ( 11 HP) with rotary oil pump engine nos  3230035 to 3299999  the gearbox is a BMC . I  am just finishing off the earlier water cooled version AV type , see attached picture and have a PHW with a BMC box. 

Your engine was built between June 1961 and Feb 1966 the no in the pic B 2/142382 is a casting number.  

Thx for all mr. Perkins.