Limping Home

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Shame is wasn't the six cylinder Ford Zodiac. The missing piston may not have actually been, err, missed so easily|

And on a point of order, I don't remember Araldite being invented until the seventies... time for a google!

I think 2 part Epoxy glue was invented during ww2, I think they stuck the Mosquito aeroplane together with it.

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Shame is wasn't the six cylinder Ford Zodiac. The missing piston may not have actually been, err, missed so easily|

And on a point of order, I don't remember Araldite being invented until the seventies... time for a google!

One of my fellow Apprentices had a Big End Bearing fail a long way from Home,Sump off ,Rod and Piston out and a Jubilee Clip around the Oil  'ole got them back OK 

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I think 2 part Epoxy glue was invented during ww2, I think they stuck the Mosquito aeroplane together with it.

IIRC it was called Redux?

There was another trick when a crank journal had worn oval. That was get a piece of very thin 2, 4 or 5 thou shim spring steel or whatever size needed, grind a bit off the shell bearing ends, pop trimmed up pieces of the shim between shells and rod, log it up tight. The springyness of the shim would cause the bearing shells to follow the journals ovality and stopped it knocking, unless you revved the engine too hard when the springyness could be beaten.

Edited by bizzard

Another get you home wheese was with brakes. leaking hydraulic wheel or master cylinder rubbers and lost brakes. Fix= Remove offending seal rubber. Wind cotton around the seals groove in the piston, refit the seal which will now be expanded a little, enough to keep the fluid in under pressure.  A precision repair. Another more permanent wheese concerned crank shaft thrust bearings on certain old vehicles with coil spring clutch pressure plates which on vehicles especially like Rootes group, Hillmans, Commers ect could wear the C shaped thrust bearings out very rapidly if the driver was heavy with their clutch hoof.  We would remove the centre main bearing cap, chuck the old worn out thrusts away and build up new thrust surfaces on the cap by brazing, file to suit, bolt up, box up, another precision job done and would invariably out last the life of the car or engine.

Another wheeze. By buying a box of Quality Street chocolates not only will it provide you with a tasty gorge but also spare coloured light lenses for when you bust them on your car and don't want to get nicked. Yes its the coloured cellophane wrappers the chocs come in.  I think the red ones wrap strawberry creams, amber ones nouget, and green coconut and clear ones for front lights but can't remember which chos they were.  Stuck over the busted lens with cellotape is another presision job well done.

Well his is what started me with engines, my dad had an A55 that rattled its big ends out. He paid a local garage to fix it, a few weeks later it started rattling again. Dad couldn't afford to have it done again so with the help of a friend out came the engine followed by a strip down. Now my dad was a brick layer but he knew that big end shells were not designed to be shimmed out with strips of time sheets. Last time an engine was overhauled by a garage.

3 minutes ago, tom_c said:

If one cylinder isn't firing, is it actually injecting fuel? I saw an sr2 where the injector pipe was loose on the pump and the fuel was going straight into the sump. 

Tom 

It was firing when we left Aynho, who did their best to patch the engine up and had it running very sweetly but still leaking diesel into the oil, it was injecting fuel (but probably misfiring) at Reading. Heaven knows what it's up to now...

Edited to add - the Oysterband quote in my signature seems very pertinent at the moment!

Edited by magpie patrick