Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
kremmen

Blake's lock closing for 5 months'

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Its beautiful and sunny here today again :D

.......... And mr smelly has his shorts on and deckchair out in anticipation of next weeks holiday :

b999b73082de3e8ff6351d6d726f566e.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Looks like our release date from K&A prison may be delayed then. No mention of extended closure yet!

Weather at Kintbury is frost on the ground and clear skies and sunshine all around.

This has not bothered me before on this canal, but as far as I can see there's no fresh water supply between Kintbury and Aldermaston. Coming the 'other way' we asked at Greenham island, when getting Diesel and a pumpout, but we declined his offer of £5 for water. Online there's a tap symbol indicating water in the marina with the drydock where Bill Fisher used to own and live. Any other ideas.

Cheeky sods!! its not like you hadnt bought owt is it :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Its beautiful and sunny here today again :D

Yes, lovely here in East Kent, but blooming cold!  I was wondering if they have works to do that are dependent on warmer temperatures?  Our forecast is for the coldest part of this spell to arrive next Wednesday.

19 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Its beautiful and sunny here today again :D

Yes, lovely here in East Kent, but blooming cold!  I was wondering if they have works to do that are dependent on warmer temperatures?  Our forecast is for the coldest part of this spell to arrive next Wednesday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

Turn around and fill up at Hungerford. That's about it. 

Very few water taps this end of the K&A. Crofton tap is still not working after about a year. 

Must have broken again. We got water there in Octobertime. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Must have broken again. We got water there in Octobertime. 

Definitely busted around xmas. I walked up there to check if fixed and when I got there, found I'd forgotten my key so couldn't check. Decided to take a chance and took the boat up from Bedwyn anyway only to find it not working. BUGGER! A whole day wasted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Definitely busted around xmas. I walked up there to check if fixed and when I got there, found I'd forgotten my key so couldn't check. Decided to take a chance and took the boat up from Bedwyn anyway only to find it not working. BUGGER! A whole day wasted.

I can't believe you havn't got the kit onboard to relieve a CRT tap of its uselessness, I find fixing leaks and replacing worn seals one of my CRT(unofficial) Friends warm feeling moments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I can't believe you havn't got the kit onboard to relieve a CRT tap of its uselessness, I find fixing leaks and replacing worn seals one of my CRT(unofficial) Friends warm feeling moments.

 

I have. There was no water supply to it!!

Isolated somewhere remotely, probably inside the closed Crofton Museum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, KenM said:

Update. I took a walk up to Blakes lock yesterday to see if it was nearly finished - er no its not! The EA are going to have be busy to get this open in the next month! Currently de-gated both ends and brick lining all removed. 

DSC_0732.JPG

 

Blimey this could really mess up the Devizes to Westminster canoe marathon race, usually held at the end of March!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of kayaks already down on the Thames practicing. I will ask the next one I see how they are getting round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kremmen said:

Lots of kayaks already down on the Thames practicing. I will ask the next one I see how they are getting round.

 

I heard they are finishing the race at the prison loop this year if the lock is still closed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

Blimey this could really mess up the Devizes to Westminster canoe marathon race, usually held at the end of March!

I hope they aren't using the same mortar as the CRT contractors have been using this winter, Braunston lock( as was Filance lock) was absolutely pouring from the lock walls at the newly bricked sections today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kremmen said:

Lots of kayaks already down on the Thames practicing. I will ask the next one I see how they are getting round.

The Devizes to Westminster race portage around the locks anyway so it wont effect the race. More the point though - I wanted to be off the K&A before the race ( 30th March)  Speeding kayaks going past continuously for 24 hours is no joke. Spectators tend to regard moored boats as grand stands too :-p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2017 at 11:32, Mike the Boilerman said:

Missing my point.

I don't get emails about ANY published scheduled stoppages, only the unscheduled ones. And Blakes Lock IS on the published scheduled CRT list but no email about it.

For the one waterway I still have them turned on for permanently (Grand Union), I seem to get mails about all stoppages, not just emergency ones.

However, if I think about it, I probably get them when a stoppage is notified,not when it is due to start.

I have also recently had some notifying me that planned stoppages have ended early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2017 at 16:48, Mike the Boilerman said:

We too met a boater at Newbury yesterday who expressed surprise that Reading was only a couple of days away. He was imagining three weeks...

He was using the "Clarrie" system. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/02/2018 at 00:23, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

Lol, I caught one!!

I think the portage point is on the left above the lock as you come downstream. If they had to portage past the lock there might be a problem as it is effectively a building site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2018 at 09:55, KenM said:

Update. I took a walk up to Blakes lock yesterday to see if it was nearly finished - er no its not! The EA are going to have be busy to get this open in the next month! Currently de-gated both ends and brick lining all removed. 

DSC_0732.JPG

Walked past the lock this morning and it still looks pretty much as your photo. Lots of workers beavering about but still a building site. Was tempted to ask them how it was going when I read the notice saying it would be completed 'mid March'....

Not a boater myself, just registered to make the comment.

 

  • Horror 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, davews said:

Walked past the lock this morning and it still looks pretty much as your photo. Lots of workers beavering about but still a building site. Was tempted to ask them how it was going when I read the notice saying it would be completed 'mid March'....

Not a boater myself, just registered to make the comment.

 

Three days to go then :D

.............Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, davews said:

Walked past the lock this morning and it still looks pretty much as your photo. Lots of workers beavering about but still a building site. Was tempted to ask them how it was going when I read the notice saying it would be completed 'mid March'....

Not a boater myself, just registered to make the comment.

 

Thanks for your input :cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, davews said:

Walked past the lock this morning and it still looks pretty much as your photo. Lots of workers beavering about but still a building site. Was tempted to ask them how it was going when I read the notice saying it would be completed 'mid March'....

Not a boater myself, just registered to make the comment.

 

Just seen this post from davews. Welcome to the forum and thank you for your post. We are awaiting the opening of this lock, seems unlikely that it will be open and operational by 23rd March.

Getting information from EA seems like blood from a stone syndrome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.