Blake's lock closing for 5 months'

kremmen

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Looks like our release date from K&A prison may be delayed then. No mention of extended closure yet!

Weather at Kintbury is frost on the ground and clear skies and sunshine all around.

This has not bothered me before on this canal, but as far as I can see there's no fresh water supply between Kintbury and Aldermaston. Coming the 'other way' we asked at Greenham island, when getting Diesel and a pumpout, but we declined his offer of £5 for water. Online there's a tap symbol indicating water in the marina with the drydock where Bill Fisher used to own and live. Any other ideas.

Cheeky sods!! its not like you hadnt bought owt is it :(

19 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Its beautiful and sunny here today again :D

Yes, lovely here in East Kent, but blooming cold!  I was wondering if they have works to do that are dependent on warmer temperatures?  Our forecast is for the coldest part of this spell to arrive next Wednesday.

19 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Its beautiful and sunny here today again :D

Yes, lovely here in East Kent, but blooming cold!  I was wondering if they have works to do that are dependent on warmer temperatures?  Our forecast is for the coldest part of this spell to arrive next Wednesday.

51 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Turn around and fill up at Hungerford. That's about it. 

Very few water taps this end of the K&A. Crofton tap is still not working after about a year. 

Must have broken again. We got water there in Octobertime. 

3 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Must have broken again. We got water there in Octobertime. 

Definitely busted around xmas. I walked up there to check if fixed and when I got there, found I'd forgotten my key so couldn't check. Decided to take a chance and took the boat up from Bedwyn anyway only to find it not working. BUGGER! A whole day wasted.

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Definitely busted around xmas. I walked up there to check if fixed and when I got there, found I'd forgotten my key so couldn't check. Decided to take a chance and took the boat up from Bedwyn anyway only to find it not working. BUGGER! A whole day wasted.

I can't believe you havn't got the kit onboard to relieve a CRT tap of its uselessness, I find fixing leaks and replacing worn seals one of my CRT(unofficial) Friends warm feeling moments.

34 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I can't believe you havn't got the kit onboard to relieve a CRT tap of its uselessness, I find fixing leaks and replacing worn seals one of my CRT(unofficial) Friends warm feeling moments.

I have. There was no water supply to it!!

Isolated somewhere remotely, probably inside the closed Crofton Museum. 

10 hours ago, KenM said:

Update. I took a walk up to Blakes lock yesterday to see if it was nearly finished - er no its not! The EA are going to have be busy to get this open in the next month! Currently de-gated both ends and brick lining all removed. 

DSC_0732.JPG

Blimey this could really mess up the Devizes to Westminster canoe marathon race, usually held at the end of March!

37 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Blimey this could really mess up the Devizes to Westminster canoe marathon race, usually held at the end of March!

I hope they aren't using the same mortar as the CRT contractors have been using this winter, Braunston lock( as was Filance lock) was absolutely pouring from the lock walls at the newly bricked sections today

2 hours ago, kremmen said:

Lots of kayaks already down on the Thames practicing. I will ask the next one I see how they are getting round.

The Devizes to Westminster race portage around the locks anyway so it wont effect the race. More the point though - I wanted to be off the K&A before the race ( 30th March)  Speeding kayaks going past continuously for 24 hours is no joke. Spectators tend to regard moored boats as grand stands too :-p

On 10/15/2017 at 11:32, Mike the Boilerman said:

Missing my point.

I don't get emails about ANY published scheduled stoppages, only the unscheduled ones. And Blakes Lock IS on the published scheduled CRT list but no email about it.

For the one waterway I still have them turned on for permanently (Grand Union), I seem to get mails about all stoppages, not just emergency ones.

However, if I think about it, I probably get them when a stoppage is notified,not when it is due to start.

I have also recently had some notifying me that planned stoppages have ended early.

On 25/02/2018 at 00:23, Mike the Boilerman said:

Lol, I caught one!!

I think the portage point is on the left above the lock as you come downstream. If they had to portage past the lock there might be a problem as it is effectively a building site.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2018 at 09:55, KenM said:

Update. I took a walk up to Blakes lock yesterday to see if it was nearly finished - er no its not! The EA are going to have be busy to get this open in the next month! Currently de-gated both ends and brick lining all removed. 

DSC_0732.JPG

Walked past the lock this morning and it still looks pretty much as your photo. Lots of workers beavering about but still a building site. Was tempted to ask them how it was going when I read the notice saying it would be completed 'mid March'....

Not a boater myself, just registered to make the comment.

• Horror 1

3 minutes ago, davews said:

Walked past the lock this morning and it still looks pretty much as your photo. Lots of workers beavering about but still a building site. Was tempted to ask them how it was going when I read the notice saying it would be completed 'mid March'....

Three days to go then :D

.............Dave

4 minutes ago, davews said:

Thanks for your input :cheers:

4 hours ago, davews said:

Just seen this post from davews. Welcome to the forum and thank you for your post. We are awaiting the opening of this lock, seems unlikely that it will be open and operational by 23rd March.

Getting information from EA seems like blood from a stone syndrome.