miq

Featured Posts

We have a serious problem with wild ducks using the top of our boat as a toilet, as we moor under a tree on the main river channel. The boats either side of us do not seem to have a problem so it might be that the ducks like our particular shade of green, or it could be because they use covers which stretch right across the boat! We are reluctant to use heavy covers as some of the people who use the boat would have difficulty removing them, but we have seen a product called 'scare tape' (no not duct tape) which claims to keep the blighters off by rattling in the wind and reflecting the light from it's holographic surface.

Has anyone any experience of this tape , does it work? does it last long enough to be effective? we'd love to hear from you if you know. 

Or it could be the tree is low enough to give them some cover so they like resting/roosting on your boat. I think that if it were mine a morning with a saw would be beckoning.

I am having the same problem with seagulls. In my case removable bird spikes will soon be fitted above the cratch.

String up a line of old CDs if you can scrounge enough. Cheaper than buying tape.

Edited by Tony Brooks

We have a similar problem with ducks "overnighting" on the paving adjacent to the bank of our end of garden mooring.

Nothing deters them, even letting our GSD chase them off at regular intervals. They just keep coming back and tormenting the poor dog.

• Greenie 1

• 2 months later...

Same on our pontoon. The pesks roost on the outward end and crap everywhere. When i moor up i have to kneel in it to get to the pontoon ring, and since i,ve worn shorts its making my knee hair grow like feathers. I tried kids windmills and bright eyed doggy squeekies, but these just amuse them through the long nights and annoy my neighbour's ducks. I could try some of that sticky rat glue but having legless ducks as well as legless neighbours maybe too much. ideas please.?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BWM said:

ig5102000_1.jpg

Haha! . I missed the most obvious !  Lights out m,ducks !   But i,d probably miss the blighters in the dark and blast my electric hookup bollard to smithereens. Lights out for me !

• Haha 1

When seagulls crapping on boats moored opposite the hire base my boss had a knack of shooting one with an air rifle. That produced loud alarm calls at which all the gulls from 100s of yards all round used to fly away and what's more stay away for a month or two. Can you get recordings of duck alarm calls and play them loudly?

10 hours ago, Bloomsberry said:

I used a recording of bird distress calls off youtube to get rid of noisy starlings on the roof of my house.

Not sure if you're neighbours will appreciate it though !

What's a ducks distress call sound like ?  " QUUAAAKK !!!"  as opposed to normal " quak quak" ?

Strange put french ducks say "quan quan".  Maybe i,ve got european french immigrant ducks, i must try it in Frog ! 

On 10/11/2017 at 22:41, miq said:

We have a serious problem with wild ducks using the top of our boat as a toilet, as we moor under a tree on the main river channel. The boats either side of us do not seem to have a problem so it might be that the ducks like our particular shade of green, or it could be because they use covers which stretch right across the boat! We are reluctant to use heavy covers as some of the people who use the boat would have difficulty removing them, but we have seen a product called 'scare tape' (no not duct tape) which claims to keep the blighters off by rattling in the wind and reflecting the light from it's holographic surface.

Has anyone any experience of this tape , does it work? does it last long enough to be effective? we'd love to hear from you if you know. 

Townie Tw@

Edited by Mutts
NONE