Plagued by unsolicited emails!

jenevers

Featured Posts

Prevention is better than cure.

Get into the habit of never putting your email somewhere public like in a forum or classified ad where it can be trawled by bots and scrotes.

Don't be mug enough to fall for "Click Bait" like "Give us your feedback on TV Licensing funding the BBC, a random entry will win a Range Rover in x weeks time." 

Of course they want your email address, how else would they contact you to find out where to deliver it? Guess what there is no prize for you, they just sell your address.

If you can't get out of the habit, then create another email account which you only use for such dodgy enterprises.

Three email accounts with different providers:

#1  Only for friends and family

#2  For 'proper' commercial dealings and trustworthy forums

#3  For everybody else

#1 Keeps nice and clean, I never get spam in this account,  #2 gets a dozen spam messages a week,  #3 gets mercilessly spammed on a daily basis, but I hardly ever look at it, I have rules set up to regularly delete stuff and there is rarely anything important in there to read anyway.

What I do find interesting is how soon after you enter your email on a site a new spam campaign hits, sometimes it can be less than 24 hours!!

16 hours ago, jenevers said:

Am I right in thinking that if I send these emails to the “ junk” file (aol) they’ll be filtered out in future and not appear in my “inbox”?

They will if you use Thunderbird. It 'learns' and is very good at flagging up spam. Junk emails still appear in your inbox but you simply 'delete junk' and they are gone.

1 hour ago, jenevers said:

Thanks all, but I can’t believe AOL doesn’t have a system to filter out repeat junk emails. Just thought someone might know what I need to do to trigger it.

Not all spam solutions are good. Outlook.com is very poor for instance whilst Microsoft Exchange (paid for) is excellent. Not are what AOL is these days, it certainly is not the internet force to once was.

17 hours ago, jenevers said:

What’s Thunderbird? Can it be used with aol?

Yes it can. Thunderbird is an email client (program that sends and receives email) developed by Mozilla - the same people who do the Firefox web browser. It is free to download and easy to set up, and works with a standard email address (mine is a @btconnect.com one).

You can download it here: Thunderbird linky

18 hours ago, jenevers said:

What’s Thunderbird? Can it be used with aol?

I have used Thunderbird email client for many years, first in my job and then at home. It does have funny turns now and again but can be sorted easily. A lot less messing about than webmail if you do not need to access somebody else's computer for email. Main thing is,it's free!

4 hours ago, mross said:

Have you set up spam blocking on AOL?  see here https://help.aol.co.uk/articles/aol-mail-spam-and-privacy

I’ve got this up but I can’t find the space where my “user name” is supposed to be on the aol email page. Am I looking for it in the wrong place???

Blocking and Unblocking Email Addresses

How do I block Spam in AOL Mail?

To block unwanted spam, your Spam filter must be turned on. Once it's turned on, you can adjust your Spam filter settings to block or allow mail.

Note: Your Spam filter is turned on by default.

To adjust your spam settings:

1. In the upper right, below your Username, click Options and then click Mail Settings.

aol_mail_refresh_mail_settings.jpg
2 hours ago, billh said:

I have used Thunderbird email client for many years, first in my job and then at home. It does have funny turns now and again but can be sorted easily. A lot less messing about than webmail if you do not need to access somebody else's computer for email. Main thing is,it's free!

4 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Yes it can. Thunderbird is an email client (program that sends and receives email) developed by Mozilla - the same people who do the Firefox web browser. It is free to download and easy to set up, and works with a standard email address (mine is a @btconnect.com one).

You can download it here: Thunderbird linky

I tried to download Thunderbird but got this

“Your system doesn't meet the requirements to run Thunderbird.”

is that because I’ve got an iPad air2?

33 minutes ago, jenevers said:

is that because I’ve got an iPad air2?

yes, there is no version for iOS, the apple operating system.  Bt I think you should 'fix' AOL first, as this is what you are used to.

Edited by mross

On 11/10/2017 at 17:57, jenevers said:

Am I right in thinking that if I send these emails to the “ junk” file (aol) they’ll be filtered out in future and not appear in my “inbox”?

They should be. Spam is big business but a good email service will have good spam filtering their end but no matter how good they cannot stop everything. Therefore some will get through to you so by sending them tiothe junk/spam mail folder it should help educate the spam filters for the future. It will never be 100%