Bmc1.8 headertank end caps

Featured Posts

Hi ive just had to replace yet another end cap, so far one every year, the exhaust has lagging round but is very close to the cap therefore softens the cap by heat. Question, has anyone devised a method of extending the headertank fitting to move the cap further away. Possibly find a company to 'weld' extention, is is possible? Cheers

Are you using Polar or Bowman end caps.

If Polar, then switch to Bowman, which, despite slight small diameter difference can easily be persuaded to fit.

Bowman are far cheaper, and far, far more long lasting.

If n the other hand you are already using Bowman, I can't really help, but are you using a pressure cap that has too high a value?  Anything more than 7 PSI will help damage them - less is better, IMO.

Hi Alan thanks for your reply, I'm using the bowman caps I bought from you, they are better and seem  better made, cap is 7 psi will try lower psi. Just wondered if would be possible to extend the neck where the rubber cap fits, I'll investigate and report back on the forum IF I manage to come up with something, all seems a very bad design of exhaust so near. Cheers

4 hours ago, oats said:

Hi Alan thanks for your reply, I'm using the bowman caps I bought from you, they are better and seem  better made, cap is 7 psi will try lower psi. Just wondered if would be possible to extend the neck where the rubber cap fits, I'll investigate and report back on the forum IF I manage to come up with something, all seems a very bad design of exhaust so near. Cheers

Forgot it was you I sold them to!

I never had issue with exhaust being close and over-heating them.  My ballooning / splitting problems were based on pressure alone, and cured by the switch from Polar to Bowman.

Cam't help then - it might be necessary to go the route Tony suggests, I think.

In fact if you made thick close cell foam gaskets all you may need to do is get a long length of stainless studding, drill a couple of thick steel discs and use the studding right through the tank to hold the plates and gaskets in place. apart from cutting the plates a DIY job. We have a local steel stockist who would happily cut a couple of squares off the end of a bar (at a price) so if squares would do it would just be drilling the plates.