Yank - Llangollen Canal Questions

tipton1947

Featured Posts

20 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Stayed at the Chainbridge Hotel a couple of weeks ago, it has a bar overlooking the river which makes a good stop on the walk to/from the falls.

Yes it is in a lovely location.

I would have popped in for a quick one if I didn't have the dog with me.

4 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

There is a big balcony where I am sure you could have left the dog!

tim

That dog used to howl if left!

When we took him shopping when on the boat, he would howl even if only one of us had gone into the shop and the other stated with him.

He was ok when left alone on the boat though, say whilst we had a meal.

I think he felt insecure off the boat in case he got left behind, although that didn't stop him getting off the boat and taking himself for a walk on the towpath whilst we negotiated the narrow sections into Llangollen.

The present dog likes to bark at all the other dogs on the towpath, and would get off to chase them given the opportunity, so has to stay inside.

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Hudd's Lad and I must walk very slowly then. :D

Its the "dog factor", constantly pausing to sniff, re-sniff, then sniff once more for good measure. Plus pictures were taken, fish were looked at in the surprisingly clear water, beer in the hotel was contemplated but given up on due to needing to return to the boat and the in-laws and head off for food in Llangollen.

Edited by Hudds Lad
delete duplicate

4 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

It is less than two miles from Llangollen to Horseshoe Falls (The sign says 1 3/4 Miles)

Tim

just checked the log on the Garmin, from the mooring at the back of the basin to the falls was 1.7miles

I blame the wife, the offspring & the dog for our slow speed :D

27 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

just checked the log on the Garmin, from the mooring at the back of the basin to the falls was 1.7miles

I blame the wife, the offspring & the dog for our slow speed :D

Wow, I wonder why I took so long.

Is it coz I'm gettin' old? 

11 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Several reasons why not to walk, the most compelling of which is that the OP wishes to spend two nights and a full day in Llangollen. 

Fair call MP.  However, to clarify, I read his original post as him being worried about getting a mooring in Llangollen t that time of year and that a 2 night stay might not fit too well into his tight schedule. Hence why I offered an alternative which could still provide his full day in Llangollen, whilst saving a couple of half days getting there and Bach from Trevor.  It's only a consideration - doesn't trouble me how he gets there or what he does as long as he's had the opportunity to consider the options. :)

(Auto correct changed my 'back' above to its own preference of 'Bach'. I thought, given the location, it was probably right!)

11 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Edited by Sea Dog
Delete multiple posts

21 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

There is a big balcony where I am sure you could have left the dog!

tim

We had a drink there and admired the restored bridge - the dog just had water and looked bored.