What do you wish I already knew?

Featured Posts

For many years we have dreamed of renting a canal boat, and just maybe, in June 2018, we will be able to do just that with family and friends (6 in total probably).  Thinking of Llangollen canal, of course!

We are reasonably quick learners, can watch You Tubes of how to manage the boat, and will listen carefully at the orientation lesson.  We are mechanically savvy and despite being Americans, we always want to be polite, but we don't know the canal boat world, its culture and traditions.  Please help us and your fellow boaters with some pointers.  

What it is that you wish that total beginners would do, or not do, say or not say, or what should we understand before we get out there and annoy everyone with our ignorance?  When you see a boat full of beginners, what are the signs that make you grit your teeth and prepare for the worst?  What is that "worst"?

All advice welcome - you will be doing us and the canal world a big favor.  Horror stories are good tools for learning....thanks!

welcome, not many folks about, its 1.00 am here :)

Boats pass port to port, and Americans are very welcome , no worries.

The Nicholson Guide should be of interest: the four counties and welsh canals [Kindle]

Edited by LadyG

On 10/10/2017 at 01:05, dccruiser said:

Easy really ... simplest things are to slow down when passing moored boats, try not to hit anyone and just have lots of fun and enjoy the experience. ... oh and welcome!

Yes this. Passing moored boats at normal speed means they get shoved around quite unpleasantly for those inside. 

And slowing down means slowing down a couple of boat lengths before you get to the moored boat(s).  You'll understand why when the first time you are moored up another boat hacks past you at full chat without slowing down!

On 10/10/2017 at 01:15, American boater newbie said:

Thanks to all and especially Mike - do you accept prepayment in depreciating USD? :giggles:

No but I accept payment by PrayPal and give 20% discount for payment in advance.

Just tot up the number of locks you plan to pass through, multiply by ten and deduct 20% (x0.8). Now send it to me by praypal and I'll send you your permit. Produce it to anyone challenging you as you pass through those locks.

Any problems, contact me in the Seychelles...

• Haha 1

From the consideration expressed in your post, I strongly suspect that the Llangollen boaters have little to be afraid of from your visit.

It's a wonderful canal. Try not to cram too much distance into your visit, but rather take time and enjoy the journey.

Have a terrific time.

Rog

Welcome

Take it all gently and steadily. You'll have a wonderful time there. When you are in Llangollen consider having a pint or two in the old mill overlooking the Dee; take  the steam train to Corwen, wander up the hill if it's fine to the castle ruins overlooking the town and possibly stroll up to the Horseshoe falls along the feeder canal.

As Mike now seems to have moved to the Seychelles i understand all lock fee payments can be passed to any pub landlord along your route but be aware that your receipt will be in the form of beer served at room temperature.

My tip is more a personal preference for me but hire a boat that is big enough to take you all without having to convert the table to a bed every night. It's a pain to do and inevitably the people using that bed want to go to bed first and get up last!

When I see novices struggling to handle a boat it is generally because they have failed to realise that the back of the boat will go to the left as you turn right and vice versa, and one final tip is if in doubt slow down then of you hit anything it won't hurt!

Welcome to England / Wales and bring your wet weather gear, it rains over here!

Edited by NickF

Pre boat steering practice can be had on dry land. Commandeer a rear wheel steered dumper truck and drive it around awkward obstacles. Or alternatively, drive your car in reverse everywhere for six months. If the tyres are let down by about half the vehicle should emulate a boat wallowing. Hope this helps. :closedeyes:

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, American boater newbie said:

....... and despite being Americans, we always want to be polite,

I dunno what that implies, but I have always found that Americans abroad are, almost without exception, exceedingly polite to the point of embarrassment on my part.  I often feel like telling them to loosen up a little.

.................. now Canadians are a different kettle of fish entirely, but perhaps they are short-sighted and are always wary of the possibility of bears in their vicinity.

16 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

I dunno what that implies, but I have always found that Americans abroad are, almost without exception, exceedingly polite to the point of embarrassment on my part.  I often feel like telling them to loosen up a little.

.................. now Canadians are a different kettle of fish entirely, but perhaps they are short-sighted and are always wary of the possibility of bears in their vicinity.

And don't get me onto the ruskies.

Neil

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

So when their Sat Nav says "Bear to the left", no doubt you'll see them take the first available right turn at top speed.

My experience (fairly limited) of Americans abroad is similar to yours - indeed American Boater's statement proved the point.

What a good question.

You can learn the basics from any number of sources and it sounds like you will, unlike many first time hirers, do a fair bit of research before your trip. 

But you're asking what really annoys experienced boaters.  

I think at the top of many people's list would be not telling oncoming boats if there is another boat following you close behind.  This as much as anything marks you as a complete novice.  It's important that whenever you emerge from a bridge, or a tight bend, if there's a boat coming the other way you warn them if there is a boat behind you. What the oncoming boat chooses to do is up to them but at least you have done your bit.

Another "Wally" thing (you know what a "Wally" is in the UK?) is mooring in winding holes or opposite boatyard/marina entrances.  Quite often there is a sign to warn you off but you'd be surprised how often these are ignored.  (In fact on the Trent & Mersey canal, wherever you see a no mooring sign you can bet there will be one of those "Canaltime" boats tied up in front of it.)

Another thing that really winds me up is when you get to a busy lock, ie where several boats are waiting in a queue, a boat seems to take ages to emerge from the lock after the gates are opened.  But this isn't a novice thing, it's common among so called experienced boaters and I just think it's plain inconsiderate.  Someone will be along in a minute to say oh you shouldn't be in a hurry on the canals and that's also really annoying...     

16 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

What a good question.

You can learn the basics from any number of sources and it sounds like you will, unlike many first time hirers, do a fair bit of research before your trip. 

But you're asking what really annoys experienced boaters.  

I think at the top of many people's list would be not telling oncoming boats if there is another boat following you close behind.  This as much as anything marks you as a complete novice.  It's important that whenever you emerge from a bridge, or a tight bend, if there's a boat coming the other way you warn them if there is a boat behind you. What the oncoming boat chooses to do is up to them but at least you have done your bit.

Another "Wally" thing (you know what a "Wally" is in the UK?) is mooring in winding holes or opposite boatyard/marina entrances.  Quite often there is a sign to warn you off but you'd be surprised how often these are ignored.  (In fact on the Trent & Mersey canal, wherever you see a no mooring sign you can bet there will be one of those "Canaltime" boats tied up in front of it.)

Another thing that really winds me up is when you get to a busy lock, ie where several boats are waiting in a queue, a boat seems to take ages to emerge from the lock after the gates are opened.  But this isn't a novice thing, it's common among so called experienced boaters and I just think it's plain inconsiderate.  Someone will be along in a minute to say oh you shouldn't be in a hurry on the canals and that's also really annoying...     

Good advice throughout - but not being in a hurry does not rule out quick, efficient lock working especially if there's a queue.

...which reminds me of two basic points of etiquette:

- Do join in and help with lock work rather than just sitting back and watching other people do it.

- Do always acknowledge other boats which you pass, usually with a cheery wave. You'll find that the people in the other boats will do the same to you. It helps to promote a friendly atmosphere on the canals.

Another when at locks, Don't assume that the lock is yours just because you got there first. If for instance you are going up and the lock is full, and there is a boat approaching coming down hill open the gate and let him in rather than emptying the lock with no boat in it and coming up yourself.

Always use locks as an opportunity for a chat, you might find out something interesting from somebody just coming away from where you are heading to. 

What a joy to wake up to all these helpful, kind, funny and practical answers.  To summarize so far (in no particular order)

1. Slow down, especially when passing moored boats.  Slow down to enjoy the canal.  Slow down (this is my goal for the trip)

2. Read the Nicholson guide (downloaded and read it last night)

3. Don't waste the water in the locks by emptying without a boat in it, unless there is no-one in sight

4. Don't moor in places where others need to go - such as water stops, winding holes

5. Take turns at bridges and tunnels (notify waiting boats if you have a boat immediately following)

6. Be prepared for some humiliation on keeping the boat going straight (I've read the zigzag thread)

7. Do the homework - watch the canal trust videos https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/a-guide-to-boating/boaters-handbook (done)

8. Learn how to use and protect the locks - paddles etc.

9. "Drive" on the right

10.  Pay Mike the Boilerman 10 Pounds per lock + 20% VAT and hope that he buys everyone some warm beer when he gets back from the Seychelles

Thanks again - can't wait to get out there in June 2018.  We'll warn you before we get going :captain:

• Greenie 4