Fuel on Shropshire Union

Bewildered

Featured Posts

We are heading south on the Shropshire Union and need to fuel up. As I recal the garage at Wheaton Aston used to be one of the cheapest places on the cut for diesel, however someone recently told me that the services at Norbury Junction are selling diesel at the same price. As we need to fuel up fairly soon (1/6 of a tank remaining) I was wondering if anyone had any local knowledge of current fuel prices. We really don't want to let the tank get much lower and start sucking the crap up out of the bottom of it, on the other hand we don't want to pay more than we have to for fuel.

also does the garage at Wheaton Aston also sell gas and coal? As far as I remember it was only a diesel pump but I could be wrong

I think Norbury are always more expensive but its usually only 0.1p. There is a story, possibly even true, that they phone each other every morning to set this price difference.

Turners: cheapest diesel on the cut

Norbury: cheapest diesel at a boatyard on the cut

Hawne Basin    even cheaper :D

............Dave

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

I think Norbury are always more expensive but its usually only 0.1p

This was exactly what I found last month. I bought at Turners, They allow any split with minimum formality. I think the base price was 58.9 per litre.

40 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

We are heading south on the Shropshire Union and need to fuel up. As I recal the garage at Wheaton Aston used to be one of the cheapest places on the cut for diesel, however someone recently told me that the services at Norbury Junction are selling diesel at the same price. As we need to fuel up fairly soon (1/6 of a tank remaining) I was wondering if anyone had any local knowledge of current fuel prices. We really don't want to let the tank get much lower and start sucking the crap up out of the bottom of it, on the other hand we don't want to pay more than we have to for fuel.

also does the garage at Wheaton Aston also sell gas and coal? As far as I remember it was only a diesel pump but I could be wrong

I am some what confused  surely the take off pipe in the fuel tank is always in the same position so will be drawing fuel at the same height so if the tank is full or only a few litres left it will draw till the fuel drops below the take of point & dependant on the quantity of "Crap" in the tank will either draw it to the motor or not no matter the amount  of fuel in the tank, the " crap" will always be at the bottom. If you think/know thetank has dirt/ water in the bottom I would humbly suggest a tank cleaning ASAP

18 minutes ago, philjw said:

This was exactly what I found last month. I bought at Turners, They allow any split with minimum formality. I think the base price was 58.9 per litre.

That's correct see http://diesel.fibrefactory.co.uk/ but please send them the latest information you have

1 hour ago, X Alan W said:

I am some what confused  surely the take off pipe in the fuel tank is always in the same position so will be drawing fuel at the same height so if the tank is full or only a few litres left it will draw till the fuel drops below the take of point & dependant on the quantity of "Crap" in the tank will either draw it to the motor or not no matter the amount  of fuel in the tank, the " crap" will always be at the bottom. If you think/know thetank has dirt/ water in the bottom I would humbly suggest a tank cleaning ASAP

True except that when you get down towards the last couple of inches, any rocking of the boat is more likely to disturb any gunk lying on the bottom which would not normally be in range of the take off pipe. Of course re-fueling is just as likely to stir up the bottom of a nearly empty tank.

springy

4 hours ago, philjw said:

Last time I bought there I was greeted with a long and detailed argument suggesting that a 60:40 split was a gross indulgence to the taxman and that only the independently wealthy (which I was obviously not) would suggest such a thing. I wouldn't describe it as 'formal' but it was long.

2 hours ago, frahkn said:

Last time I bought there I was greeted with a long and detailed argument suggesting that a 60:40 split was a gross indulgence to the taxman and that only the independently wealthy (which I was obviously not) would suggest such a thing. I wouldn't describe it as 'formal' but it was long.

When I filled up I was handed the clipboard to put my split on and noticed that the majority of boaters before me had booked a 90/10 split so I did the same.

On 09/10/2017 at 14:41, frahkn said:

He's just a nice chatty guy! 

On 09/10/2017 at 09:29, Bewildered said:

Last week Turners were 58.9p/l  and Norbury were 59.0p/l.   

As the difference is only 10p per 100 litres I think I will fill up at Norbury rather than wait until Turners. I wouldn't usually let the tank get this low but we have just done the Llangollen canal and with a 28" draft I wanted the arse end a light as possible to lower the risk of grounding out in the shallows. As it turns out the only place we scraped the bottom was about 1/2 mile or so out from Trevor.

On 10/9/2017 at 17:24, Pie Eater said:

When I filled up I was handed the clipboard to put my split on and noticed that the majority of boaters before me had booked a 90/10 split so I did the same.

I thought that the often quoted '60/40' split as suggested by HMRC was supposed to be 60% propulsion/40% heating.  So presumably the low split should be 10/90?

11 hours ago, Bewildered said:

As the difference is only 10p per 100 litres I think I will fill up at Norbury rather than wait until Turners. I wouldn't usually let the tank get this low but we have just done the Llangollen canal and with a 28" draft I wanted the arse end a light as possible to lower the risk of grounding out in the shallows. As it turns out the only place we scraped the bottom was about 1/2 mile or so out from Trevor.

At Norbury now. Price is 65p/l

MP.