Any idea what these are?

Peter Thornton

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Many will remember a strange scheme by BW quite a few years ago to put 3 square bollards at everynarrow lock, and this is one of the more extreme examples of that all going very badly wrong!

They are very similar to these, but the Leeds Liverpool is very stingy with moorings and I can’t believe they’d give us a mile or so!

I understand they were put in simply as a set of markers between the wide grass path and the canal side. Every so often a  gang mower drives along this path to cut the grass. 

Some have been burnt away over the years by folks having small campfires around them. This is public open land  but I believe it is local authority land and not belonging to the Canal and River Trust.

Edited by Peter-Bullfinch

Probably well wide of the mark but back in my delivery of piles contract days I remember a stretch where they couldn't keep the dredging behind the piling so they (BW) drove in some posts & planks to contain the dredgings to keep the side level & contained

8 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

150 years ago this was the site of the Lancashire coracle racing mile course. Obviously the remains of what is left of the main grandstand. I think I read Lancashire used to whoop Yorkshire on an annual basis?

Where is Lancashire?

Possibly some form of bank stabilisation because of possible subsidence. They would also keep any vehicles away from the canal edge which, despite being concrete, is probably a bit unstable. The banks will have been raised because of subsidence, so may not have sufficient/suitable ties back into the ground behind to make then completely stable.

54 minutes ago, cuthound said:

1954 for me, then moved to Surrey when I was eight, then to Staffordshire when I was 60.

We moved about a bit. Seaforth,Huyton,Chorley,Leyland. Then Hampshire. Aldershot. London, Dorking.

Then I joined the Navy and went further afield.

21 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

We moved about a bit. Seaforth,Huyton,Chorley,Leyland. Then Hampshire. Aldershot. London, Dorking.

Then I joined the Navy and went further afield.

We lived in Huyton for 18 months in 1958/9 - I was 6. Just off Tarbuck Road.

9 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

We lived in Huyton for 18 months in 1958/9 - I was 6. Just off Tarbuck Road.

We are about the same age. I went to my first school there. Longview?  We lived near the Bus Terminal. Which I believe has now gone.

• Happy 1

9 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

We are about the same age. I went to my first school there. Longview?  We lived near the Bus Terminal. Which I believe has now gone.

Yes born in '52. I think you were the other side of Huyton. We then moved to West Kirby.