Historical engine - which engine gauges and why?

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

Truly wonderful but not really appropriate in a narrowboat and possible BSS issues if used on 240 volts  :D

.............Dave

Knife switches were usually used on dc systems, with the trailing edge of the knife being given sprung loaded so as not to draw an arc.

The ones I worked on were 50 volt DC, with knife switches rated at 600 amps and 1600 amps.

I would have thought the main BSS issue would be exposed live parts... Very common in the 70's to find open boards from 50 volts dc upto 11000 volts ac (albeit in a caged off "sub-station" to prevent unauthorised access.

Electrical safety has come on a long way in the last 45 years.

Yup,

They used to be quite common in the UK. Last one I saw liked that was 1985, but at least it was in a locked room.

It belonged to the then London Electricity Board!

Just for comparison, this is whst a modern 11,000 volt switchboard looks like.

hawker.jpg

Edited by cuthound

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Exactly, 

I was thinking of something like this in Mark99's engine room. 

natural-slate-control-panel.jpg

I have wanted to do something like that in an engine room for some time. It wouldn't be hard to use period parts on the outside and modern components inside a case

I have already fitted a modern stepper motor temperature gauge into an 80mm case with a printed dial to match a 1930s pressure gauge

Richard

4 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I have wanted to do something like that in an engine room for some time. It wouldn't be hard to use period parts on the outside and modern components inside a case

I have already fitted a modern stepper motor temperature gauge into an 80mm case with a printed dial to match a 1930s pressure gauge

Richard

Yes, if you could source an old board like the one in the photo it could be attached (but not connected) to the door of a cupboard housing the modern electrical gear.

Best of both worlds.

20 minutes ago, dpaws said:

If you look very closely at the knife switch image I posted you'll notice that it's fake - there's a modern switch under there being operated by a 3D printed resin handle and contacts that have been painted up... :detective:

https://makezine.com/2015/08/21/upgrade-evil-lair-with-3d-printed-frankenstein-knife-switches/

Nice one!  With all this lovely steampunk stuff about I have wondered how they manage to find so much lovely antique stuff, or how much is modern re-creation.

............Dave

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Knife switches were usually used on dc systems, with the trailing edge of the knife being given sprung loaded so as not to draw an arc.

The ones I worked on were 50 volt DC, with knife switches rated at 600 amps and 1600 amps.

I would have thought the main BSS issue would be exposed live parts... Very common in the 70's to find open boards from 50 volts dc upto 11000 volts ac (albeit in a caged off "sub-station" to prevent unauthorised access.

Electrical safety has come on a long way in the last 45 years.

I did know that but couldn't resist. A friend at work kept one on his desk as a de-stresser, the lovely way the spring suddenly opens the switch is just so pleasing.

I was told a story about a power station with exposed parallel bus bars just bolted to a brick wall, and the forces during a short circuit were so great that they pulled the wall down, probably an electrical urban myth but still a good one.

..............Dave

1 minute ago, dmr said:

I did know that but couldn't resist. A friend at work kept one on his desk as a de-stresser, the lovely way the spring suddenly opens the switch is just so pleasing.

I was told a story about a power station with exposed parallel bus bars just bolted to a brick wall, and the forces during a short circuit were so great that they pulled the wall down, probably an electrical urban myth but still a good one.

..............Dave

Maybe not an urban myth.

I saw a slow motion film of the main busbars of a large 6000 amp LV switchboard when it was subjected to a 50kA fault.

Despite the busbars being securely clamped to the frame of the switchboard (3mm thick mild steel) the busbars flapped about like a piece of paper tied to a desk fan.

On 7 October 2017 at 10:56, Laurie.Booth said:

This is a view of my instruments I have on Clarrie.

I wish I knew what they mean, but I'm sure someone on the forum will explain them to me.

:)

• The one on the left says you're on the plane
  • The one on the right says you're approaching Spain
  • Top Left says you're out of oil
  • Top Right says it's going to boil
  • Lower Down shows you in a bank
  • no cash, no funds, just a blank
  • Lower still, shows boat list
  • Next along, says you're pissed.
  • Then the clock, time for some grub
  • The next points to nearest pub

• Greenie 2

49 minutes ago, dmr said:

Nice one!  With all this lovely steampunk stuff about I have wondered how they manage to find so much lovely antique stuff, or how much is modern re-creation.

............Dave

Sadly most of it's resin and painted... there are some gems out there, an anvil stove caught my eye (google will probably find that one)

This isn't steam punky, but still - would be nice to have on board http://findsminimodelhotbulbengines.dk/truedieselengine/2cylinderverticalaframe.html - could watch it running for hours!

18 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

My Austin 7 had a manual choke and on the steering wheel a lever to advance and retard the ignition.

Try explaining that to kids today. 

:)

austin-7_9939.jpg

Austin 7 eh? Brings back memories when my brother and I restored a couple of these. I recall that if the Adv/Retard lever was moved up and down fast one could occasionally get a spark sufficient to fire the engine.  Anyway nice piece of motor you have there.

8 hours ago, plainsman said:

Austin 7 eh? Brings back memories when my brother and I restored a couple of these. I recall that if the Adv/Retard lever was moved up and down fast one could occasionally get a spark sufficient to fire the engine.  Anyway nice piece of motor you have there.

Me as Clyde Barrow and with Bonnie Parker

boothcar_zpsc2537340.jpg