Oh dear

roland elsdon

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, Loddon said:

That may well be a local adaptation but all the definitions of barge I can find define a barge along the lines of:

a long flat-bottomed boat for carrying freight on canals and rivers, either under its own power or towed by another.

synonyms:lighter, canal boat, flatboat; narrowboat, wherry; scow

Not sure that Wherry should be on the list as flat bottomed they ain't.

Phil

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Nice pint though 

Very true, I was official taster at the restaurant that I worked for in the Broads, whenever a barrel was changed it was my onerous task to taste test a pint because the keeper od the cellar was a "Lager Boy" who was frightened he would taste something.

Phil

4 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Very true, I was official taster at the restaurant that I worked for in the Broads, whenever a barrel was changed it was my onerous task to taste test a pint because the keeper od the cellar was a "Lager Boy" who was frightened he would taste something.

Phil

It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it! 

13 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Not sure that Wherry should be on the list as flat bottomed they ain't.

Phil

In this case, they mean capable of sitting on mud. All coastal sailing boats could do this, though only a few in the south west were flat-bottomed, as per a narrow boat. All the others had conventional rounded chines.

7 minutes ago, Pluto said:

In this case, they mean capable of sitting on mud. All coastal sailing boats could do this, though only a few in the south west were flat-bottomed, as per a narrow boat. All the others had conventional rounded chines.

The Norfolk Wherry was not built to sit on mud.

Phil

10 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Phil

I met a barman like that in the pub at Blisworth, gave him my pint back and suggested he tries it as it was sour, but he was a fizzy drink kid as well and took it off on my say so.

Just now, Phil Ambrose said:

Hi Brian, check out my last post above yours.

Hope you are well, Phil

I reply as I go, it often catches me out.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

The Norfolk Wherry was not built to sit on mud.

Phil

That is certainly the case with Norfolk wherries over the last hundred years or so, but the Norfolk wherry evolved from Viking ships and ceols into coastal cargo boats and Norfolk keels, and then boats for loading and unloading ships waiting to enter Yarmouth, so earlier they would certainly have had to lie on the mud. The flat bottom required would have made them suitable for the shallow waters of the Broads as lands there were drained and water levels controlled.

21 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

That chap was walking a lot straighter than I was when alone on the strand. 

I think!, he walks up Wild Street onto Great Queen Street and lights up infont of the Masonic Hall. My parents ran a pub across the road from there. the Sugar Loaf. Now an Irish pub.

5 hours ago, Pluto said:

That is certainly the case with Norfolk wherries over the last hundred years or so, but the Norfolk wherry evolved from Viking ships and ceols into coastal cargo boats and Norfolk keels, and then boats for loading and unloading ships waiting to enter Yarmouth, so earlier they would certainly have had to lie on the mud. The flat bottom required would have made them suitable for the shallow waters of the Broads as lands there were drained and water levels controlled.

The Broads are nor particularly shallow and the land was not drained nor are the water levels controlled.

The Broads as such resulted from peat cutting and as the cutting proceeded the spent beds were allowed to flood to assist in moving the peat that had been cut.

Phil

10 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

That chap was walking a lot straighter than I was when alone on the strand. 

I think!, he walks up Wild Street onto Great Queen Street and lights up infont of the Masonic Hall. My parents ran a pub across the road from there. the Sugar Loaf. Now an Irish pub.

Wow

:)

On 10/8/2017 at 10:27, Loddon said:

That may well be a local adaptation but all the definitions of barge I can find define a barge along the lines of:

a long flat-bottomed boat for carrying freight on canals and rivers, either under its own power or towed by another.

synonyms:lighter, canal boat, flatboat; narrowboat, wherry; scow

Agree totally ... a lot of people know narrowboats as barges from the carrying days ... And obviously the film the bargee with harry h corbett would never have worked if it was titled the narrowboatee :)

Rick

• Greenie 1

Boatee might have been more correct, but most folk would recognise bargee as being associated with cargo carrying vessels, and it trips off the tongue easier. And with Maffers top called Leg O'Mutton lock and most cinema goers never knowing the difference (or the direction they were traveling) - I doubt it would have made any difference. I bet the few working boat folk who saw it had a good laugh at the errors.

Edited by Derek R.

17 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

If I may correct you, he is walking from the Aldwych, around the front entrance of Australia House into the Strand. You can see the Church of St. Mary Le Strand in the background towards which he walks after lighting up. Aldwych is wide, whereas Wild St. is quite narrow. The phone boxes are long gone.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5128621,-0.1147999,3a,75y,6.25h,94.14t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipMgXdWJpA8sz8MmZ4h6Huvrwgutwlqq3ODE6G4Q!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipMgXdWJpA8sz8MmZ4h6Huvrwgutwlqq3ODE6G4Q%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya134.9547-ro-0-fo100!7i5376!8i2688?hl=en

Edited by Derek R.