Sick Squirrel

Featured Posts

After refitting the flue pipe and singing the praises for our Morso Squirrel recently,it has now decided to come apart.

The back plate and top plate have separated.

My first thought is to try and repair it, as there appears to be no cracked castings.

How easy is it to get the top off? I assume there will be lots of solid bolts,that probably won't budge.It is also the backboiler version,so access is limited.

Any thoughts

P1040919.JPG

I've just compared your 'pic to my stove.  From your shot it looks like the top plate has 'gone home' too.

It might be that your Squirrel isn't sick nor tired and clapped out after a long squawk burn but is dead.

They are buggers to dismantle and re build.

Mine was 18 years old and goosed. There is someone at Nantwich Marina offering a stove rebuilding service. I think they also buy dead stoves. I found that I couldn't dismantle mine because all the bolts had "lost" metal and no tool I have would grip the nuts.

Chesire cats might like to beat up a sick squirrell. :lol:

49 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

The same thing happened to mine last winter. The fixings had more or less disintegrated after 17 years of use.

I dismantled the stove from the top downwards and although I think I could have repaired it I decided to buy another Squirrel stove.

After 17 years it had done well and I too would have bought another.

19 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

Mine was 18 years old and goosed. There is someone at Nantwich Marina offering a stove rebuilding service. I think they also buy dead stoves. I found that I couldn't dismantle mine because all the bolts had "lost" metal and no tool I have would grip the nuts.

I think we have decided to buy a new one. Although its possible to refurbish (good vid on youtube),it looks to be messy and time consuming. I have decided one of the lugs on the back plate has disintegrated (others probably won't be far behind). so no guarantees over longevity.

If anyone knows the cheapest place to but a new squirrel (or steel equivalent), please advise.

13 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Chesire cats might like to beat up a sick squirrell. :lol:

After 17 years it had done well and I too would have bought another.

Ours was 19 years, so time for the squirrel retirement home in the sky (keeping spares for the next one of course)

Edited by rusty69

Midland Chandler s have a freaky Friday sale on next week but check the price now.

I called in on the Monday to reserve one for the Friday and was told to wait while he checked the price.

It turned out that the Squirrel was the manager's special offer and I would save £60 if I bought it there and then which I did.

4 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Perhaps you need the squirrel doctor.

vet-concept-funny-squirrel-doc-hold-bottle-medications-whit-60858415.jpg.4120854d93fceca9a5bf60dcbcda8442.jpg

A squirrel undertaker would be more appropriate.

I took a pic of a squirrel in Hyde Park a few days back, perhaps it was a bad omen

P1040830.JPG

2 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

Midland Chandler s have a freaky Friday sale on next week but check the price now.

I called in on the Monday to reserve one for the Friday and was told to wait while he checked the price.

It turned out that the Squirrel was the manager's special offer and I would save £60 if I bought it there and then which I did.

Cheers

11 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Try Limekiln they are usualy a good price. You could try Midland swindlers as its freaky Friday next week but even with their discount they are probably still more expensive.

Cheers 800 at Limekiln, looks a decent price, pity they are bloomin miles away

13 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Could I ask what it cost?

Anyone know the difference between 1410 and 1430 models?

Edited by rusty69

9 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

refurb from eBay, mine was like new, new glass bricks, all painted and shiny, £400.

a few on there at the minute.

I had considered this, but although new paint, bricks and glass, there usually is no idea of the age of the stove, and hence the remaining life in the expensive /time consuming bits to replace. 

The last time I was in Midland Chandlers at Penkridge I asked about Morso prices and got the distinct impression that they would try very hard to match/beat any price in the uk, freaky friday or not.  

I think everyone knows Squirrels are overpriced so those that sell them are open to a bit of price conditioning. 

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Mine became an ex-squirrel after a pathetic 24 years. That means ownership cost me more than 50p a week!!!

On the othwer hand my £330 Boatman is pretty well knackered after five years.

How much was that a week??

Yes, I've completely revised my opinion after the Boatman experience, forgetting that the "crappy" Morso I replaced was actually 25 years old when it fell apart.  The two I have at home are coming up 25 and 30 years old and still original.  

I think the issue with Squirrels is when they do fail it's usually sudden and pretty spectacular, the one I had looked like it had been blown up, hence my knee jerk reaction and no doubt many others.