Live aboard moorings on the river Wey

Nick Best

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Nick Best said:

Despite Tingdene stating that they do not allow live aboard moorings at Pyrford Marina , they do . There are already a number of people in permanent residence on boats in the Marina .

I think you'll find no-one lives on a boat in there (except perhaps the harbourmaster).

Some may however, appear to spend 'a lot of time' on their boats...

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, Nick Best said:

Despite Tingdene stating that they do not allow live aboard moorings at Pyrford Marina , they do . There are already a number of people in permanent residence on boats in the Marina .

That may be a rule due to planning and other considerations. Rules are made to be broken though the Marina might face action if too many people claim they live-aboard 24x7x52. 

Some holiday parks close for 3 weeks in the Winter to prove they're not residential, perhaps a prudent time to book a holiday?

38 minutes ago, Nick Best said:

Welcome to the forum - interesting 1st post, is there a touch of 'sour grapes' in there ?  

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Welcome to the forum - interesting 1st post, is there a touch of 'sour grapes' in there ? 

Maybe he's like so many others, bought a boat to live on then realised it's not as easy as he thinks when it comes to finding a residential mooring and does not like being told he can't have a mooring in his desired Marina, so "Living the Dream" may be a little harder then he thinks.

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I was wondering this too. Chucked out of the marina for living aboard perhaps?

The River Wey is National Trust and they don't allow living aboard. I'm not sure quite how they enforce this, especially if a boater being lined up for enforcement claims to live elsewhere (e.g. on another boat on say, CRT waters!)

5 hours ago, Nick Best said:

Thankyou for enlightening us all.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

A while back a distant relation applied there for a mooring he had to produce up to date evidence of a land  based dwelling & up to date uility bills in his name  & IIRC not allowed to spend more than 5 nights per week aboard, again IIRC he gave up & found a mooring on the GU Was a few years back so may be different now but then it was certainly no live aboards

Just now, X Alan W said:

A while back a distant relation applied there for a mooring he had to produce up to date evidence of a land  based dwelling & up to date uility bills in his name  & IIRC not allowed to spend more than 5 nights per week aboard, again IIRC he gave up & found a mooring on the GU Was a few years back so may be different now but then it was certainly no live aboards

I'd suggest this policy is nothing to do with Ting Dene and everything to do with their NAA with the National Trust. Ting Dene don't give a monkey's s if you live aboard in their (far bigger) marina at Caversham so why should they at Pyrford? I suspect external pressure.  

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd suggest this policy is nothing to do with Ting Dene and everything to do with their NAA with the National Trust. Ting Dene don't give a monkey's s if you live aboard in their (far bigger) marina at Caversham so why should they at Pyrford? I suspect external pressure.  

And I might suggest various peeps crying loudly how unfair it all is will eventually mean there will come a time when there really arn't any liveaboards quietly getting on with their lives

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

Certain Tingdene staff do indeed live at Pyrford Marina. And a few boaters do reside on NT Wey moorings, but they are assistant weirkeepers, mooring wardens and (at one time, not sure currently) a lengthsman.

I am not subject to any rules about how long I can stay on my boat at Pyrford Marina. The only rule is that it cannot be my residence. 

As MtB said, Thames & Kennet Marina is something else. LOTS of smoking chimneys.

3 hours ago, Mike on the Wey said:

I am not subject to any rules aout how long I can stay on my boat at Pyrford Marina. The only rule is that it cannot be my residence. 

I'm reasonably sure there is at least another rule saying you must have a River Wey licence. 

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm reasonably sure there is at least another rule saying you must have a River Wey licence. 

Bizarrely, no. There are some boats in the marina without an annual Wey licence. Some never move, and others buy short term licences for their trips out. I was very surprised to learn that.

59 minutes ago, Mike on the Wey said:

Bizarrely, no. There are some boats in the marina without an annual Wey licence. Some never move, and others buy short term licences for their trips out. I was very surprised to learn that.

Not sure of the situation at the moment by 5 years ago the Broads Authority where trying to introduce the requirement to have a licence on adjoining waters as if you were moored down what was considered an unnavagatable  or private dyke you didnt need one until you went onto the broads navigation.

There are staff who are fully entitled to live there (and good thing too - mutual security and caretaking of boats). One of them is a forum member and very nice  tall man!

You do get the occaisional person who works, say locally < but lives in a home far away> whom stay aboard regularly for a few nights say <whilst working> and going back home weekly (so not living there).

You deffo don't need a Wey Licence there whilst inside.

The new marina at Send is coming along. Prob same rules?

Edited by mark99

No more than any person or supposedly responsible company / organisation turning a blind eye in the interest of making money. We must never forget that profit is far more important than rules or honesty. Tingdene are a prime example of that.

8 minutes ago, Nick Best said:

No more than any person or supposedly responsible company / organisation turning a blind eye in the interest of making money. We must never forget that profit is far more important than rules or honesty. Tingdene are a prime example of that.

Yeah your right, google, starbucks, tringdean.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Nick Best said:

Discretion? Does that mean do as you like and two fingers up to the rules ? Why not?

No, it's just a fact of living in something of a grey area with a seriously limited supply of official residential moorings. 

• Greenie 1

On 09/10/2017 at 21:14, Nick Best said:

What age did you reach before figuring this out? 

I think I got there aged about 11. 

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What age did you reach before figuring this out? 

I think I got there aged about 11. 

Rules and honesty are two completely different things.  There are many, many businesses that do not put profit before honesty, but rules can be broken or bent without compromising one's honesty.

• Greenie 2