March of the Wide Beams

rustynewbery

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

We go up and down that stretch every few weeks and since the summer there has always been at least one 'shell' there (by bridges 101/102). Never seem to be anyone on board fitting them out but each one seems to stay at least 2-3 weeks. Near to the Flecknoe road so obviously a good place to leave them.....except when parked too near the bridge.

Yes there was a different shell, one in grey primer that started off near Napton junction and then moved to close to bridge 104.  Bridge 102 is the best road access with parking, we use that area quite a bit when my wife is travelling to work.  Moored in a suitable location I don't have an issue with the widebeams, it is more an observation that they seem to be more prevalent than previously in the 8 years that we have had the boat moored at Calcutt.

Where i am at willington come summer get loads of the widebeams from Mercia cruise between the marina and the winding hole at the back of the Dragon all of less than a mile each way! one of them actually passed me 6 times in each direction one evening last summer, when i asked him if he was lost he said oh i dont take my boat through locks as i dont want to scratch the paintwork! 

Rick 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Probably more appropriate is the Navigation Advisory Group (NAG).  I'd be surprised if NAG had not raised this given that people like Sue Cawson and Mark Tzzard sit on NAG.  Mark posts on here, so perhaps he will comment.  Alternately the meeting notes from that group should be on te CRT web-site

It has certainly been raised within CRT through the South East Partnership Boaters Subgroup. (Many of the areas affected are within South East waterways).  I

It was brought up by CRT as a growing issue at last weeks NAG meeting and it would appear that CRT are looking to take some action to try and ensure/persuade  widebeams to cruise on waterways where the navigation is deemed suitable.To address areas like those discussed on the North Oxford. At this stage there were no clear proposals from them and it was also going to be discussed at the NAG Ops meeting the following day, also last week. So the subject is definitely now on CRTs agenda.

there are no minutes yet but they should be up in the CRT website in a couple of weeks.

17 minutes ago, Tuscan said:

It was brought up by CRT as a growing issue at last weeks NAG meeting and it would appear that CRT are looking to take some action to try and ensure/persuade  widebeams to cruise on waterways where the navigation is deemed suitable.To address areas like those discussed on the North Oxford. At this stage there were no clear proposals from them and it was also going to be discussed at the NAG Ops meeting the following day, also last week. So the subject is definitely now on CRTs agenda.

there are no minutes yet but they should be up in the CRT website in a couple of weeks.

Thank you Mark