March of the Wide Beams

rustynewbery

Featured Posts

On 06/10/2017 at 09:11, Athy said:

The trouble with some narrowboaters is that they suffer from an affliction called a "sense of humour". This has not yet affected all widebeam-boat owners.

There was nothing to indicate the post I responded to was a joke and as a forum moderator you should really know better than trying to provoke members and stir up trouble. Other members also didn't see any joke in that post about obstructing navigation. 

Edited by blackrose

19 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

I find the march of widebeams depressing.

I luv widebeams :D why wouldn't you like a boat that handles better, is more stable and VASTLY more comfortable than a narrowboat? Lets be honest 7 feet wide is a pain in the aress and none of us would pick it as a first choice width if we hadn't been lumbered with 7 feet wide locks. Yes some people don't get it that certain locations are unsuitable for certain boats but it doesn't mean the boats are crap.

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, DandV said:

Obese boats marching around aren't great. But just floating  around, they're ok. Still don't look any good.

Speaking as someone who has live aboard both narrow and wide I can from experience state that wide is imeasureably better, the only problem we have is the stupid narrow system.

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I luv widebeams :D why wouldn't you like a boat that handles better, is more stable and VASTLY more comfortable than a narrowboat?

I've never had a problem handling our narrowboat. No problem with stability and comfort either.

I find it's lines and proportions pleasing to the eye.

I cannot say the same about widebeam narrow (sic) boats.

The look like a photo of a proper narrowboat where the horizontal axis has been doubled leaving the vertical axis constant.

In other words, just plain wrong!

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Speaking as someone who has live aboard both narrow and wide I can from experience state that wide is imeasureably better, the only problem we have is the stupid narrow system.

Typical Widebeam owner. Picks a boat too wide for the locks, then comes on here moaning the locks are too narrow for his boat!!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

This is the sort of thread that really makes me feel negative about this forum. 

If wide boats including narrowboat-style widebeams, Dutch barges or cruisers are in places where they shouldn't be that's one thing and people have a right to complain about anyone who's obstructing navigation. But if it's just another excuse for a rant and moan against wide boats amongst some narrow-minded narrrow boaters, well that's just depressing... 

You have said it yourself they shouldn't be on a narrow canal. End of

12 minutes ago, Tonka said:

You have said it yourself they shouldn't be on a narrow canal. End of

End of...  ...the north Oxford isn't a 'narrow' canal because there aren't any locks to restrict it to less than 7' 6" and the bridges are wide. That's what I assume you would have said if you had finished the sentence?

There is actually precedent for boats wider than the locks on the canal they operate on being constructed specifically to work within specific pounds. 'Hampton boats are a good example as is at least one trip boat in Birmingham.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 3

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

There was nothing to indicate the post I responded to was a joke and as a forum moderator you should really know better than trying to provoke members and stir up trouble. Other members also didn't see any joke in that post about obstructing navigation. 

I rest my case.

57 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

If I am cruising the I would estimate 9 out of 10 narrow boats (or more) that come towards me going the other way, I dont have to take 'significant' avoidance action. Maybe 1 out of 10 (or less) ie at a bridge or blind bend and I have to take avoiding action - viz going into reverse. If they had all been wide beams then these numbers would look a lot different - a significant obstruction to navigation. They slow down lock operation by 50% or more and when moored in areas that are not wide they become an unnecessary chicane. I think they are a pain. Not a rant. Not a moan. Just a reaction to wide beams causing obstructions to navigation. No problem with them when they are not - for example moored up in a marina or moored on a wide section of the cut.

I ventured from Braunston to Marsworth and back over the summer and didn't have any issues with widebeams. I only recall passing two on the move. Shared locks with one going in the same direction.

JP

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Couldnt agree more ... if the system was built to accommodate widebeams whatever their shape, i am sure me and more than a few others on here would have them without a second thought, just like if all the canals could accommodate a full length narrowboat,  57'-60'  would never be the preferred size 

Rick

10 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Yeh Obesety is normally justified as comfort over functionality

10 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

9 out of 10 narrow boats (or more) that come towards me going the other way

Surely, if they are coming towards you they must be going the 'other way' ?

As I was going to St Ives, I met a man with 7 wives, each wife had 7 cats, each cat had 7 kits, how many were going to St Ives ?