How much gas do you use?

Wrinkley

Featured Posts

Less than 13kg in 9 years.

Regular boating 

No Water Heater

No Fridge

Savvy gas usage - Grill lit, place kettle or saucepan over the top at same time.

Solid fuel stove lit, always has kettle on the go. Stews etc. slow cooking away.

Gas bottle turned off at night and disconnected when away.

It's got to be nearly empty by now though, unless somebody is winding me up and changing it when I'm away just to witness my confusion and bragging about how little gas I'm using :blink: 

28 minutes ago, Wrinkley said:

We use 13kg of gas every six weeks. No leaks just the cooker.  Only two of us but 13 kg ever 6 weeks!  I think that's too much.  How much do you use?

I havnt a clue but suppose its about 4 x 13s a year? We eat out in pubs restaurants about 4 times a week so its not much. Now lets put your six weeks useage into context at 28 squids a cylinder that's about £4.66 a week, hardly bloomin expensive is it.

8 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Less than 13kg in 9 years.

Regular boating 

No Water Heater

No Fridge

Savvy gas usage - Grill lit, place kettle or saucepan over the top at same time.

Solid fuel stove lit, always has kettle on the go. Stews etc. slow cooking away.

Gas bottle turned off at night and disconnected when away.

It's got to be nearly empty by now though, unless somebody is winding me up and changing it when I'm away just to witness my confusion and bragging about how little gas I'm using :blink: 

This always makes me laugh like when liveaboards with a similar size water tank to ours tell me theirs lasts 2 weeks or a month......................well ours lasts about a week but then again we both shower at least once daily and wash our clothes etc.

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I havnt a clue but suppose its about 4 x 13s a year? We eat out in pubs restaurants about 4 times a week so its not much. Now lets put your six weeks useage into context at 28 squids a cylinder that's about £4.66 a week, hardly bloomin expensive is it.

This always makes me laugh like when liveaboards with a similar size water tank to ours tell me theirs lasts 2 weeks or a month......................well ours lasts about a week but then again we both shower at least once daily and wash our clothes etc.

However my 50 gallon water tank can expire after 2.5 days.

I'm happy with that as gas costs, water doesn't.

4 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

However my 50 gallon water tank can expire after 2.5 days.

I'm happy with that as gas costs, water doesn't.

Ahh 50 gallons in that time means you must get washed also :D and if 13 kg lasts you nine years all I can say is you need to turn the bottle on.

12 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I wish our tank lasted a week, but then it would take twice as long to fill. Washing up is the killer, Her who must be obeyed wont have a sink full of dirty crocks. We also shower every day and flush the loo

44 minutes ago, Wrinkley said:

We use 13kg of gas every six weeks. No leaks just the cooker.  Only two of us but 13 kg ever 6 weeks!  I think that's too much.  How much do you use?

That's the same as us, liveaboards with ordinary house size cooker, used for kettle and daily cooking usually from scratch, we like to eat well :D

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wish our tank lasted a week, but then it would take twice as long to fill. Washing up is the killer, Her who must be obeyed wont have a sink full of dirty crocks. We also shower every day and flush the loo

Yes I agree and have just washed up!!!! Thing is water useage, gas useage, leccy useage in all honesty is an impossible question to answer as no two boats, couples/people will ever use the same as we all have differing lifestyles.

1  person only . Full time liveaboard . Gas used only for oven , grill and hob . 3 x 13 KG per year . 

Can i ask out of interest : If one used an alde ( older type tall & slim thing ) for just heating a water tank only - say one hour per use , how many days ( approx of course ) might you expect a 13 kg bottle to last ? 

cheers

We use about 13g  every 8 to 10 weeks. (three season live aboards)

Mainly for cooking, grill used most mornings, oven or hob or both most nights) bake our own bread twice a week and  have the  CH running on the odd occasion for an hour in the evening. The only time i turn the gas off is when I change the bottle.  

I expect some appliances are more frugal than others . We have a Spinflow prima mk3 oven and grill 

2 minutes ago, 1agos said:

We use about 13g  every 8 to 10 weeks. (three season live aboards)

Mainly for cooking, grill used most mornings, oven or hob or both most nights) bake our own bread twice a week and  have the  CH running on the odd occasion for an hour in the evening. The only time i turn the gas off is when I change the bottle.  

I expect some appliances are more frugal than others . We have a Spinflow prima mk3 oven and grill 

Wow 

13 grams every 10 weeks !!! . I thought my  3 bottles a year was quite good . Im an amateur !! 

2 hours ago, Wrinkley said:

Lets have a look at what 13kg of propane gives you.

1kg has a calorific content of 13.9kWhr so 13kg should give you 180KWhr

Per week that would be 30kWhr

Per day just over 4 kWhr

Given a ring will provide 2-3kW of heat, and an oven when warming up will take the same, it would only take a combined hour or two heavy cooking every day to consume that amount of propane over 6 weeks.

It sounds about right if you cook every day. Especially if you don't turn pans down to a simmer.

7 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Apart from a cure for cancer, the one thing the world needs is an accurate contents indicator for gas bottles.

When I was a lad growing up in Irish country side we used to pick up the bottle and give it a shake to determine how full it was but having said that I guess this cannot be easily done with the confined gas lockers on your

14 hours ago, chubby said:

1  person only . Full time liveaboard . Gas used only for oven , grill and hob . 3 x 13 KG per year . 

Can i ask out of interest : If one used an alde ( older type tall & slim thing ) for just heating a water tank only - say one hour per use , how many days ( approx of course ) might you expect a 13 kg bottle to last ? 

cheers

We have an alde comfort boiler which we use daily to heat our water and 13kg lasts about 3 weeks.