Water stains

Dave 2

Featured Posts

Hi all 

I have a historic problem with water staining to the roof panels around the vents. This was due to the previous owner winding the mushroom vents up as far as they could go, looked like umbrellas when I viewed the boat. The  boats been sorted out and the only thing spoiling it is the dark water stains around the vents in the cabin. The panels are medium oak any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sorry, I failed to mention that you will need to strip off the varnish prior to trying the oxalic acid. Hence the reference to painting being easier. 

Hi watever

You  are right, it's the basis of a number of bleaching and metal cleaning products. I don't think it's a good idea to use it before having a look at the H and S details. One of its drawbacks to my mind is that the crystals look just like sugar, on the rare occasions I've lent my box of crystals to a boater it's been the whole box complete with all the warnings on the side. I did read of an instance of a pub landlord drinking a fatal dose thinking it was gin. Not sure if the tale is true but it makes me very carefull! 

Painting the roof panels and superstructure with a light colour is quite common now, I think it makes the boat feel more spacious and takes away the coffin like look that you tend to get with older varnish which has gone darker.

Edited by Mike Jordan

1 hour ago, Mike Jordan said:

Painting the roof panels and superstructure with a light colour is quite common now, I think it makes the boat feel more spacious and takes away the coffin like look that you tend to get with older varnish which has gone darker.

Agreed. OP is unlikely to get anything like a perfect oak finish now, whatever he does.