Tracing history of historc working boat

Nigel B

Featured Posts

Hi to you all I am working on a family history and found that a family member ran this boat but this is all that i could get about the boat

Imperator 766 No 40, cabined wooden horseboat, BCN gauging No 766, 21/11/1923.

Can any one tell me any other history for this boat or were to look I have searched the net but this is all I could get

thanks

4 hours ago, Nigel B said:
4 hours ago, Nigel B said:

Hi to you all I am working on a family history and found that a family member ran this boat but this is all that i could get about the boat

Imperator 766 No 40, cabined wooden horseboat, BCN gauging No 766, 21/11/1923.

Can any one tell me any other history for this boat or were to look I have searched the net but this is all I could get

thanks

A bit of info here http://www.spurstow.com/rogerfuller/historic/lms.htm

It looks as if Roger Fuller put that together , he has a boat yard in Stone and he may be able to help you more. Also the BCNS may have access to the gauging books to give an idea what she carried and where she went

Edited by ditchcrawler

12 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

I have found the following on a Post-It note in writing desk:

IMPERATOR was a new boat when health registered as Chester 636 on 16 July 1907 for the Shropshire Union Railways and Canal Company, Chester. and carried fleet number 604. As IMPERATOR was not gauged at this time it would be fair to assume that it operated across the Shropshire Union Canals only. With a length of 70'0'', beam of 6'10¾'' and a maximum capacity of 28 tons I would suggest that this was one of their barrel sided boats, and this is partially confirmed on its health registration where it is noted as being Fly - the master at this time being Samuel Bell. IMPERATOR was a wooden hulled unpowered narrow boat that would have been pulled by a horse.

When Shropshire Union Railways and Canal Company were wound up in the early 1920's their boats found a number of new owners, and IMPERATOR went to London, Midland and Scottish Railway Company, Wolverhampton. Under this ownership IMPERATOR was B.C.N. gauged BCN766 on 21 November 1923, and carried the fleet number 40. The articles on board when gauged are consistent with a long distance family boat, and this is confirmed by the health registration Chester 636 on 22 February 1924 when IMPERATOR was approved as a dwelling.

Although I hope you find this of interest I have no record of how or when IMPERATOR was broken up :captain:

I thought you would know if anyone did Peter

the family name we are looking for is Walley. my info would point to them being on the boat around 1918 and into the 1920s

The family connection is the wife's aunt as far as we know was a child on Imperator and passably born aboard.

I will look at my paper work on it when I get home tonight and post any relevant stuff.

again many thanks for the help received.

24 minutes ago, Nigel B said:

the family name we are looking for is Walley. my info would point to them being on the boat around 1918 and into the 1920s

The family connection is the wife's aunt as far as we know was a child on Imperator and passably born aboard.

I will look at my paper work on it when I get home tonight and post any relevant stuff.

again many thanks for the help received.

In the 1960's the Norbury Jcn BW workshops were operating, the section inspector was Teddy Bowden & the foreman was Jack  Whalley  he came from boating ancestry who worked for the SUR&CC & later on the SUC for other carriers He lived in one of the bungalows at Mk Drayton opposite the basin He will have passed away by now but may still have descendants in the area

• Greenie 1